Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 488 Unique Visitors
9,049 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 33,567 Page Views | 18,421 Unique Visitors | 30 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum

Virtually staging the Matterport 3D model3248

JonJ private msg quote post Address this user
Promoted Post

---

Hi All,

I know there has been discussion about using the 3D model that is created with the Matterport model for virtual staging. I am working on a solution to virtually stage a vacant 3D model with furniture that is still navigable and has the dollhouse view, floor plan view and first person view. However, I wanted to know if the quality of the 3D model is acceptable or not for virtual staging.

Here are a couple of screen shots as a proof of concept. All feedback is welcome.

Thank you,
Jon
Post 1 IP   flag post
Blue-Sketch
Founder
New Orleans, LA
PetraSoderling private msg quote post Address this user
I think this is what a lot of people have been waiting for. When you ask if "the quality of the 3D model is good enough", what do you mean. Isn't the 3D model the same Matterport walkthrough we all work with? Or do you mean something else?

How would the furniture affect loading time and the ability to walk around. While I love Archilogic I think it can be slow to load so people lose interest fast and just give up.
Post 2 IP   flag post
UserName private msg quote post Address this user
That's pretty neat if you can walk around it.
Post 3 IP   flag post
AAS private msg quote post Address this user
Sign me up lol. Looks pretty cool.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Hi Petra,

The picture above is from the .obj file that you can download after you create a Matterport model. It does not have the detail that you have when you navigate the Showcase since there are no panoramic views to navigate between. In the 3D model, items like fans, lamps furniture are not fully rendered. As you can see in the above photos, even the walls and ceiling aren't very detailed.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Blue-Sketch
Founder
New Orleans, LA
PetraSoderling private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks Jon, looks very promising. You got me all excited now
Post 6 IP   flag post
DouglasMeyers private msg quote post Address this user
I think it's a great step in the right direction.
Sing me up to.
Douglas
Post 7 IP   flag post
Putten NLD
DannyBasting private msg quote post Address this user
@JonJ

Have you ever tried Meshlab? It's a free tool that allows you to covert a lot of 3D formats.

You can for instance load a xyz pointcloud (from the Matterport beta program) and create your own 3d mesh from it. With the desired "resolution". The more detail you want, the bigger the file will become ofcourse.

I don't know what software you are using and what you want to achieve in the end, but it may be a valuable tool in your work flow as well.
Post 8 IP   flag post
As PetraSoderling asked, how would extra 3D furniture models affect download speed? My ideal Web app loads in less than a second but unfortunately I can't find a single one on the Internet. I did demo Google Fiber in a supermarket once and that's blazing fast.
Post 9 IP   flag post
ThreeDImaging private msg quote post Address this user
Does this require any programming skills
Post 10 IP   flag post
PedroAvilez private msg quote post Address this user
Sign me up pls ! Looks very nice.
Post 11 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Bon Secour, Alabama
Chemistrydoc private msg quote post Address this user
@JonJ

First of all, kudos to you for improving all of our lives! The question is really not "is it good enough". The question really is "is the virtual staging professional-looking and reasonably close to reality?" The alternative is shooting a vacant home / commercial space. I just shot this monster of a commercial space / laboratory; having that option would have certainly enhanced the effort:

https://my.matterport.com/models/Dnm8mDrWRtN

Cheers,

KAF
Post 12 IP   flag post
I have really been struggling with the question of model quality with respect to virtual staging. So, I thought I would put out an example and see what people think.

By no means do I think this is a photo-realistic rendering of a 3D space, but I believe there is value in seeing a 3D space that is furnished. The question is, is there a market for this type of service?

BTW, this is a screen capture, but the final deliverable is navigable.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Putten NLD
@JonJ if you turn down the brightness of some of the furniture they will blend in a lot better with the environment. This will result in a better experience for your clients.

Is there a market for this? Depends on how much time it takes you to create these. If it's a quick job then yeah, there might be..

If it's very time consuming, it will become to expensive I think.

What software did you use to create this if you don't mind me asking?
Post 14 IP   flag post
I place more value on the experience than image quality if my only choices are ..
1) live with the image quality

2) don't get to experience it at all

If it doesn't cost much or take time to do that I'd sign up to gain the ability to put artificial furniture inside a real room.

Maybe it might even work even better if you intentionally tried NOT to make the furniture look photo-realistic. You could advertise it as unreal furniture inside real living areas. Perhaps people might accept that type of furniture more than they would a chair that's "almost" photo-realistic but not quite there. I've only seen a few videos showing people putting holographic furniture inside a real room. That furniture was not photo-realistic but the "experience" was impressive.

Let us know when a VR version is available to view.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Property3dNZ private msg quote post Address this user
@JonJ Hey Jon - this is the archilogic furniture isn't it? We have sent them MP files and had them turn them in models for us its pretty cool!
Post 16 IP   flag post
@property3dnz,
Yes! This is archilogic furniture. Can you share some of the models that they have created for you along with the Matterport space?
Post 17 IP   flag post
Putten NLD
@JonJ I've contacted Archilogic with several questions. They just send me this link, showing a Matterportscan in Archilogic.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Well, that's interesting. That is one of my models!
clickable text
Post 19 IP   flag post
Putten NLD
omg
Post 20 IP   flag post
Hi All,

Here is an update to some of the 3D Matterport Model staging that I have been working on. The first link is to the original Matterport Showcase and the following 2 are the 3D Models that I created. The first is staged and the second is not.

Just a note, neither of the 3D models have been modified or cleaned up. They are straight from the .obj file.

1st Floor

2nd Floor

All feedback is welcome!

Thanks,
Jon
Post 21 IP   flag post
Helen private msg quote post Address this user
@JonJ So you are able to create this through the archilogic site?
Post 22 IP   flag post
@Helen,

Yes, this is built on the Archilogic platform. I am considering offering this as a service to builders that I work with as well as other MSPs that may be interested. As it is right now, I am still testing the waters.
Thanks,
Jon
Post 23 IP   flag post
I like it even though it's not real furniture. I'd like to see that in VR. You even have a fly-thru from a dollhouse that continues on into the real model rooms.

"How do you get this back into a real Matterport Showcase or Core VR? Or, will what you create be a stand-alone experience?"

I thought thought Matterport's Showcase main script overlaid captured panoramic images over a model when you changed positions.

I'm no model expert but DannyBasting's "turn down the brightness" suggestion came to mind when I saw the brilliant white couches. If I was working in an image editing program, I'd probably do some contrast/brightness adjustments. If your model makes it to VR, the wow factor alone may override over any potential "this furniture isn't real and some walls are jagged" reaction.

Would it possible for people with super-fast Internet connections to choose a quality setting? You can do that with YouTube videos. If that was possible, maybe someone with a fast connection could see more realistic furniture.

Once again, I'll go with my personal opinion of ..

if I have a choice of exploring a real home that has virtual furnishing vs not being able to do that at all, I'll go with the first option. It seems in these early years of VR, we have to live with what's possible even if a furnished room's walls don't have the same quality as a Matterport Showcase model's "textured" rooms textured with real images captured with the camera. It looks like Microsoft made a similar decision of deciding whether to give people a Hololens with a tiny field of view or not giving them a Hololens at all.

If I was a home buyer simply wanting to do quick comparisons to narrow down my list of homes to visit in person, I wouldn't mind seeing a real home with real rooms furnished however the model creator found a way to furnish them.
Post 24 IP   flag post
@UserName,
Thank you for your feedback. My apologies for my slow reply, but to answer your questions, this solution would be a stand-alone product that is created using the .obj file that is created when you make a Matterport model.

The model that I have furnished is built on top of the Archilogic platform and as such I am unable to adjust the brightness of the furniture. However, because it is built on the Archilogic platform, it is already VR compatible. Here is a link to a recent model that I created.

3D Model

and here is the original Matterport space.

I have not viewed this with VR glasses yet, please let me know what you think!

Thanks,
Jon
Post 25 IP   flag post
That's very interesting. It's unreal furniture in a real home. From some angles the furniture seems to look more real. I viewed it on my phone using Chrome, Opera and Firefox. For some reason, Archilogic thinks that Chrome 54 doesn't support Webgl so it crashed on Chrome.

But, in my phone's Opera and Firefox, nothing happens when I tap the "Virtual Reality" icon. Samsung's Gear VR Internet browser supports Webgl. If I can get the model's URL into that browser while wearing the Gear VR, maybe I'll be able to view it in VR using Gear VR's Oculus software. You can't just send the URL over to that browser since it only works when you have the headset on. Maybe I can search Google for this forum while wearing the Gear VR. If I find this thread I can then click the model's link and see if the model appears in the headset.

Note - I tested ARCHline.XP 2016 a bit yesterday. They say you can format a 3D room photo so that the software thinks it's a 3D model into which you can drop virtual furniture. That furniture didn't seem that much different from yours. I also looked at more 3D realistic furniture at Adobe's stock asset site. I don't know if you could use that type of furniture. Adobe just released their Project Felix that makes it easy for people to create and modify 3D objects and put them in photos. My goal there again was to see if I could drop some of their 3D furniture on top of a 2D photo of a room.

I'll let you know if Samsung's Gear VR browser can open your model's link assuming I can locate that link from within the headset. If it's running in Gear VR instead of Cardboard, looking around inside the model should be much more fluid since the Gear VR and Galaxy phone are working together to manipulate 3D models.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Update - You may have made the first Matterport video game. The Samsung browser didn't work but I got it to work in Opera. It's a little strange being inside a point cloud model. The furnishings look great and make it look like a real home. On the other hand, when you're in the model, the imperfections in the walls, beams and cabinets seem to be enhanced -- maybe because you're so close to them. Some beams, for instance, appear sanded in some areas.

But the fun part is being in a real VR home that's a bit different from a regular Matterport model. I ran it in Opera and loaded the phone into my Gear VR after disabling the Gear VR service. That enables me to run Cardboard apps in Gear VR. Because my Bluetooth controller worked, I could move inside the home. In regular Cardboard you wouldn't be able to move at all.

Because the motion was so slow, I could tell that I was moving in a real 3D model. In a Matterport model you can only move between scan points. In this model you move anywhere. I went from the room with the fireplace, through the kitchen and into the bedroom. Head tracking works fine so you can look around just like you'd do in CoreVR.

I think others would have to see this in a VR headset to see what they think of the model's visual quality. The furniture's great but up close, the rooms themselves can make it seem like the house is either unfinished or a small fire occurred. On the other hand, the furniture makes what was an empty home, look like a real home with furnishings that look like they belong there. The dining room looks good along with the rugs throughout the home.

Hence, the term "video game" came to mind. If you can put furniture in there, I'd imagine that you could put a 3D being in there as well.

Bottom line: For me, regardless of the structure quality, I think a VR model like this could help me get a good idea of how the home actually looks from inside. By adding furniture, such as in the dining room, you let people know what those rooms are.
Post 27 IP   flag post
101600 27 27
This topic is archived. Start new topic?