Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 723 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,655 Page Views | 18,601 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AdviceTips

First Pix 4D model - Not impressed3642

WGAN Basic
Denver
pixelray private msg quote post Address this user
Here is the link to the model:

clickable text

First time we used this. This looks very cheap to me. Anyone using this have any tips? Suggestions as to what we may have done wrong here? Looks nothing like what they are selling.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Jamie private msg quote post Address this user
Done with a drone I'm assuming
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Basic
Denver
Yep
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Basic
Denver
Phantom3Pro
Post 4 IP   flag post
Jamie private msg quote post Address this user
I guess it's the processing resolution
It should be much clearer than that
Post 5 IP   flag post
HarlanHambright private msg quote post Address this user
rougher than MP mesh view.
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Basic
Denver
Yeah...pretty brutal. Harlan - don't you do Pix4D?
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Basic
Denver
I thought I remember you mentioning once you use it...I know a few people here use it.
Post 8 IP   flag post
nope, not me, you have confused me with another good looking old guy. i do have a phantom 3 pro, however.
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN Basic
Denver
darn - maybe someone will chime in. I was really excited about this product and my dreams were crushed after I saw this result.
Post 10 IP   flag post
i think you have to triangulate the mesh. there's a youtube video. near top in google search.
Post 11 IP   flag post
davemckean private msg quote post Address this user
I played with Pix 4D about 8 months ago. It was only the trial version and us such I do not have the 3D model loaded anywhere to share however I created this flyover within Pix4D. The resolution is a little better than your model. I use an Inspire 1 and did not allow the app to map out a flight plan. I performed a free flight and took more images and a lot closer together than what I found the app did on automatic flight. I did not purchase the software as I did not think it was delivering a product that was sellable for real estate marketing purposes as yet. I have been meaning to try out Drone Deploy as well but have not gotten around to it just yet.

The main thing I could not achieve to my satisfaction in Pix4D was to get any definition on the walls of buildings. Anything under a roof comes out very stretched. I tried taking photos on different angles to see if that would improve the walls but unfortunately it did not.

My skills may not be as good as others and with a bit of tweaking of the settings you may get a better result but I think trees are always going to come out as blobs with no definition due to their composition.

This model was done with 140 photos combining photos looking straight down from two different altitudes and also on an angle at two different altitudes.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
@pixelray Looks pretty awesome, however, the definition is a bit low and I'm guessing that the season didn't help you out too much as the colors are all a bit washed out (green would be nice, right?)

Here's my silly question. How does the same place look in Google Earth?
Post 13 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
But if you looked at the model on Pix4d webpage this is about the same as what was on it. But if you look at the point cloud they have a pretty amazing program. I hope you are using the trial program and did not invest in it. If you did buy it, I would focus on architect's that are looking for overall exterior point clouds. That is another thriving business, maybe team up with any surveyors that use scanners and don't have drone services. Just a thought.

Ron
Post 14 IP   flag post
JC3DCX private msg quote post Address this user
Looks more like an animation than real life,
Post 15 IP   flag post
WGAN Basic
Denver
@metroplex - well, good thing I am getting one of Gus's (Inspirational Views) Google Fly through videos for this one huh? Definitely much better!

Ron - definitely using the trial - I would like to argue the point though of my model looking like the couple they show on their site. I see much more clarity on their examples.

Dave - thanks for posting that and your tips. That's more of what I was hoping for.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Ramblinman private msg quote post Address this user
@pixelray

I work with Pix4D on a regular basis. The key to 3D modelling with this program is to have a min of 80% photo overlap, and minimize capturing the sky when your taking photos. YouTube have lots of tutorials to show you how to properly manipulate the program.
Let's say I wanted to create a model of a cell tower. I would fly around it at a high altitude and have my camera at 45 degrees taking about 30-34 photos and then a second flight at a li'l lower altitude and the camera at 30 degrees capturing about 30 photos again. Pix4D has great support tutorials, forms and Facebook pages to help users out. They also hold seminars all over the world and hold webinars on a regular basis. It's not the best program, but it beats the pants off Drone Deploy and similar programs. I've been using it for a year and they have made lots of updates to get better results and easier to use.

A note to other users, Pix4D was created for surveying, agriculture, construction and architecture purposes. Not useful in real estate unless your creating by a map of some acreage to upload to Google Earth(kml file) to show an updated map of the property and to help the surveying team.

Good luck
Post 17 IP   flag post
WGAN Basic
Denver
Thanks Ramblinman - will do what you suggested on the next one. Appreciate your input greatly.
Post 18 IP   flag post
WGAN Basic
Denver
@Ramblinman - I wonder why Pix4d doesn't explain that process a little better up front? In the main video on the website, it makes one believe that one circle above the property is all it takes? I get there is youtube videos explaining how to do it better - which I should have researched before going out to try this for the first time. But that video led me to believe that was all I needed to do. Just seems to be somewhat misleading.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Ramblinman private msg quote post Address this user
I couldn't agree more @pixelray. I'm hoping you took the trial version of the software before purchasing it?! A lot of what we have done in the last year has been trial & error. Thank goodness we have some tech support to help us when we clearly messed things up!
Post 20 IP   flag post
101428 20 20
This topic is archived. Start new topic?