Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
ThreeDImaging private msg quote post Address this user
Does anyone still use a light meter, or do u think cameras have developed so much that the computer within the camera does the job?
Has anyone tried any of the apps for the iPhone/iPad?
Post 1 IP   flag post
jfantin private msg quote post Address this user
Hi @persin,

When I use the Matterport camera I don´t have neither the need nor the possibility of using a ligh meter.

When I use my Iris360 to do 360 shots or for Google StreetView projects I do use a light meter from my iPhone (the app is called myLighmeter - it is a free version).

It is a basic application but good enough for my purposes (the Iris does not have complex adjustments).

If I were to use a professional DSLR camera then perhaps I would use a professional light meter, but currently I am only using one shot 360 cameras for my business.

Have a nice evening.
Jorge
Post 2 IP   flag post
ThreeDImaging private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you Jjantin. I was looking into one to help me optimize the picture quality of the theta s.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Well, I am not familiar with the Theta but I have heard that it has not a very good quality, although I think that it can be improved if you play a little with the setings.

The Iris360, which is the camera I use, has two main controls: ISO and shutter speed (aperture is fixed to f4). So what I do is to read the light with my iPhone light meter and then adjust ISO up to the level that allows me to use a decent shutter speed, let's say 1/30 or faster.

I noticed that shoting in full automatic with these one shot 360 cameras can produce low quality images.

I hope this helps
Post 4 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
@jfantin
I just have a few questions, you said the Iris360 does not do good in the automatic mode, does it optimize the balance in each of the four lenses independent or is there just one sensor? You also said you set it manually since the camera shots 360 degrees simultaneously, where do you take your light reading in the brightest area or the darkest to get the best balance?

Ron
Post 5 IP   flag post
Ron

Perhaps I should explain a little bit: the Iris360 does produce very good images for the purpose of web publishing and Google StreetView in average light conditions.

It is in the low or challenging light conditions that the Iris360 could have some problems, but are solvable.

While the Iris has a single sensor, it has the possibility of taking a single shot in HDR mode which means having 5 or 9 (depending if it is HDR or HDR+) different alternative shots (ie. -5ev, -4ev, -2ev, 0ev and +2ev).

After that, during the processing stage the software automatically takes the best shot to make the stitching, taking care of differences in exposure in different directions.

Having said that, when you shot in very challenging conditions, like a dark wood paneled place with wide open windows at noon, the final result could be not as good as if I were using a DSLR carefully metering for each shot.

Now, answering your question, I use my light meter pointing to different directions and make some sort of average, letting the HDR feature to do its job. I have to say that 99% of the times the end result is good enough. What I look for is to see what is the best shutter speed that I can use.

I always have in mind that for a better result I have to work between 1/30 and 1/125, playing with the ISO setting (going up in ISO, let´s say to 3,200, doesn´t affect the final result considering my needs)

Bear in mind that I use the Iris360 mainly for Google StreetView and hence the quality requirements are not as high as in other activities.

Best regards.
Jorge
Post 6 IP   flag post
101437 6 6
This topic is archived. Start new topic?