Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 692 Unique Visitors
9,052 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,455 Page Views | 19,142 Unique Visitors | 25 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum

Matterport is DIRECTLY sniping my clients.3401

Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
A major, trusted client forwarded this to me ...

From: [redacted] (Multi-Family Business Development) at matterport.com to [redacted] [redacted] -- who I have worked hard to secure their contract for all of Texas including Dallas and Houston. --

Hope all is well. I wanted to let you know we are launching Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, DC, and Chicago for our Content License option in January. As we discussed- the program will be as follows:

One Time Set Up: $200 per community
License: $30 per community per month - up to 5 models(tours) per community

Would love to work with you and your team. Let me know if there is interest and which markets you think would be interested in participating.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Hartland, Wisconsin
htimsabbub23 private msg quote post Address this user
As much as I love the virtual tour option for my clients I hope that a new one comes to market and Matterport burns themselves to the ground. Honestly the absolute worst company if ever been a part of.
Post 2 IP   flag post
pirusan private msg quote post Address this user
Shocking!!! (?)
Post 3 IP   flag post
jfantin private msg quote post Address this user
It seems that Matterport has not values at all. This is not the first time they do it and when you call them they always have an excuse. Either an error, or the customer previously subscribed to a database so they didn´t have a clue it was also a direct customer of a MSP, etc, etc.

The truth is that they haven't figured out yet what kind of company they want to be. So far they are the kind of company that sucks by flirting with our own clients.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Hartland, Wisconsin
I've actually stopped putting any customer information on my matterport page and use WP3D to brand everything. Hopping. Not sure it's helping but I'm doing all I can to keep my clients.
Post 5 IP   flag post
DouglasMeyers private msg quote post Address this user
Yep they took my wife's e-mail address off of my tour and contacted her to buy a camera. She had NEVER been to their site or asked for anything somy tour is the ONLY place they could have gotten her info from.
Yes M.P is really putting a sour taste in a lot of our mouths
I really wish they will figure the right way to go cause many of us will GO a soon as someone else provides the same thing and that is not to far away.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Hartland, Wisconsin
Remember window mobile phones and how to use their software..... Me either. Open source Android and third party app Apple took the market by storm.... Lesson learned? I guess not
Post 7 IP   flag post
GarySnyder private msg quote post Address this user
Just remember, what goes around comes around eventually
Post 8 IP   flag post
Jamie private msg quote post Address this user
Yep I've had the same where I used a different email address and they contacted me to sell a camera. I've had maybe 10 clients say they have been contacted.

While I'm all for growing your business, by taking your operators clients is not only poor form, it's a recipe for a revolt if something new comes along. Honestly who would want to stay with a company that steals your clients and turns them into your competition. It really is a [redacted] move on their part.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
In respect to Matterport, here's the broadest way I can describe the situation:

#1) I have shot 160 tours in the past year. I offer my services and focus on apartment communities. The usage of Matterport in the multi-family industry is FAR lower than Matterport want. EVERY apartment management company should use Matterport just as they use photography.

#2) Matterport would like to exponentially increase the engagement of that sector. Matterport are looking to provide a low entry fee with monthly fees wherein companies license the tours and MSPs don't have to host them or pay processing fees.

#3) Matterport are looking to add value for multi-family clients. One potential way is a turnkey process wherein tours are distributed on additional channels (listing sites).

#4) Matterport are looking to enlist MSPs to fulfill this initiative. This will provide new opportunities to existing MPSs.

--

I am probably two steps away from an NDA on this and I'm sure I stepped on some toes as I received a call minute after posting this to the forum. Therefore, I will say nothing further on this subject beyond this:

MSPs made an investment on their cameras, monthly fees and marketing. We do not want our services devalued. We do want more opportunities and many of us have ASKED/DEMANDED that Matterport provide more opportunities for us.

Matterport IS looking for a win-win scenario; however; I it is important for our voices to be heard.

IMHO, we cannot fulfill tours below 5 cents per sqft. Consider the driving time and dedication to work within a schedule. Consider also that some shoots take 2x as long depending on the client.

--

I agree with these points:

#1) Matterport adoption is abysmal.
#2) Matterport adoption should be overwhelming.
#3) Too many MSPs are struggling to find business.
#4) Matterport have larger reach to get more customers than individul MSPs.

I have a hard time with these points:

#1) I make money selling Matterport in addition to OTHER services; can I do this when Matterport sub contracts me? Can Matterport post that MSPs offer additional services?

#2) I have price points that I think are agreeable. Do I have to market myself against Matterport to show my value?

I have these thoughts:

#1) If Matterport sell tours of any nature and directly work with MSPs -- Matterport could provision us with the latest equipment in order to do this -- saving us from having to buy a new camera when it is time.

#2) If Matterport is providing us with more business, it will be good for some people, perhaps not all. We will adapt.
Post 10 IP   flag post
@Metroplex I don´t quite understand parts of what you said, maybe it is my english or perhaps it is because I don´t like what I read and hence my brain doesn´t want to understand, so please clarify this for me:

- Matterport is negotiating a fee to a certain market segment and then is planning to outsource the service to MSPs interested in becoming outsourcers of MP services? Is this what you said?

- Is the 5 cents per sq ft the amount they are willing to pay for this ridiculous business proposition? 1,000 sq ft per hour means $50 per hour which is ridiculous.

I hope you can explain this a little in spite of your NDA.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfantin
@Metroplex I don´t quite understand parts of what you said, maybe it is my english or perhaps it is because I don´t like what I read and hence my brain doesn´t want to understand, so please clarify this for me

I've edited my post. I am making an effort to NOT quote Matterport on ANYTHING as NOTHING that was said was said as an official statement to me and attempting to post "official statements" would be misleading. Matterport are always working on new ideas and things ALWAYS change.

Quote:

Matterport is negotiating a fee to a certain market segment and then is planning to outsource the service to MSPs interested in becoming outsourcers of MP services? Is this what you said?

Matterport is testing the waters. They have been working on this concept for a while.

Quote:

Is the 5 cents per sq ft the amount they are willing to pay for this ridiculous business proposition? 1,000 sq ft per hour means $50 per hour which is ridiculous.

I hope you can explain this a little in spite of your NDA.

$0.05/SQFT is a number that I came up with as a 'Too Low to Bear' number. There are other factors though. What if you didn't pay processing fees? What if you don't have to spent time and effort marketing yourself? What is the value of that and how does that impact your ideal price point per sqft if you were to receive 3x the business?

--

I want to be VERY clear -- it is my intent to stand by this:

#1) Matterport is looking for ways to penetrate the market exponentially.
#2) Matterport is looking to find more work for existing MSPs as well as new MSPs.
#3) There is a scary possibility that our pricepoint will be devalued.
Post 12 IP   flag post
jasondavidpage private msg quote post Address this user
I bought a camera and joined the system back in August (before reading anything on this forum.) Had I seen this venue prior to purchasing a camera, I most likely would have avoided adding it to my service roster.

Unlike many of the members here (who seem to primarily be tour creators) I am a photographer first and foremost, and have around 100 clients that use me each month to photograph at least one listing. I considered the Matterport system a great add-on to my product, and since acquiring the camera, have managed to "sell" 53 tours.

I can honestly tell you, no matter how great a company or wonderful a product Matterport is, if they go around trying to convince my clients to use them based on information I have added into their system, I am selling my camera, and only retaining a subscription long enough to satisfy the one year of hosting I promised my clients.

Like many of the other users on this forum, I feel like we are going around providing the in-person demos, showcasing a product we have literally NO control over, in the hopes that some of our presentations will result in additional business. However, if you ask me, Matterport sees service providers (MSP or not) as expendable resources - they already have us on the hook and use our time, resources, contacts and work product in order to facilitate more market saturation instead of actually listening to those who are the system's biggest cheerleaders.

I know they read everything that is posted here, and I hope they understand how shooting themselves in the foot is only going to impede their progress. I haven't been promoting the 3D scans or Matterport system (other than a few #behindthescans Instagram posts) in the past 2 months because I'm still on the edge about sticking with the system or not.
Post 13 IP   flag post
jasondavidpage private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metroplex360
I want to be VERY clear -- it is my intent to stand by this:

#1) Matterport is looking for ways to penetrate the market exponentially.
#2) Matterport is looking to find more work for existing MSPs as well as new MSPs.
#3) There is a scary possibility that our pricepoint will be devalued.

If #1 is the case, I'll bow out and let others fight over scraps.

If #2 is the case, it's a nice thought, but this will ultimately lead to a system where Matterport books the shoot, retains a commission, and the MSP ends up losing out. I don't needs them providing me leads - we are all capapble of developing our own funnels for leads.

If #3 is the case, I'll bow out and go back to making $150 an hour just shooting houses rather than wasting an hour for every 1000 sqft scanning spaces (and making $70 to $100 an hour before Matterport expenses.)
Post 14 IP   flag post
@metroplex360, so basically Matterport is exploring the idea of proposing us to become Uber drivers...
Post 15 IP   flag post
alx3D private msg quote post Address this user
Great thread. Thank you @metroplex360 for letting us see this.

For what is worth I had a customer contact me wanting a scan in XXXXXX. I asked for MP to connect me with a MSP there and have heard nothing. I do not think passing business to us is a priority at all, it is an afterthought at best.

Here is my suggestion to drive change on this:

Put a sticky on the forum where the top line is why not to buy a matterport camera. Link that to all the discussions like this one (there are plenty). People interested in buying cameras come here for info. If MP wants positive info displayed they need to respond to grievances like this.
Post 16 IP   flag post
One last thing and I am done with this issue:

- Companies don´t own their clients. It is the clients that chose a company and stay with it until they feel that someone else can provide them a better service.

- Companies that perform best are those that have fans (fanatics) instead of just clients.

- People become fans when they share the same values with the company they are making business with.

- A company with no values, will never have fans

- As happens with sports, a fan never quits, while a client choses according to his best judgement.

- In hard times, the fans are the only ones able and willing to save a company.

So, my advice to Matterport and to any company, as a matter of fact, is this:

SPEND ALL YOUR RESOURCES AND EFFORTS IN CREATING FANS, BECAUSE YOUR LIFE WILL DEPEND ON THEM ONE DAY. IF YOU SET YOUR PRIORITIES IN ATTRACTING FANS, THEN THE MONEY WILL FOLLOW. THINKING THAT IT IS THE OTHER WAY AROUND MIGHT PROVE TO BE A FATAL MISTAKE.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Jamie private msg quote post Address this user
Well said
Post 18 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
@jfantin, @alx3D, @JasonDavidPage, @Jamie, @GarySnyder -- Really great points.

@JasonDavidPage - Concerning your points -

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasondavidpage
If #1 is the case, I'll bow out and let others fight over scraps.

There's a company called 'Outhouse', which I've mentioned a few times. They already do this sort of thing. They have lower rates that they give privately to their clients who order multiple services from them. They hire MSPs, often times from the [We Get Around Network], at rates lower than we would normally be comfortable with -- but in return, they have marketed everything, scheduled everything, pay us in a timely fashion, and are absolutely excellent human beings to work with. I have questioned whether or not I was fighting over scraps by taking my territory for Outhouse -- but at the end of the day have come to really appreciate the opportunity and to consider it as 'extra Matterport $'.

I'd love if Matterport-sourced tour revenue can fit into 'extra Matter $' and not cannibalize my own clientel.

Quote:
If #2 is the case, it's a nice thought, but this will ultimately lead to a system where Matterport books the shoot, retains a commission, and the MSP ends up losing out. I don't needs them providing me leads - we are all capapble of developing our own funnels for leads.

I am led to believe that this IS the case concerning apartments. What do Apartment Management Companies want? They want parity for all communities -- they want to hire 1 firm to handle their nationwide investments. They don't want to contract MSPs and they want to do it at a national level. Therefore, it Matterport steps in and leverages their business identity, their presence at conventions, and their salesforce - they are willing to penetrate a demographic that has been hard to reach in an effective manner. The MSP may end out losing out on several potential jobs from such a client, but may end out gaining 4x the business at a lower rate. That's the VERY troubling thing. We lose out on pricing and start to work harder for less.

Quote:
If #3 is the case, I'll bow out and go back to making $150 an hour just shooting houses rather than wasting an hour for every 1000 sqft scanning spaces (and making $70 to $100 an hour before Matterport expenses.)

That's where I'm at. I shoot photography + matterport in tandem. Selling both products together is a key to my ability to operate my business. If it was Matterport only, I would not be able to take care of my family.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Quote:
SPEND ALL YOUR RESOURCES AND EFFORTS IN CREATING FANS, BECAUSE YOUR LIFE WILL DEPEND ON THEM ONE DAY. IF YOU SET YOUR PRIORITIES IN ATTRACTING FANS, THEN THE MONEY WILL FOLLOW. THINKING THAT IT IS THE OTHER WAY AROUND MIGHT PROVE TO BE A FATAL MISTAKE.

I'll be a MASSIVE fan if Matterport vet the MSPs and allow us to upload samples of photography and other services we offer and allow us to provide these services as a trusted agency. Same as the Google Trusted Photographer platform USED to be.

If we can offer photography, then we can offer Matterport Tours at a lower price point. Everyone can win. This will make me a massive fan.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Solution:

http://www.metroplex360.com/matterport-3d/

I'm now offering monthly contracts with a 24 month commitment with only a $100 downpayment. Thank you Matterport for the brilliant idea.
Post 21 IP   flag post
jntooker private msg quote post Address this user
Wow. I'm selling my camera. I'm done.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
@jntooker Hey, if Multi-Family Apartment Management companies are your only clientel and you live in one of the mentioned areas -- I can understand. Otherwise, I do not believe that this new initiative affects you.

Matterport is attempting to go after an untapped segment of the market that is BARELY engaging with Matterport / MSPs. They are passing the jobs on to MSPs.

My concerns are that Matterport is in the position to seriously undersell our services and that they will be creating work for people who are desperate. As this is personally --my-- target demographic in my market - I need to be sure that I am offering the same deal or a better one so that I stay relevant.
Post 23 IP   flag post
jntooker private msg quote post Address this user
@metroplex360 It really doesn't make a difference to me which customer segment they are trying to poach. It's not just this one thing, it's the amalgamation of all the shady and unscrupulous (and just bad) business decisions MP has made which limit/paralyze us as MP pros.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
@jntooker Well, for the record, incase anyone missed it.

I have a nationwide client on a regional level. Matterport are working with the same client on nationwide level.

I have another nationwide client that I've been talking to on a regional level that Matterport actually referred me to many many months ago. I've had no luck at the regional level. Another MSP I work with that hires MSPs through this board is talking to them at a national level. When I learned this, I turned over all of the progress I'd made with them to help secure my place, if the deal goes through, at a regional level.

If Matterport gets 'my client' at a nationwide level, I'm working on securing them at a regional level by continuing to offer excellent customer service and maintaining a great relationship with my regional contact. If all goes well, Matterport engage the nationwide client to push forward an agenda wherein I end out with 5x the business. In addition, Matterport end out putting dozens of MSPs to work in other regions. This is as long as my client makes sure that I remain in place. That's a tricky business situation, but I believe I can weather the storm.
--

My main concern is that the jobs that Matterport are creating for MSPs will be well paid and not a feasting on scraps scenario. I've vocalized this to Matterport. I hope they bring more people in on the conversation.

When a photographer is a free lancer with an open schedule, we want to have a high hourly rate because we are constantly 'on call'. It's important for clients to understand this. We aren't booked from 9 - 5 -- we might take a job that makes $400 that takes 4 hours on site, 2 hours driving, and 2 hours of sales/marketing/support. That pays us $50/hr. Then because we are available and not working a 9-5, we have days where we are not being paid. It's important that we don't take jobs that are $10/hr jobs because we are desperate. That doesn't compensate us for being a professional with availability.
Post 25 IP   flag post
alx3D private msg quote post Address this user
Sorry this is backtracking but wanted to elaborate on this statement of mine:

"For what is worth I had a customer contact me wanting a scan in XXXXXX. I asked for MP to connect me with a MSP there and have heard nothing. I do not think passing business to us is a priority at all, it is an afterthought at best."

The same time I sent the request to MP I also asked Dan and he responded quickly and got me in touch with someone for the job. The forum has been great for finding MSPs. To be fair to MP though they did reply to my request a few hours after I posted the above quote although the job had already been completed.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by alx3D
To be fair to MP though they did reply to my request a few hours after I posted the above quote although the job had already been completed.

So they answered once the request was posted in this Forum! wow, so they do not actually use their own system to answer to their own customers' requests?

Or what you mean is that they took longer to answer than what Dan took to get you a MSP?
Post 27 IP   flag post
WGAN Basic
New Brighton, PA
frstbubble private msg quote post Address this user
Maybe MP should look at Dan's pricing lists. And the providers here and find that the average price we charge is close to 0.13 a sq/ft. and on the high end you have 0.25 per sq/ft. So they should start pricing at that point. I have not found any that are below .08 sq/ft. Could be wrong though.

I agree that with a national reach it is a nice proposition, and what many people here were asking for hosting plans for individuals. But for apartment complexes, a yearly licensing fee would be recurrent income for us and with enough of them, it could cover your yearly business expenses.

Besides that the real issue is that MP is mining our customers!!! They have denied it during webinars and in their forum but, there are three people here that say the opposite! I don't want to do business with a company like that. I will continue to I find something comparable or better. But once I do find it I'm GONE!!!

Maybe we need to have legal counsel look into their practices and see what our options are? We are a huge community and should be able have our voices heard. Besides, the lip service and lies we are receiving now.
Post 28 IP   flag post
DouglasMeyers private msg quote post Address this user
Yes nd Yes Mr. frstbubble...
Post 29 IP   flag post
101646 29 29
This topic is archived. Start new topic?