Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 1,001 Unique Visitors
9,053 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 33,924 Page Views | 18,799 Unique Visitors | 25 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AdviceIndustryTips

Matterport for Construction Projects?3619

Ramblinman private msg quote post Address this user
I'd like to know if any of you are using matterport for Construction projects, with Architects, renovation work etc..

If so, please share your experiences within this field of work, like converting files into AutoDesk software, accuracy for measuring etc..
Post 1 IP   flag post
Standard
Wandsworth U.K.
RobinLycka private msg quote post Address this user
We´ve used it for project documentation/progress follow-up.

There´s an article on accuracy here:

Article on Matterport accuracy vs. Leica P20
Post 2 IP   flag post
agradoville private msg quote post Address this user
We are also using this for project documentation and project progress updates to the owner.
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@Ramblinman

Can you give us context for your questions?

Thanks,

Dan
Post 4 IP   flag post
@DanSmigrod
We would like to use Matterport for project documentation and project progress updates ....we also have architects wanting us to scan areas that will be renovated and convert the files to obj so they can have a base in AutoCad to start a redesign/reno work....this would speed things up for the architect because they would not have to send anyone to site to take measurements and then spend a week or two building the AutoCad file/drawings. So basically architects are concerned with the accuracy of Matterport

@3DscannUK thanks for the info

@agradoville & @3DscannUK How has this side of the business been for you? Do you do much construction documentation? We would like to have one guy just doing construction projects. Just trying to determine if its feasible to focus on this customer base.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Does anyone know if you can correct the measurements with the Matterport scans? Lets say for example the Matterport scan concluded that a room was 14'-6" x 14'-6" but it was really 15'x15'...is there a way to correct the measurements?
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@Ramblinman

Thank you for the backstory.

Please see these related Forum post:

Accuracy of Matterport Scan for Construction
Matterport to CAD by Veriscian
VirtualSite for AEC | OBJ --> PTS / FBX / 3DS / More
Matterport Object File (.obj --> Point Cloud (.pts)
Matterport Object File to SketchUp .SKP File

@JoshReadhead with Veriscian makes it super-easy and super-fast to convert Matterport Object files (.obj) to Point Cloud (.pts); 3DS Max (.3ds) and FBX (.fbx) files.

Best,

Dan
Post 7 IP   flag post
Putten NLD
DannyBasting private msg quote post Address this user
@Ramblinman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblinman

We would like to use Matterport for project documentation and project progress updates ....we also have architects wanting us to scan areas that will be renovated and convert the files to obj so they can have a base in AutoCad to start a redesign/reno work....

You should use the XYZ pointcloud from Matterport instead of the OBJ. The obj file isn't usable for your needs.

You can get the XYZ file free of charge while in beta using this form

I use Archicad to create my CAD models from this cloud data. You can read more about my workflow in this thread. The same principles apply when you use Revit or AutoCad.

I am currently looking in to some software that allows people without CAD software to annotate and measure inside the pointcloud file. The annotations can be exported in CSV file format for easy sharing.

I'll create a dedicated thread on this topic later today.

Danny
Post 8 IP   flag post
@DannyBastings

Danny, I ck out the thread...amazing....this is the kind of stuff I was looking for,if Matterport provides a XYZ file for pointclouds I don't think I'll need to worry about using another service provider to go from obj to pts...any other format I could probably get via GlobalMapper software,... hopefully the beta XYZ will turn into something that is permanent.

"I am currently looking in to some software that allows people without CAD software to annotate and measure inside the pointcloud file. The annotations can be exported in CSV file format for easy sharing."

Very interesting and useful! Are you correcting/scaling the Matterport PointCloud to make it more accurate? or just working with the 1% error in measurement?

I work with Pix4D often, I know you can measure within the pointCloud, I'm sure other software has that same ability. Maybe QGIS software would allow measurements? Its free software, just not sure on its total functions just yet, I've only played with it a few times. Its open source so its constantly evolving.

Most of the architects I've been dealing with on another side of my business use AutoDesk software such as Revit...anything that can be used within BIM is great stuff

We should keep in touch. Awesome stuff!
Post 9 IP   flag post
andreabortolot private msg quote post Address this user
We've been using MP for reverse engineering for over 1 year. If you need a simple software to take measures and make sections from point cloud datas than you need autodesk recap. But be careful when placing the arrow to measure...
The best thing is convert point cloud to CAD format. Rgds
Post 10 IP   flag post
Putten NLD
DannyBasting private msg quote post Address this user
@Ramblinman

I've been rather busy so my response got a bit delayed SOrry fot that. You can read about the application I mentioned earlier over here.

Quote:

hopefully the beta XYZ will turn into something that is permanent.

It will. That's the only reason I invested in the Matterport camera. They told me the that while in beta, the service will be free. When fully released, they will charge a small fee for this service.

Quote:

Very interesting and useful! Are you correcting/scaling the Matterport PointCloud to make it more accurate? or just working with the 1% error in measurement?

I use the data as t is. I took some measurements during my first scans and compared those to the scanned data. I was amazed by its accuracy and it lives up to my standards.

Quote:

I work with Pix4D often, I know you can measure within the pointCloud, I'm sure other software has that same ability. Maybe QGIS software would allow measurements? Its free software, just not sure on its total functions just yet, I've only played with it a few times. Its open source so its constantly evolving.

I'll make sure to look in to those as soon as a got some extra time on my hands!

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Post 11 IP   flag post
101721 11 11
This topic is archived. Start new topic?