Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Virtual Reality

Matterport VR + Unity 5 + Oculus Rift -> ???357

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by @kc1302
I am a level designer/environment artist currently working with VR and I am interested in Matterport.

Subject : Unity 5 + Oculus rift + Matterport.

1. Can the matterport scan ultra-high resolution meshes with ultra high resolution textures?

2. If so? Are these .obj read and write protected?

3. Can I just open the files without any restrictions?

4. Has anyone tried decimating the meshes?

5. Has anyone tried turning the textures into atlases?

6. Would that work?

Does anyone here understand my questions? If not, feel free to ask more questions.
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@pthor Something that you can comment on / answer?

@kc1302 you may find this guest blog post helpful:

Matterport 3D 'Mesh View' Examples Converted to Virtual Reality by Viacator

It's written by Vicator Founder and Chief Technology Officer Peter Thor (@pthor)whom is a member of this Forum.

Thanks for asking your questions.

Dan
Post 2 IP   flag post
Foundry45 private msg quote post Address this user
The meshes I've seen are really low resolution, as well as the colors that map to those meshes. The high resolution panos aren't available (yet), but even if they were, I'm not sure how you'd connect the mesh to that higher resolution imagery. Decimating the meshes could give you higher resolution geometry, but you wouldn't have colors at higher res to match. I'm certainly not a Matterport or 3D modeling expert, so please take these guesses with a grain of salt!
Post 3 IP   flag post
kc1302 private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod

Thank you for the reply. I read the article, however nothing on the resolution of the meshes.

@Foundry45
Oh I get it. The color data of the geometry is stored per vertex. Decimating the geometry would result in very muddy color data and the lost of the texture definition.
Makes perfectly sense.

I know in Zbrush, you can temporarily store vertex color data to a temporarily UV layer called GUV.
Not quite sure if this GUV data can be reprojected on a decimated mesh.
If G.U.V's won't cut it. I am sure there is another way.

My guess (take this with a grain of salt)
If the high-resolution data (colors and mesh) is high, so crisp and sharp. It could be worth while to do a re-topo of the high resolution and bake out (render to texture) the high res color data to a optimized low resolution mesh so it can be used accordingly in a game engine.
Since the meshes are drawn and processed twice, it might worth the effort to do this for Gear VR.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Foundry45 private msg quote post Address this user
@kc1302 there might be a way to map the hi-res panoramas to the low res mesh. Just to be clear, I believe there is no high res mesh. From what I understand, the Matterport device has a completely different device that's measuring depth to create the meshes. Microsoft's kinect was similar in that the depth resolution was only 500px or so, even though the camera image was much greater.

It might be possible to make something that looks good, but I haven't seen anything yet. It would be really cool!
Post 5 IP   flag post
alx3D private msg quote post Address this user
You can view a few examples of what the mesh MP looks like and what kind of resolution you get here:
https://sketchfab.com/alx3ddesigns/models

I do not think MP will ever make the 18 images or pano data avalible from what I can tell.

The obj files are not protected but the obj is made up of layers (approx 1 per scan) but the layers are not organized to correspond with info taken at a specific location. A layer may contain information spread over the entire property. Decimating the mesh puts all these layers together but does not influence the appearance in my opinion.

The mesh is great for large scale items and things like couches, beds, etc.

bad for reflective surfaces and items with thin or fine detail, fixtures, railing, etc.
Post 6 IP   flag post
101429 6 6
This topic is archived. Start new topic?