Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 473 Unique Visitors
9,022 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 40,828 Page Views | 20,383 Unique Visitors | 44 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
ICNY17Virtual Reality

Matterport VR for iPhones by 17 January 20173516

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user

Video: At Inman Connect in San Francisco (5 August 2016), Matterport announced Matterport VR for Google Cardboard (Android); 360º Views to Enable Outdoor Viewing; and MatterTags for highlighting key features.

Hi All,

I could imagine that Matterport will launch Virtual Reality (VR) viewing on iPhones or before Tuesday, 17 January 2017 so that it can announce it at the technology meets real estate conference, Inman Connect (16-20 January 2017 in New York City).

Trade shows drive product development. And, Matterport likes to announce new services and features at Inman Connect (even if they say "coming soon" and take almost a year to actually launch what they announce).

In this instance, I could imagine that Matterport will announce, demo and deliver Matterport VR on iPhones.

Matterport first announced that VR for iOS was "coming soon" more than three months ago. On 2 December, Matterport announced that there was a very good chance that it would launch iPhone VR before the end of 2016.

That's unlikely to happen next week, even if the Matterport VR team is ready.

Since Matterport doesn't plan to have exhibit space at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) (5-8 January 2017), so no announcement there. (And, it's unlikely that Matterport would want to compete for many other likely VR announcements at CES.)

That leaves five business days between CEO and Inman. And the week after CES will likely still be dominated by CES news and commentary.

So, for me the magic date for announcing Matterport VR for iPhone is Tuesday, 17 January 2017. That's the deadline I imagine that Matterport executives told the team that Matterport "must" announce, demo and deliver.

I could even imagine that the announcement - media release - is Monday, 17 January 2017.

By the way, the dark horse in this race is MP2VR that also announced that it is working on Matterport VR for iPhone.

What do you think? Will Matterport deliver VR for iPhone by Tuesday, 17 January 2017?

Happy holidays,

Dan

P.S. VR Goes Mainstream: Why Aren't You Using it? is an Inman Connect Session, 10 am on Tuesday, 17 January 2017.

#ICNYC17
Post 1 IP   flag post
Dana Point, CA
RPOceanic private msg quote post Address this user
Do I think they will announce by 17 of January.... eh. The best I can come up with is a whole lotta hope. With the extension of the free Core VR from January until June, I suspect they may be delayed getting it up and ready. Being tethered to IOS/Apple by way of the capture app, it sure would be nice to be standardized and able to view VR on same! More importantly- I can't really promote VR for my business until it is available to the massive amount of Apple users out there. That's a compromise to the cutting edge technology claim I boast regarding Matterport.
Post 2 IP   flag post
FurnitureScanner private msg quote post Address this user
At this point, if MP2VR can't pull this off, Matterport Core VR is where we'll be heading. For MP2VR, I thought iOS support was planned for October/November. I prefer MP2VR's experience on Samsung Gear compared to Matterport's Gear app. At this point, we've been waiting for so long for iOS support that we'll back whoever finishes first. 90% of our users are iOS, so, we really just need this launched.
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Well, looks like I just have eight days left to be right on my prediction

I (still) believe Matterport will wait until Monday or Tuesday to announce at Inman Connect NYC 2017.

What do you think?

Dan
Post 4 IP   flag post
Property3dNZ private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod Fingers crossed Dan!!
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Property3dNZ

Dan
Post 6 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
No updates to showcase yet in 2017. Typically features are added ahead of announcement and require account based flags to use. Examples include forever, mattertags, mattertag links etc

Current flags that exist for unreleased, unfinished and not in testing features are social sharing (enabled in matterplus) and showcase_api which is blocked from being enabled right now.
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Metroplex360

We (all) better cross some more fingers and toes.

Dan

P.S. I could imagine that an iOS has already been approved by Apple Store and that Matterport is holding it's release until Monday (16 January 2017) or Tuesday.
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Friday the 13th (2017)

Sometimes I receive a Matterport newsletter on Wednesday and sometime on Friday. So far this week, no newsletter.

Perhaps Matterport skips this week to focus on their Inman Connect news.

Interestingly, I do not see a $900 off promotion on their website.

Perhaps they plan to announce either a new camera or new discount at Inman Connect?

Dan
Post 9 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Only evidence I have found for a new camera is that Matterport Showcase supports 4K tiles. That would assume that new camera = higher quality.

For a new camera to be a worthwhile upgrade it would need to be:

#1) Faster.
#2) Higher Quality Imagery.
#3) Higher Resolution Imagery for both 3D and Images - but I think that 3D would be the focus for a more detailed, accurate mesh.

I believe that we will ONLY see a new camera when it is necessary -- i.e. -- the supply chain for the Matterport Camera components dries up when the manufacturer stops making them in favor of a newer product.
Post 10 IP   flag post
GertJan private msg quote post Address this user
It's arrived !!! Check the App Store ))
Post 11 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@GertJan

😎🎈🎉

Dan
Post 12 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@GertJan

Hmmmmmmmm....

While I could view pre-loaded Matterport Spaces in VR on my iPhone, I could not figure out how to figure our Matterport Spaces.

Is it possible that after all this time, that most-needed feature is still not ready?

Let's give Matterport one more day - Tuesday, 17 January 2017 - to see if they had to wait for the iOS app to populate Apple Servers worldwide (takes time) before then enable each of us to view our own models in VR.

Is it possible that it DOES work; but I can not figure out how to view my models on my iPhone 7 plus?

Dan

Dan
Post 13 IP   flag post
They still need to switch-on the support for viewing our Spaces in the iOS app on their webserver(s). Read the summary of the app it is mentioning downloading Spaces from MSP's. But probably MP will communicate this on a prepared & well scheduled official announcement ... some time this week
Post 14 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@GertJan

Ah! Great. Then likely first thing tomorrow with some media embargoed for simultaneous publishing.

Full Inman Connect conference begins tomorrow, Tuesday.

Dan
Post 15 IP   flag post
@Dan IT was already working... by adding VR in the URL link, and opening it directly on an iPhone like this link

https://my.matterport.com/VR/show/?m=6SWcexM75LK

Or use the VR link in the MP dashboard... the end-user instructions are already updated!
Post 16 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
@DanSmigrod called it!

clickable text

Updated January 13th.

What's New in Version 1.0.1
- Deep linking support

^^ That means that any tour should be supported. They just need to turn it on.

@GertJan - Great find! This proves the point!
Post 17 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Matterport VR iOS App

So, it looks like the app was ready 13 January 2017 and Matterport held off releasing it to today (17 January 2017, the first day of Inman Connect) ...

Text from the app ...

Description
Hold the world in the palm of your hand with the largest collection of real-world VR content ever. Our public library of VR Spaces transports real-world places into immersive, interactive virtual reality so that you can go anywhere, right from your smartphone.

WHY GET MATTERPORT VR: Matterport VR puts a world of destinations at your fingertips with our growing library of real-world environments captured by our global network of content creators.
EXPLORE YOUR WORLD: Our in-app library of over 150 VR Spaces will instantly transport you to far-flung corners of our world in interactive virtual reality. Explore freely as if you were really there. We offer natural navigation and a comfortable VR experience on the easiest platform for transporting the real world into 3D and virtual reality.

REAL-WORLD CONTENT:
>> TRAVEL DESTINATIONS: Ever been to Budapest? Let Matterport VR take you on the ultimate staycation, with museums, mosques, and more.
>> CELEBRITY HOMES: Walk the residences of celebrities like Eddie Murphy and Denise Richards, and see for yourself what it’s like to travel in style with some of the most luxurious suites on the planet, featured on the Associated Press’ Suite Life.
>> HISTORIC PLACES: Our VR Spaces capture moments in time, preserving historic places like the Detroit Stock Exchange and letting you experience what it felt like to fly aboard the very first Boeing 737 in 1967. Groovy!

INTERACTIVE 3D ENVIRONMENTS: Matterport VR offers realistic, intuitive navigation, making it easy for anyone to learn and use VR.

VR COLLECTIONS: Matterport users can create their own custom collections of VR Spaces to share with any audience that has access to Google Cardboard or Samsung Gear VR.

MORE CONTENT ONLINE: Matterport VR comes pre-loaded with over 150 premium VR experiences right in the app, but you can explore any public Matterport Space in virtual reality with ease. Any Space from our 3D web gallery can be downloaded to a VR-compatible device. Search for Spaces: matterport.com/gallery.

--------
Anyone who owns a Matterport Pro 3D Camera is a virtual reality content creator. Our 3D media pipeline is the only way to automatically capture and convert 3D models of real places into virtual reality with ease, and our VR Spaces can be distributed easily via a link or QR code, or right from a 3D Showcase web experience.

Matterport VR Spaces are used by professionals around the world for:
Real Estate & Property Marketing
Event Location Promotion
Travel, Hotel, & Vacation Rental Marketing
News & Entertainment Content Creation
Multifamily Property Marketing

End User License Agreement for this app is available at:
https://matterport.com/legal/virtual-reality-end-user-license-agreement/

Matterport Inc Web SiteMatterport VR SupportApplication License Agreement
What's New in Version 1.0.1

Post 18 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
As of 11:30 am EDT today (17 January 2017), I have not located a Matterport Press release and their website has not been updated to include iOS VR.

Stop Matterport VR iOS news? Please post to this discussion.

Thanks,

Dan
Post 19 IP   flag post
FurnitureScanner private msg quote post Address this user
I hate to say it, but, unless MP2VR has some extraordinary features that they're releasing soon, this could be the last of them. iOS support is the single most important feature we've been needing since October of last year (when they originally said iOS support was launching). Although I personally prefer the navigation within an MP2VR model better than Matterport's CoreVR navigation, that alone can't save us from going with Matterport from now on.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Premium
North Palm Beach, FL
hometakes private msg quote post Address this user
App now on the App Store. See this thread: https://www.wegetaroundnetwork.com/topic/3657/vr-now-live-on-ios-app-store/
Post 21 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by hometakes
App now on the App Store. See this thread: https://www.wegetaroundnetwork.com/topic/3657/vr-now-live-on-ios-app-store/

That's what I said 3 hours ago
Post 22 IP   flag post
srennick private msg quote post Address this user
I have been anticipating the release on ios, but now, which headset? Is cardboard and/or cheap my only option?
I have been using an android device (used only for the purpose of sharing vr) and Samsung Gear VR. The quality is low, but the experience is still pretty cool. I tried Google cardboard for the first time today and the clarity of the experience was above Android and Gear. The viewer is just so tacky. I don't want to show off VR on cardboard. What is the best option RIGHT NOW?
Post 23 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@srennick

There are several Google Cardboard-like plastic versions. As long as they say Google Cardboard 2.0 compatible, you should be okay. Search Amazon Here is one example.

Dan
Post 24 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

Here's what I learned today (17 January 2017) at Inman Connect:

1. With Matterport VR iOS, you will be able to view all your VR enabled models. It may take until Friday before that works. Matterport is waiting for iTunes App Store globally to have the Matterport VR iOS app, before Matterport enables iOS.

2. Once Google finished their standard for Chrome browser support for VR, Matterport will switch to Chrome web browser VR experience. (That's exciting before it simplifies the VR experience by eliminating the need to have a Matterport specific iOS or Android app.

The above two items are very exciting.

It means we can talk about Matterport VR without the constant question coming up, "Will it work on my iPhone?"

Yeah!

--

Heading to dinner plans. If you ask me a question, I may be slow to reply.

Best,

Dan
Post 25 IP   flag post
Dana Point, CA
"It means we can talk about Matterport VR without the constant question coming up, "Will it work on my iPhone?"

Exactly- yeah this is huge and exciting. It's been hard.... even counterproductive to highlight a distinctive feature- the biggest wow factor that will set a potential client's marketing apart- then have to recant- explain that it can not reach a huge swath of the market. "Wait..... what?"

For that reason, I have had to tip-toe around the subject, avoid putting nearly as much emphasis as I'd like on promoting the VR end of Matterport. Which is is rather crazy when it is where the future and power of Matterport is..... Been rather like slogging around town in a Ferrari, driving in 2nd gear in a school zone. Finally... it's time to open her up and see what she's got!
Post 26 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
I just want to add one more time -- Dan totally called it.

Having it 100% ready, fully implented and usable by visiting a direct web link on iOS fully fulfills Dan's excellent prediction.

My hat is off to Dan as my obsessive code trolling didn't lead me to believe it would be done at this time.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Dana Point, CA
That he did. Spot on! I suppose my tendency to hope for the best, prepare for the worst wouldn't lead me believe it. (that and the extending of free Core VR until June- thought we'd see it then) I am quite happy to be wrong.
Post 28 IP   flag post
101268 28 28
This topic is archived. Start new topic?