Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
CamerasCapture AppProblemsScanning

New firmware update for Matterport Camera?2862

yoon2366 private msg quote post Address this user
Is there a new camera firmware update since ver.2.2? I dont see any update notification from the app store
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@yoon2366

The App Store will only show the version number and date of version for the Matterport Capture app: not firmware updates.

When you pair your camera with the Capture app, you will see a message, if there is a firmware update.

That said, yesterday (6 October 2016), @RenderingSpace reported that he was having issues with the newest firmware update.

He started a discussion on this topic here and in the 5 comment down, he recommends NOT updating to the latest version of the firmware.

New Processing Images Delay

I would follow that discussion closely for more info, BEFORE upgrading to the latest firmware.

Best,

Dan
Post 2 IP   flag post
yoon2366 private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you Dan!
Post 3 IP   flag post
JohnBecker private msg quote post Address this user
Update - there have been a few more comments. @RenderingSpace later said the issue went away by itself for some unknown reason, then JC3DCX said it seems to correlate to lighting conditions. It'll be hard to know exactly what's going on until there's another firmware update or some word from Matterport.
Post 4 IP   flag post
jntooker private msg quote post Address this user
Is this available to everyone? I thought I read in the email from MP that it was only being released to certain users..?
Post 5 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
I haven't received it. I did a long scan yesterday... and haven't seen an app update yet!
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Basic
New Brighton, PA
frstbubble private msg quote post Address this user
@jntooker @Metroplex360
From Matterport

Hello all,

We're sending the next version of camera firmware (v. 1.1.423.xx) to a small number of users. We're very excited about this release -- it should address both banding seen from LED lighting, and the yellow tints seen in some models.

When the camera detects significant LED-induced flicker, it will take additional exposures, and capture time will be a bit slower in those conditions. However, it does mean that the resulting model will look normal. If you feel the camera is showing this behavior even in non-LED-lit areas, please let us know at beta@matterport.com.
Post 7 IP   flag post
jfantin private msg quote post Address this user
So apparently this is not a general firmware update but a limited test? I haven´t received any notification regarding any update and I am working business as usual.

Perhaps this is a beta test? It is strange that such test is being imposed on some users as guinea pigs...
Post 8 IP   flag post
DSPhoto private msg quote post Address this user
@jfantin I Totally agree.

This is the type of thing that should be tested and perfected before going out to working operators who have budgeted time based on known factors and guaranty their results.

As a very new camera owner I am looking closely at the customer service response time issues and technical issues like this and if I do not see an improvement worthy of my investment in the camera I will have a decision to make very soon.
Post 9 IP   flag post
RenderingSpace private msg quote post Address this user
UPDATE

I also think it's odd that the update was rolled out to just a select number of users.

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

I welcome any upgrades to the software as long as they aren't accompanied by a downgrade.

I'very been asked to scan the entire Seattle Art Museum for an upcoming exhibit. I anticipated it will take 4-6 hours but because of the mixed lighting and with the new update it will probably take an additional 3 hours.

Not acceptable!

I emailed Matterport support but haven't received a reply. Sounds like I need to email Beta.

I'm going to be asking if I can restore the old software because it is DEFINITELY not worth it
Post 10 IP   flag post
I got the invite but I'm not going to install just yet. I read another thread where someone said it was going to add hours to the scan/align time. That sounds like something I'd like to avoid.
Post 11 IP   flag post
RenderingSpace private msg quote post Address this user
Again, for those who haven't seen the other thread... This is a typical scan with the new firmware. It might not seem like a lot but when you add 20-30 extra seconds per scan, it adds up and can quickly drive you insane. Sorry for the wrong orientation.
Post 12 IP   flag post
holy molasses...not installing that.
Post 13 IP   flag post
George_WALKINTOUR private msg quote post Address this user
So only a limited few got the firmware update? Lucky us. I updated it not knowing what was going to happen. Each scan takes like 60-70 seconds now. :/
Post 14 IP   flag post
Property3dNZ private msg quote post Address this user
I'm currently testing the update - it seems that it does the slowing down and "processing image" thing in areas of low light in my experience (ie in garages, walk in robes) with not as much light. It definitely slows you down a little but I wouldn't have thought it added hours - not in my experience so far! In NZ the laws have changed and now all new home builds have to have all LED lighting so I have been struggling with this for months and the update seems to be working in regards to this.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Hilton Head Island, SC
THRHHI private msg quote post Address this user
I would gladly take the firmware update. the yellow blotches on every project are not acceptable and it would be worth the extra scan time to know the model would be presentable. I really thought i would get to beta considering how much i complain about it and the fact that I make them reprocess the models(i.e. kill the contrast) to get something fairly usable.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
I am very happy for the update as far as quality goes.

This being said... I am six hours into a tour that should have taken 4 hours to complete. My camera is taking forever to do scans. 60-70s instead of 40.

It is adding hours for me. The realtor has started as it's a 2 million dollar property and things are getting a little bit tense. I estimated 4.5 hours.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
@RenderingSpace agreed 100℅. A tour cannot take this long.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznparkranger
So only a limited few got the firmware update? Lucky us. I updated it not knowing what was going to happen. Each scan takes like 60-70 seconds now. :/

I requested it out of jealousy. I am now jealous of myself last week.
Post 19 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@Metroplex360

Seems like all of this could be done in the Cloud?

Dan
Post 20 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
@DanSmigrod My thoughts EXACTLY. I have no idea why they are offloading the processing to our cameras.

This update would be nice if it happened during idle time, not during scan time. Otherwise, we need a more powerful Matterport Camera. I would be fine if Matterport offered a deal where we can pay $500 for an upgrade. They ship us a refurbished unit with upgraded hardware and we send out cameras back in.

Matterport can make so serious cash here on selling a service. A camera upgrade. Faster CPU and perhaps some onboard caching (does Matterport have ANY storage?).

If the new processing made the difference between my tour looking yellow and ugly and looking white balanced, it was worth it; however; the added time is going to add DAYS to some of my shoots wherein I have multiple tours for a client from 10-5.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Property3dNZ private msg quote post Address this user
@Metroplex360
Hey I don't know if you have seen this but MP are saying that they have fixed the delay issues (see below) I have just updated the software now but won't be doing any scanning till next week to test it....

UPDATE 1: Thanks to excellent feedback from our test group, we've determined the LED detection in the beta firmware is too sensitive. We are adjusting, and expect to have updated firmware for fresh testing within the next few business days. This should restore camera to normal performance standards in all but the heaviest LED lighting environments. We will post more ... when that new version releases. Thank you again for your feedback, it's tremendously helpful!

UPDATE 2: The updated firmware is in the field for a very small number of cameras. Pending further testing and feedback, we will release it to the wider testing group. Initial feedback is positive!

UPDATE 3: After finding and fixing one bug, the next production version of camera firmware is in final testing, with our beta users! Wide release expected in the next several business days!
Post 22 IP   flag post
@Property3dNZ thanks!!! Can anyone confirm this is fixed?? Are you still having delays?
Post 23 IP   flag post
VRealExperience private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSmigrod
@yoon2366

The App Store will only show the version number and date of version for the Matterport Capture app: not firmware updates.

When you pair your camera with the Capture app, you will see a message, if there is a firmware update.

That said, yesterday (6 October 2016), @RenderingSpace reported that he was having issues with the newest firmware update.

He started a discussion on this topic here and in the 5 comment down, he recommends NOT updating to the latest version of the firmware.

New Processing Images Delay

I would follow that discussion closely for more info, BEFORE upgrading to the latest firmware.

Best,

Dan

It's good advice not to update firmware right away and end up the guinea pig. It applies to pretty much all technology form factors for those unaware.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
I wanted to post my experience with the new firmware.

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=2iVwrX1cjMd

The quality is EXCEPTIONAL. The color is EXCEPTIONAL. Everything looks INCREDIBLE.

This house had a LOT of warm yellow lighting and was a little dark. Based on my experience, I was expecting the tour to be overly yellow.

I am astounded at the results. The extra 100 minutes (give or take) of scan time in the firmware that I had made the difference (I believe) in making the tour shine.

@Property3dNZ I'll check to see if there's an update for me Hopefully there is!
Post 25 IP   flag post
JC3DCX private msg quote post Address this user
I have checked this morning and no update for me, hope its in the pipeline, as Im in a different time zone...

@Metroplex360 , wow, another great one, and definitely nice color,
Post 26 IP   flag post
JonJ private msg quote post Address this user
@Metroplex360,
I am agreement with you. Based on the type of lighting and lack of natual light, I would have expected significant yellowing on the walls. Clearly there is an improvement in image processing. However, it does come at a cost. Can you estimate what the increase in time is in percentage? I know that this correction increases scan time from 40 seconds to 60-70 seconds, but that does not happen for every scan. It would be beneficial to see what the impact is per job,vice per scan.
Thanks,
Jon
Post 27 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
@JonJ - On this tour, I did a few tricky things. I needed to have all doors leading to the patio CLOSED but have the back patio accessible. So I did some scanning tricks to make this possible which took a lot of trial and error. I did about 30 extra scans that failed. The total number of scans shot was about 240. For 30 seconds extra time each, that's 2 hours of additional scanning time for the home.

Now, I 100% believe that this is the best looking tour that I have ever shot - and I've shot around 160 so far.

So is it worth it? Yeah... but I hate scanning homes now I look forward to the updated updates that @Property3dNZ mentioned! If I can have the best of both worlds, then it's as if I got a NEW MODEL OF MATTERPORT CAMERA. That's how strongly I believe in the improvements!
Post 28 IP   flag post
@Metroplex360 thanks for this. You've convinced me, I'm going to install the update now.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
I just got the update to the update. My next scans are on Monday/Tuesday next week and I'll share how it goes.
Post 30 IP   flag post
101436 37 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?