Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 837 Unique Visitors
9,052 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 35,106 Page Views | 19,195 Unique Visitors | 29 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
OutdoorsScanning

Matterport>How to Successfully Scan Outdoors3531

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All,

A new Matterport emailed me the following:

"I have a client asking for an outdoor tour. I explained that it needs to be done either at sunrise or sunset. So I am searching the group for examples of how that looks and I cam across your model of the English Gardens... Can you send me the URL? Do you have any other tours that may be of help to me?"

Here's my reply. (What would you add?)

Happy holidays,

Dan

---

Hello [redacted],

Here are four options for scanning outdoors:

1. As long as the camera does not see the sun, you will be successful. Clouds do not count for blocking the sun. A building - or other structure - needs to block the sun.

Examples:

English Gardens | Rooftop Bar (night) | Student Center at Sunset

Related Forum Links

Matterport Scanning Tips: Outdoors
How to Scan an Outdoor Pool?
Capture Outdoors at Night

2. You can use Matterport's 360º Views feature, BUT they only show up in the highlights Reel (and no easy way to "walk inside to outside and outside to inside" )

Related Forum Links

ICSF16-New, 360º Outdoor Views Announcement
ICSF16-Video: Matterport Google VR/360 Views

3. Use a Ricoh Theta S (or Samsung Gear 360º) 360º spherical Camera + WP3D Models (example)

Related Forum Links

Matterport + Theta S + WP3D Models=>Outdoors
Matterport+ Theta S + WP3D Models + Round.me

4. Scan at night (with some natural or added light) - the Matterport Camera does (reasonably) well in low light

Related Forum Links

Capture Outdoors at Night

See this example by @tosolina (beautiful)

Since you are just starting out, join as a Standard Member of the We Get Around Network to get free use of 10 of these Matterport Spaces 3D tours for your website.

Happy holidays,

Dan

Post 1 IP   flag post
JC3DCX private msg quote post Address this user
Sometimes with the direct sunlight blocked you might still experience misalignment issues and need to check that each scan align in the correct spot on the map.
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@JC3DCX

Great point.

When scanning outdoors - especially at night - after each scan, look to see that the scan gets placed where you expect it to go (that does not always happen). If the scan shows up in a random place, delete that scan and try moving the tripod closer to the last successful scan.

Best,

Dan
Post 3 IP   flag post
justinv private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod

Expect to take twice as long scanning but it usually can be done with patience. You need to be close to a wall, tree or something that can be picked up for the alignment. I would also suggest taking more than you think is necessary and hiding in workshop.

I went to scan a house thinking this is a 11,000 sq foot house. Got there and the front door opens into a courtyard with a guest house, pool, main house, etc. It was one of my first few scans and I could not figure it out without scanning a foot off the wall. I ended up going back at dusk and was able to get the entire courtyard. I left all scans in to show the difference in the scans but I polished the final product by removing some scans. clickable text
Post 4 IP   flag post
aerialpixels private msg quote post Address this user
@justinv

nice work!

but what i really wanna say is - omg! what a house!
Post 5 IP   flag post
101629 5 5
This topic is archived. Start new topic?