Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 837 Unique Visitors
9,052 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 35,106 Page Views | 19,195 Unique Visitors | 29 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum

Matterport Opening: VP/Customer Frustration3047

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All,

Among the Matterport 41 Job Openings, I found this one ...

Dan

--

Matterport Job Opening: VP/Customer Frustration

Matterport is a Series C startup that is shaking up the 3D world. Our team has developed an end-to-end 3D platform that allows anyone to create, edit, and share 3D models of real-world spaces. Our tools are already used by thousands of professionals in a variety of industries, including real estate, hospitality, and location-scouting, as well as by hobbyists who just want to dive into 3D. The hardware we build is critical to our continued success and we are building a stellar systems engineering team to ensure our future.

We are seeking a talented Vice President of Customer Frustration. The role will be based primarily in downtown San Francisco, with 1-2 days / week in Sunnyvale.

Here are some of the ways we are frustrating our clients today:

✓ Killing 3rd party solutions that provide added value to the eco-system such as converting Matterport Spaces to Google Street View
✓ Killing 3rd party tools such as calculating square feet and meters instantly
✓ Not providing a white label solutions for Matterport Service Providers
✓ Adding a Terms link to all Matterport Spaces
✓ Making the Terms link bigger and more visible
✓ Adding a big, colorful logo to the Matterport Spaces
✓ Adding a bar to all Matterport spaces that displays the Matterport logo
✓ Taking days to get back to customer inquires
✓ Limiting Support Hours
✓ Competing with Matterport Service Providers
✓ Taking inbound leads for Matterport Service Providers and giving them to Camera Sales team first
✓ Providing none or stale leads to Matterport Service Providers
✓ Focusing on selling cameras instead of growing the market
✓ Taking on more verticals that compete for scarce technical team can implement
✓ Promising MatterStudio years ago and failing to deliver (change wall colors, furniture, floor styles)
✓ Promising APIs/SDKs and failing to deliver
✓ Not providing Matterport Service Providers will compensation for the Cameras they help sell

RESPONSIBILITIES

✓ Provide leadership for continuing to frustrate our early adopters
✓ Lead ideation in how to continue to frustrate our customers
✓ Lead discussions in how to continue to disable 3rd party solutions so that we don't focus on
✓ Encourage new Matterport divisions to compete for scarce tech resources
✓ Encourage sales team to over promise
✓ Ignore the We Get Around Forum Community. While they get 1.2 million page views from 11,000 visitors monthly consuming its Matterport Knowledge base of 23,500 posts among 3,000 topics
✓ Even while ignoring the We Get Around Forum Community, read every post so that everyone at Matterport that is reading every post can get (some) work done.
✓ Sound sincere when apologizing (make sure there is a delay in apologizing)
✓ Must join the We Get Around Forum and Private Message (PM) vocal Members. Let them know that Matterport values their opinion and invite them to participate in a Beta program. Then, get them to sign an NDA so that they stop making suggestions publicly (and then ignore all their recommendations within the Beta program)

REQUIREMENTS

✓ 10+ years of relevant experience.
✓ Work experience at a failed company such as Blockbuster, Circuit City, Kodak, Polaroid, Borders or Tower Records is a plus. Bigger plus, if you played a significant role in ignoring your customers
✓ When talking with a customer that is complaining, must be able to place two fingers in your ears while you repeat ‘LA LA LA LA LA LA LA ‘LA LA LA LA LA LA LA”
✓ When talking with a customer that is complaining, must sound convincing when saying, “ouch. But thanks for the feedback! I’ll send this to the team here.”
✓ When responding to an email for a custom that has a Product Suggestion that we have heard a thousand times from the We Get Around Referral Network (formerly known as the Matterport User Group Forum), sound like you this is the first time you ever heard the idea and say “Cool idea! I’ll pas that onto our Product team.”
✓ Playing whack-a-mole is a plus. You must constantly whack 3rd party developers – stop them from creating solutions and tools that add value to the eco-system.
BS in communications related field; MBA in BS is a plus
Must own a wrench to toss into the gears that run the Matterport platform

Equal Opportunity Employer

Matterport is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnicity, gender, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or religion. We are committed to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment.

APPLY FOR THIS JOB
Post 1 IP   flag post
grmngrl private msg quote post Address this user
I was under the impression they filled that position already!?!?
Post 2 IP   flag post
GeorgeK private msg quote post Address this user
Classic...
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@grmngrl

No. they previously filled the GM/SVP Customer Frustration. Matterport is expanding this team.

Dan
Post 4 IP   flag post
@DanSmigrod unbelievable! Literally we are doomed.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Standard
Winter Haven, Florida
FloridaProperties private msg quote post Address this user
Wow! Where's the support?
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@grmngrl

Here's the Matterport eblast that I received Monday that sparked me to look at Matterport job opening ...

I did not see any job openings for Customer Service Representatives (CSRs) when I looked today (28 October 2016). I did find 4 openings for Sales.

Dan
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
All,

Did Matterport miss any of the job requirements or skills required?

Dan
Post 8 IP   flag post
I remember when I first got my camera and was at my first job. I needed support with a scan and inthusiastcally called Matterport in hopes I get help right away. Needles to say that it took over 3 days until I got a response.
I was so upset!
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@grmngrl

So, it costs about $10,000 to get started with Matterport. Of that, about $6,500 to Matterport. If you are a business service provider, $1,500 per year (must ancillary services). So, in 10 years, you will spend $12,500 with Matterport.

How long should it take to hear back from Matterport if you "only" spend $12,500 with them over the next 10 years?

Dan
Post 10 IP   flag post
StevenHattan private msg quote post Address this user
Don't worry everyone....companies come and go. Do the best you can with what you have and always (ALWAYS) look for better opportunities.

Everything becomes crystal clear in hind site.

The funny thing is, at the end of the day when companies go under they say "Well, gosh, if I would have known 'that' beforehand we would have made some changes."

It's super sad that when Matterport does go under (can't have a business without happy supporters) they can't say "If I would have known" because they DO know. Absolutely. Positively.

I'm clearly baffled. Such rookie mistakes from a company with such potential.
Post 11 IP   flag post
CarlosFHdz private msg quote post Address this user
@dansmigrod , I wish it was only $12K in 10 years, I'm already at about $9K not counting our cameras and it's only year 2.

Just like @stevehattan said, we do the best with what we have.
Post 12 IP   flag post
jfantin private msg quote post Address this user
I make my living by teaching business strategy to MBA students in three universities in my country.

Besides that, I work as a consultant to different companies and a year ago I started this business with Matterport cameras and other equipment to cover different customers needs. I like innovations and I saw potential in Matterport's technology.

So, after more than fifteen years teaching, researching and consulting on strategic issues, I believe that I have some authority to declare that I have never seen so many strategic errors in the head of a single company in such a short period of time.

Either is it that they are having growing pains, and don´t know how to resolve them, or perhaps it is just plain strategic blindness. They don´t even know which business they are in and hence they are unable to take appropriate decisions.

They think that they are in the business of selling cameras, but in fact they are in the business of providing interactive experiences in the web, based on propietary technology. Selling cameras is just a secondary business (or should be considered as such if they want to survive and prosper).

Instead of pushing more cameras to real estate agents, they should create conditions to grow the Matterport ecosystem allowing other developers to add value, while they keep charging and collecting processing and hosting fees from a growing base of MSPs.

While one real estate agent with a camera may upload a few models per year, before quitting after realizing it wasn´t such a good business as he thought in the begining, a MSP could upload hundreds maitaining a continous stream of monthly fees!

Forcing their branding as if by doing it they would sell more cameras or steal clients from the MSP's base is silly and hurts the relationship with their strategic partners...that is us.

I hope Matterport will react in time. If not, at least it will serve as a nice case study to share with my students.
Post 13 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod

I think you found a customer service training page strait from the training manual they use. The other concern I have is the negative press that will be generated when so many agents get the camera and it does not work the way they expect it to. As the sales reps say even a monkey can operate it. I am afraid that the agents that purchase these cameras start a negative campaign among agents. I have found agents trust agents and look at me as salesman just trying to sell a service. They trust other agents and their point of view right or wrong, better than mine as an expert. I see this as a strong negative issue that Matterport does not see or expect because the camera is already sold. I think @jfantin hit the nail on the head as so many other users have pointed out, sales is most important not the fundamental strong sales of cameras but should be more focused on long term commitment.
Ron
Post 14 IP   flag post
Santa Barbara
Lizzg private msg quote post Address this user
So, now that they have us "on the hook" and deeply invested, exactly how much revenue do they generate with our subscriptions? It is great for them that this forum is their direct view into the world of MSPs as they quickly shut down the innovative solutions that are shared and "create" them as their own. I love this platform, but the disappointment at their lack of support is crushing.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Louisville, KY
JohnLoser private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod
You listed a requirement for the position of VP of Frustration as:
"✓ When responding to an email for a custom that has a Product Suggestion that we have heard a thousand times from the We Get Around Referral Network (formerly known as the Matterport User Group Forum), sound like you this is the first time you ever heard the idea and say “Cool idea! I’ll pass that onto our Product team.”"

Well, that is no longer a requirement according to the new TOS. Item #4 states: "Matterport does not accept nor consider unsolicited ideas, concepts or know-how, including ideas for new products or technologies (collectively "Submissions". You must not transmit any submissions to or through the Service that you consider to be confidential or proprietary. Any Submissions that you transmit to or through the service will be considered non-confidential and non-proprietary. Except as expressly provided in Matterport's privacy policy, you give Matterport an unrestricted, irrevocable, perpetual, transferrable, sub licensable, worldwide, royalty-free license to use, reproduce, display, publicly perform, transmit and distribute any such submissions, without any payment or accounting to you or others. In addition, you waive any so-called "moral rights" in any Submissions."

Well -- to me that says, "We don't want your ideas to make our products better. If you send us an ides, we will use it and call it our own forever."

Do I get that right? If so, the new VP doesn't need to listen to customer suggestions.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Santa Barbara
Lizzg private msg quote post Address this user
They want the ideas but have TOSd themselves into a we win you lose form of product improvement. Why pay for improvements when they are being freely shared for the taking? I wonder why they have taken this stance, as every solution put forth here has made this service better? Hopefully, they will come around and realize what an asset we are to their growth and sustainability.
Post 17 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@JohnLoser

Ah! When I posted this job notice, I accidentally left out this line (which I have now added under RESPONSIBILITIES):

✓ Must join the We Get Around Forum and Private Message (PM) vocal Members. Let them know that Matterport values their opinion and invite them to participate in a Beta program. Then, get them to sign an NDA so that they stop making suggestions publicly (and then ignore all their recommendations within the Beta program)

Dan
Post 18 IP   flag post
Viewing private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod That was a funny read for a gloomy Sunday morning, thanks!

@jfantin Agree with your sentiments. MP's core income focus should be hosting and processing fees. Anybody looking to invest significant money in a 3D solution is smart enough to do their homework... the camera sells itself and they should have more faith in their own product.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Rik private msg quote post Address this user
Is this real, can't believe it?
Post 20 IP   flag post
Rik private msg quote post Address this user
Sorry, for being so naive. I do recognize the frustration
Post 21 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Baxter @Rik

Yes. I was surprised to see that Matterport post this job opening too

Dan
Post 22 IP   flag post
101630 22 22
This topic is archived. Start new topic?