Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 692 Unique Visitors
9,053 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,455 Page Views | 19,142 Unique Visitors | 28 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Museums

Huge Model - How Big Can You Go?2996

LookingGlass private msg quote post Address this user
We have been in the Matterport game for a little more than year now and every once in awhile we get challenged. I'm sure everyone has wondered how big of a model can be done. We have done our fair share of 300 or even a few 400 scan job but this one takes the cake. We were hired to do a middle school and we knew it was big so was this the time we were going to do two models and link them together with Mattertags? No, we went ahead an scanned that space straight up. A total of 779 scans later it was complete but we never could get it to render. The Matterport port engineers were very impressed with the number of scans but told us that something that big would never render and suggested that we break it up into two scans. But just for fun I went through the model and deleted 274 scan points. Let me tell you I got 80% warnings that these scan points that I was deleting were "Orphaned Scans" and they might mess up the model. So I re-uploaded the new 505 scan model on Saturday night and Sunday afternoon Christmas came early when I got that classic Matterport email that my Jefferson Middle School Copy 6 was ready to view.

Well here it is for your consideration:
https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=8uWbhgBRRyP

Be Great, John McBride
Looking Glass Services
Post 1 IP   flag post
Standard
Wandsworth U.K.
RobinLycka private msg quote post Address this user
HOLY SMOKES! That´s the biggest I´ve heard of.

My browser is struggling with this though.
Post 2 IP   flag post
It works fine on mine but I understand that not everyone has a new PC or smartphone. If push comes to shove we can got back and just make it two models and link them with the Mattertags. That's one of the reasons I posted it to see how many complaints I get on how sluggish it might be for some people.

Thanks for the input.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Gerhard private msg quote post Address this user
Congratulations on pushing the tech to the limits or have you? Took about 1:30 to load on my MacBook. It looks good. But I get why you would want to break it up in two, if the floor plan and doll house view is important. Again well done , and it looks like its over 5000 Sqf + . How much if I may ask have you charged them or did you do it as a nonprofit?
Post 4 IP   flag post
lisahinson private msg quote post Address this user
That's just incredible - thanks for sharing the information!
Post 5 IP   flag post
I would estimate the hallways and the rooms we went in probably 30 to 40 thousand square feet maybe more. As for the price yeah we did it pro bono. But if we were going to charge them maybe about $850.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Viewing private msg quote post Address this user
@LookingGlass That seems very cheap for such a massive space. Great work on getting it to work though. Just personally I'd split this into a few different models and incorporate the extra $19x however many models into the overall charge.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Missoula, MT
rpetersn private msg quote post Address this user
Hi all...

First of, be sure to check out (@Metroplex360) MP2SQFT, it is amazing. Using that tool, it seems like this model noted above is well over 50,000 sq. feet. Wow...nice work @LookingGlass!

This post is timely for me as well as a scanning client just launched a large tour that we completed earlier this fall:

http://bigskybrew.com/brewery/virtual-tour/

This brewery scan was just over 26,500 sq feet in 299 sweeps. For various reasons, this job took us 2 different trips to the Brewery and (gulp) probably 15+ hours of scanning, much of which took place in the middle of the night. The biggest challenge was that we knew there wasn't going to be a second chance to come back to the "main" brewery. We knew that once anyone showed up in the AM the brewery floor would be massively different (pallets, machinery, deliveries, etc). So, once we started, we had to finish. This, plus we really wanted to capture a summer concert that was happening outside and needed to be at that specific entryway right at sunset.

One other interesting detail here is that the building has a mezzanine level that is home to the Brewery offices. We didn't want/need to scan those spaces for this tour, but there were spaces on either side of this level that DID need to be included in the tour. Since we couldn't walk through the offices, we decided to scan "Floor 2" from the tasting room side first. Later in the project, we came back to "Floor 2", but from the Brewery side. There is just one point where the two sides meet up (the window looking into the fermentation "brew house" area). I was SWEATING how this would line up considering that we came at it from two different directions, on two different days. To my amazement, everything lined right up...to the inch.

Between the timing considerations, general layout, size, and scheduling this was far and away the most challenging (& stressful!) scanning project we've tackled. I was thoroughly impressed with how everything (camera, tech, iPad) performed and our only real technical issue was WiFi interference amongst all of the LARGE metal silos. (I often had to move the camera/iPad away from those structures in order to get a sweep to transfer to the iPad).

In any case, it would appear that Matterport's processing and overall "tech" can now reliably manage much larger spaces! In the future, we won't hesitate at all when promoting scanning services to clients with LARGE spaces.

Cheers,

Ross
Post 8 IP   flag post
Dana Point, CA
RPOceanic private msg quote post Address this user
Is there a way to divide a large shoot into 2 models after the fact?
Post 9 IP   flag post
Wyzlo private msg quote post Address this user
Great Scan !!!!!
congratulations !!!

But I will suggest to hide some scans
many unnecessary spots

Post 10 IP   flag post
josephthomp private msg quote post Address this user
Both of these models are incredibly impressive. As for loading both loaded very quick with no issues on a Samsung Note 5 in Chrome with wifi.
Post 11 IP   flag post
vincent private msg quote post Address this user
Great Scan
Not sure if anyone brought this up.

It bothers me that the name and address of the school is posted on this tour. Can't you give it a cryptic code name or fake address or no address. "JMS-3500" would work or similar.

I happen to have family that live in Winston Salem
This model makes this school a target for people with the worst intentions, that's not too cool.

Just saying
Post 12 IP   flag post
VRealExperience private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerhard
Congratulations on pushing the tech to the limits or have you? Took about 1:30 to load on my MacBook. It looks good. But I get why you would want to break it up in two, if the floor plan and doll house view is important. Again well done , and it looks like its over 5000 Sqf + . How much if I may ask have you charged them or did you do it as a nonprofit?

Loaded great on my end...one of the perks of having a brand new gaming PC built for VR
Post 13 IP   flag post
VRealExperience private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent
Great Scan
Not sure if anyone brought this up.

It bothers me that the name and address of the school is posted on this tour. Can't you give it a cryptic code name or fake address or no address. "JMS-3500" would work or similar.

I happen to have family that live in Winston Salem
This model makes this school a target for people with the worst intentions, that's not too cool.

Just saying

This is one of the dilemmas, isnt it? But how is this any different than the school posting it on their website? We cant let them win.

You could also make the argument, that the school, AND parents, could use this model to plan prevention and reaction to such a tragedy as well.
Post 14 IP   flag post
lisahinson private msg quote post Address this user
@VRealExperience what an great idea! - using the model to plan for worst case (i.e.) shooting, etc..
Post 15 IP   flag post
101641 15 15
This topic is archived. Start new topic?