Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 761 Unique Visitors
9,054 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,838 Page Views | 19,122 Unique Visitors | 26 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum

Matterport Point-cloud beta program2598

maire private msg quote post Address this user
Hi everybody , has anybody ever downloaded a point cloud as offered by matter port as a beta program.

"Downloading a point cloud version is currently in beta."

And if so be able to compare to one offered veriscian.com?

Thank you very much for considering my questions.
maire
Post 1 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
Hello Maire,

I'm not sure they should be charging for this service:

Convert Matterport scan to point cloud
$3.99
Convert a Matterport scan to photographic point cloud (.pts) for importing into CAD software.
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@Maire

Matterport Object file (.obj) to Point Cloud file (.pts)
Matterport Object file (.obj) to SketchUp file (.skp)

Best,

Dan
Post 3 IP   flag post
Thank you guys, it seems matterport charges similar to veriscian.

I somewhere heard Matterport charges for the download of the .obj-file, too, but could verify reading their prices. Any links on that, too?
Best, Thomas
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@maire

Presently, Matterport does not charge for downloading the Object File (.obj)

Dan
Post 5 IP   flag post
JakeRees private msg quote post Address this user
@maire
Matterport conversion to pts file type is free during the beta(they deliver a .xyz via dropbox). Using the link you have, fill out the form and submit- its really that easy.

I have had one done by both verician and matterport- Quality wise they are similar, timewise versican is much faster! I had mine in about 10 mins vs a few hours, plus having the ability to pic the size you want/need is nice as well. Both import easily into autodesk recap, you can then convert to a dwg file after if need be.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Thank you Jake, huge help for me to get around in that new field.
Best, Maire
Post 7 IP   flag post
JakeRees private msg quote post Address this user
No worries @marie
If you want to take a look at them before you start converting your own I can share the drop box link with you, just pm me your email and Ill add you.
Post 8 IP   flag post
JoshReadhead private msg quote post Address this user
I'm really excited by the launch of the Matterport point cloud beta program - it’s great that Matterport are starting to see the value it can bring the architecture, engineering and construction (AEC) industry. Hopefully this is only the beginning of great features for Matterport in the AEC industry.

As @Metroplex360 @DanSmigrod mentioned, we (Veriscian) also offer a service to convert a Matterport scan to point cloud. The main difference is that our service starts with the OBJ file and converts it to point cloud, whereas the Matterport beta program provides the point cloud from prior to it being converted to OBJ. So you will tend to find that the point cloud produced from our conversion is a bit cleaner looking (i.e. smoother/flatter surfaces) as its gone through that extra clean-up step of being converted to the OBJ mesh. Depending on your application, you might find either point cloud more appropriate.

For anyone interested in using the point cloud with Autodesk Revit, ReCap or AutoCAD - below are a few step by step guides on how to do it. These steps were written initially for the .pts file produced our point cloud conversion service, but they should also work with the Matterport beta point cloud (.xyz file).

Install Autodesk Recap 2016 free
Index raw point cloud using Autodesk Recap
Import a point cloud into Revit
Import a point cloud into AutoCAD 2016 (external)
Post 9 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
@JoshReadhead Thank you so much for this post!!!! At first, I thought you guys were just selling the file -- but I took a moment to read the article you had written that Dan pointed me to and realized that the tour that was used as an example didn't even contain a point cloud. What's great for your company is that access to download the point cloud file was shut down today
Post 10 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Update - my simple download service is back up. I figured out a loophole. Expect it to be shut off within 24 hours.
https://mp2sqft.com/matterpoint/
Post 11 IP   flag post
101736 11 11
This topic is archived. Start new topic?