Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AdviceHelp WantedProblems

Theta S settings2604

Regina, Saskatchewan Canada
Queen_City_3D private msg quote post Address this user
I've been complementing Matterport scans with 360° shots from my Ricoh Theta S, and sometimes I've been happy with the results... other times not so much.

Take these for instance:

https://theta360.com/s/opI1f5EZ4SO3eaGwT0Kn7vgXI?view=embed

vs.

https://theta360.com/s/mFl7U8ViOVORr0hlPcKO308Tg?view=embed

This was at the same house. First link shot in front yard. Second shot in backyard. Shots were taken a minute apart from each other and settings were same for both.

What would cause the big difference in colour saturation? Anyone have any ideas?
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@Queen_City_3D

That's great that you are testing 360ºs with the Ricoh Theta S + Matterport. And, thank you for sharing your challenge. You are ALWAYS so good about helping other Forum Members, so I hope we can crowd-source some answers for you.

A Few Thoughts

1. My impression is that if you set the Camera to HDR, it does not remember the setting for the next shot. (Perhaps that it happening with other settings too.)

2. Are you using Automatic or manual settings?

3. Are you using EV to do adjustments?

4. Are you placing the camera perpendicular or parallel to the sun? (It makes a difference. Test it.)

Also

1. We use the TouchReTouch iOS app ($1.99) to remove the tripod.
2. I started using the @dansmigrod/about" target="_blank">round.me instead of Ricoh for hosting. While it adds to the workflow, it's nice to do a 360º outdoor tour like this (that also works nicely with WP3D Models (example).
3. I use this monopole to my tripod base to make the tripod less noticeable (or less to patch with the app).

Let us know what you figure-out please.

Best,

Dan
Post 2 IP   flag post
Helen private msg quote post Address this user
@Queen_City_3D Here is my first test with the Theta S that I did a few months back and I use YouVisits to display. I also did a Matterport Scan on this property. It took me 10 minutes with the Theta to capture this home and a little touch in lightroom. I did not use the HDR on the Theta as I found there was to much chromatic aberration I used the DR mode instead. I was quite happy with the results as it was the first time I used that little camera.

http://youvis.it/qavEOe
Post 3 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
DR mode? @helen these look great on mobile! My theta didn't sell on eBay as the buyer backed out. Maybe I need to try this.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Helen private msg quote post Address this user
@Metroplex360 Yes on the capture app you can choose noise reduction, DR compensation or HDR rendering. I find the HDR has more chromatic than DR compensation. The DR is a one shot I assume using cameras dynamic range, and as you know it uses 3 bracketed for the HDR. Did you happen to view the VR on YouVisits? I do not have a VR headset yet so I am wondering how it looks in VR? I was very pleased with the interior not so happy with the exterior but it was a pretty gloomy day. Maybe I should have done the HDR outside. There are other apps for the Theta where you can do your own bracketing and then blend them in HDR software of your choice. I personally do not really care for Theta's in app HDR.
Post 5 IP   flag post
101432 5 5
This topic is archived. Start new topic?