Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 488 Unique Visitors
9,045 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 33,567 Page Views | 18,421 Unique Visitors | 26 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
GearGimbalsStabilizerZillow

Zillow Certified Photographer Program2589

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@LewisBishop

If Zillow marketing came to the conclusion that video:

✓ gets more views
✓ gets more calls
✓ gets more "saves" of which houses to re-visit

Then, the conclusion is how does Zillow get a TON of videos AND make that a competitive advantage of search Zillow. If you look at the pool of potential videos as as an iceberg, the tip above the water are Pro shot videos. That said, 90 percent of the iceberg is below water. That's the masses - any and everyone with a smartphone. That's simply brilliant thinking or at least courageous thinking.

While we (all) might have a heart attack arguing about quality of the video, it is not about quality.

It's about creating a tool that empowers photographers and agents - anyone - to easily, quickly and affordably create video that is exclusively available for Zillow (and Zillow companies such as Trulia).

It's actual big picture, bold thinking by Zillow visionaries to make video - shot by the masses - via their app a top priority: so much so, that an image is reserved for promoting, shoot a video for this listing.

I could imagine that other real estate portals will do the same. Obviously, it would be nice if they said Matterport is our choice. Given that News Corp. (Realtor.com) recently announced a strategic investment in Matterport, I could imagine this is EXACTLY the thinking. Trump Zillow video with Matterport front and center.

if that's the case, then FINALLY, Matterport is helping create demand for the Matterport Pro community.

Best,

Dan

Related Discussions

Sweet Deal: Matterport Equity for Influence
Ashton Kutcher/News Corp/CBRE invest in MP
Post 26 IP   flag post
LewisBishop private msg quote post Address this user
@dansmigrod

Agreed... though the results seem to be that agents are not using the video tool. When I look at local markets and click through the listings it appears that even in some of the more heated markets many of the listings do not have video.

I can see an agent spending $225-1000 on a professional video that can not be displayed to help market their listing... getting frustrated. Imagine if every listing had a beautifully shot video representing the property instead of all those gray camera placeholders.

In addition it requires someone to go to the property to shoot the video AFTER the property is already listed as you can not assign a video without the listing already being on market.

I hear what your saying and STRONGLY believe every properly marketing home should have picture, video, Matterport and 2d floor plan... just wish Zillow would take advantage of the existing content.
Post 27 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by @LewisBishop
@dansmigrod

Agreed... though the results seem to be that agents are not using the video tool. When I look at local markets and click through the listings it appears that even in some of the more heated markets many of the listings do not have video.

I see that as an opportunity for Pros. Zillow Video Walkthrough is another visual storytelling tool for us to offer our clients. For anyone hung-up on the restrictions - must be shot with the Zillow app - get over it (and figure out how to make money with this solution). Do fine art on the weekends for your creative outlet.

Besides, restrictions allow you to be creative by pushing the limits like you do with Matterport with no f-stop, ISO, shutter speed or white balance. That's why I want to add a gimbal and wide-angle lens to my iPhone 7 Pro. Aside from blown out windows if we shoot at the "wrong" time of day, we should be able to elevate our Zillow Video Walkthroughs to an art form.

About ...Quote:

I can see an agent spending $225-1000 on a professional video that can not be displayed to help market their listing... getting frustrated. Imagine if every listing had a beautifully shot video representing the property instead of all those gray camera placeholders.

While I understand and agree with the frustration of investing money and time to be coming a Pro videographer - I have done neither - the rules have changed. Once Zillow helps potential sellers understand the value of the two minute Zillow Video Walkthroughs to helping sell their home, that's what they will be asking for: not the $1,000 profession video.

While we (all) agree it would be nice if Zillow leveraged that visual storytelling asset, we all can appreciate businesses that want a competitive advantage to differentiate themselves. Zillow is pioneering this with proprietary video. I could imagine them promoting, "Zillow listings have 50 percent more video." That's a compelling statement. "Realtor.com has listings have 50 percent more Matterport Spaces 3D Tours" is also a compelling statement.

If you are in the market to buy a home, are you going to search using the real estate agents' website or Zillow.com or Realtor.com?

Quote:

In addition it requires someone to go to the property to shoot the video AFTER the property is already listed as you can not assign a video without the listing already being on market.

That's a good question, but I'm not sure it's true. While Zillow will only publish a two minute video for an active listing, I could imagine that you can still shoot the video and once it gets listed, the video would show up in the listing agent's cue to approve.

Zillow, are you reading this? What say you on this point?

Quote:

I hear what your saying and STRONGLY believe every properly marketing home should have picture, video, Matterport and 2d floor plan... just wish Zillow would take advantage of the existing content.

Yes. Hallelujah and Amen. Zillow? Are you listening?

By the way, and this is worth a separate Forum thread for discussion, about "and 2d floor plan" ... I could imagine that Matterport - and their white label 2d floor plan partner - are mapping the world of indoor spaces in 2d floor plans that will eventually be an API that Zillow or Realtor.com, for example, would to include in their listings to say, "Our listings feature 50 percent more floor plans." It's another reason I say, "Save your models. One day, they may be the equivalent of stock photography that creates a recurring revenue stream for you with derivative uses from YOUR content.

Best,

Dan
Post 28 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by @JonJ

@DanSmigrod,
From my understanding, the Osmo mobile stabilizer is only compatible with certain video apps. Do you know for certain that it will function with the zillow video capture app? I want to be sure this rig will work before upgrading from my current stabilizer.
Thanks,
Jon

@JonJ

The We Get Around Atlanta Zillow rep writes:

"From our understanding, the Osmo Mobile utilizes their own app to record the video. The Zillow Video Walkthroughs must be recorded and uploaded from within our app, so at this time, the separate Osmo app would not be supported. For those who are creating Osmo videos, those can still be shared with the listing agent and uploaded in the virtual tour field that they use for other videos."

@JonJ - I am depressed. I just received my Amazon alert that I will receive my Osmo on Wednesday 21 Sept. 2016).

I bought it specifically to use to create the Zillow Walkthrough videos.

Seems like the Osmo and Zillow Certified Photographer program are a great fit. I hope Zillow and Osmo become fast-friends. Osmo would sell a TON more of the mobile phone gimbals, Zillow would get a TON more Pros to participate in their program because Pro photographers care about creating great video.

More on a Zillow related post in a moment.

Dan
Post 29 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
@dansmigrod

... In addition (Zillow) requires someone to go to the property to shoot the video AFTER the property is already listed as you can not assign a video without the listing already being on market.

The We Get Around Atlanta Zillow rep writes: (some good news)

"You [Dan] are correct, videos can absolutely be added to properties before they are listed. The video will not be displayed publicly until 1) the home is For Sale and 2) the video has been published by the listing agent. For those using the Zillow Real Estate app, search the property address. For agents who are also photographers and using the Premier Agent App, you can find an off market home by using the “Search all homes” feature."

"We are always keeping buyers top of mind as we build out new tools and features. Video walkthroughs have been designed in a way to maintain a consistent buyer experience across our site. Stay tuned as we continue to improve on our products and offerings."

Dan
Post 30 IP   flag post

JonJ private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod,
Here is the response I got.

To my understanding, the stabilizing feature should work. However, the features that connects to the phone via Bluetooth will not work. Such as pressing the record or volume up button on the stabilizer (It’s the way our code is designed). If you want to record you have to press it on the Zillow app on your smartphone. Osmo might be a stabilizer brand that might NOT work at all as it uses a different app. I’m not too sure about it. At this moment, any type of Bluetooth feature on stabilizers will not be recognize on the Zillow app.

So, based on this response and the response you posted, I don't think zillow knows for certain. Don't lose hope!

Good luck!
Jon
Post 31 IP   flag post
WGAN Basic
New Brighton, PA
frstbubble private msg quote post Address this user
Sorry to hear about the OSMO for iPhone not being supported.

I do have and used an OSMO with an x3 and found it very hard to get decent video without excessive noise. Light too low inside the caves we live in.

So I bought a Ronin-M that I use with my Sony. But I can add a little extra weight and put my iPad pro on it and shoot stabilized video from any app. A little bigger to lug around but should give me the best-looking video from an iPad.

Will have to do some testing but that's part of the job. I hope I can capture in 4K in the Zillow app. Much work to do.
Post 32 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@JonJ

Thanks SO much for the backstory.

I just received my wireless smartphone remote that MAY enable the seamless use of the OSMO Mobile + iPhone 7 Plus.

The bluetooth remote control triggers the camera to start and stop. Hopefully, the remote would work within the Zillow app.

Of course the remote trigger packaging doesn't mention if it is compatible with the new iPhone 7 Plus (mine is due in October despite ordering within minutes of it launch at 3:01 am EDT).

I will see if my wife will let me test the remote with her iPhone 7 (scheduled to arrive today 16 Sept. 2016).

If not, I hope Zillow is listening (and following up with OSMO and the bluetooth remote control trigger).

Dan

PS @frstbubble 4K in the Zillow app would be sweet. Let's hope so!
Post 33 IP   flag post
Just sent my first video to the listing agent for approval. I'll be sure to share once approved.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Saint Louis, MO
Invelop private msg quote post Address this user
FYI, the Zillow videos are very easy to shoot and if you follow a disciplined shot list, you can be in and out of a property in less than 15 mins and fully qualified as a ZCP in three shoots. It's so easy there's no reason not to do it.

This will not be a big seller/revenue generator, however I am using it for my RE Brokerage's listings and it's simply an additional marketing piece. Thanks Dan for posting the info above.
Post 35 IP   flag post
Hi again,

I just wanted to update everyone on the listing that I shot last week.
Zillow Video Example
I shot this video with an HTC One M8 as I did not want to tie up my primary phone for this work or the Immoviewer work that I am doing.
I also used this inertial stabilizer to shoot the video.

I will be the first to say that the stabilizer was not very effective and that while it did not look too shaky on my phone preview, the result when viewed on a larger screen is not up to par. Also, the transition from downstairs to upstairs is to abrupt and disconnected.

Because of the image wobble, I purchased this 2 axis gimble stabilizer. As I have been testing it, I am really surprised by the improvement in quality for such an inexpensive tool. I am very happy with the results of this new stabilizer and I will post a link to a new property later this week where I use this device.

As always, comments and critics are welcome, be it on the video or the photography.

Thank you,
Jon
Post 36 IP   flag post
WGAN Basic
New Brighton, PA
frstbubble private msg quote post Address this user
@JonJ Thanks for the update and info on a cheap stabilizer.
Post 37 IP   flag post
MadHusband private msg quote post Address this user
@JonJ Super interested in this, be sure to share with the new stabilizer? Also are you an agent or a contract photographer? I ask that because if you are a contract photographer what are the steps in order to send the video to the home's listing agent?
Post 38 IP   flag post
Hi @MadHusband,
The process is pretty easy. As a photographer, I go to the Zillow app, type in the property address and there is a prompt to add a video. I shoot the video and then upload it. Once uploaded, Zillow sends an email for approval. I then forward this to the listing agent for approval and it gets published.
Post 39 IP   flag post
Hi Everyone,
Here is an update for everyone interested in my review of the 2 axis gimble stabilizer that I used on this property. In my opinion, the stabilizer did a great job with keeping the picture steady from a roll and pitch perspective. There is some lateral and vertical movement that I need to work on to create a better experience, but for what the stabilizer is designed to do, it performed phenomenally. I am curious to see how it stacks up to the $300 Osmo 3 axis stabilizer and whether the increase in quality will justify spending the extra $$$.
Post 40 IP   flag post
MadHusband private msg quote post Address this user
@JonJ That looks pretty darn good for roughly a $50 dollar product! If you buy the more expensive one please let me know how they compare.
Post 41 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@JonJ
@MadHusband

While I bought the DJI OSMO Mobile Handheld Stabilized Gimbal to pair with my iPhone 7 Plus, the OSMO Mobile arrived defective so I am in the midst of exchanging it for a replacement.

Dan
Post 42 IP   flag post
@DanSmigrod - I received the Osmo Mobile and was worried it would not work with Zillow. I shot my home office an uploaded to a pending listing that'll be closing this week so no harm but I'll remove the video shortly.

stabilizer works, lock works, pan control works. It does get a little confused as I noticed a couple times it had some jerky movements but that did go away.

Has anyone tried the Pilot Fly with iPhone

or Came Action2
Post 43 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@LewisBishop

Thank you SO much for testing and reporting that the Osmo Mobile works with the Zillow app. That's great news!

Looks (almost always) silky smooth.

I was worried that the Osmo trigger (shoot/stop) might not work. So, extra excited to hear that it works (along with the other OSMO controls.

Dan
Post 44 IP   flag post
WGAN Basic
Denver
pixelray private msg quote post Address this user
So I have been in talks with a Zillow rep for a while about doing these videos. They are really pushing them in our market. I have done quite a few and they even sent me a stabilizer (made by Newer) - unfortunately the blue tooth button that is supposed to start and stop recording does not work when I'm within the Zillow app. It works when I'm recording video outside the app on my iPhone SE. But bc of this, I have to touch the record button to start and stop recording. When I do this, it throws the electronic stabilizer off and makes it grow crazy. So I need another option tht will work while the Zillow app is open.

Next I will add that my biggest customer HATES the Zillow walk through vids due to the quality. She compares what she sees in these videos recorded with smartphones vs what she sees in the photos we provide with lots of post processing work done and obviously there is a HUGE difference. So I have been instructed by my client to only do outside video and let the photos and MP take care of the rest. However only doing exterior video is a "violation" of Zillow's rules and they could pull these videos since they don't include interior.

I hope they don't do this obviously bc my client gets the advantages of having the Zillow video (being at top of search results) - but I can't say I blame them for not wanting these videos to be the FIRST thing someone sees when they find a listing on Zillow. My client says of all the ways to showcase the home, that the smart phone video is the worst way to start off the viewing process. I can't seem to argue.
Post 45 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@pixelray

While I have not had a chance to try out my new iPhone blue tooth remote button with the Zillow app, it's likely that it works (so that you don't throw-off the electronic stabilizer).

(If it works, it would be a great Zillow gift for its Pros :cool

Best,

Dan
Post 46 IP   flag post
TrustedPhotoDC private msg quote post Address this user
I'm looking at few videos on Zillow that have recently been posted and oh boy, they look like crap - http://u.zillow.com/p2Rctq/

These accessories will make your Zillow video sand out from the realtor that has shakey hands, fast pans, bad lighting (and a 5 o'clock shadow.)

3-axis stabilier
Quality Wide Angle Lens - I stress quality, not the $10 or even $50 lenses you find at Best Buy.
Snap on LED light
(blue tooth remote?) - haven't had to use one yet.

While on the subject of bad video, wasn't aiming the phone/app at a screen and recording not going to be kosher?

Post 47 IP   flag post
BillJones private msg quote post Address this user
Has anyone actually created a 2 minute video of a home over 1000 square feet? Most of the homes I shoot are 2500 or larger, I've even tried encoding them at 1.5 speed (I like them fast but the brokers say they get dizzy) 1.1 seems about optimal. The whole Zillow proposal isn't going to make you any money (I am a Zillow preferred photographer), invest in a 200-300 3 axis gimbal and a gopro, leave the cell phone on your waist.

The whole process takes 10 minutes to shoot and 30 minutes to edit and encode, an easy $100 add on.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyRTJ0gcTEUaMO31dKHqS5A

they are the Walk Abouts

The early ones that are tilted to the right, they where shot with the stabilizer Zillow provided.
Post 48 IP   flag post
@BillJones - You're a Zillow preferred photographer and zillow provided you with a stabilizer to shoot video that can not be used on Zillow because there is no way to upload the video onto the listing. How are your agents using the "Go Pro" video on Zillow?

What am I missing?
Post 49 IP   flag post
WGAN Basic
Denver
Lewis - I must be missing something too. I was told by Zillow that you can't use GoPro to do their walk through vids or any other device that can't connect to their app. Thus we must use a smart phone for these videos for Zillow.
Post 50 IP   flag post
Easy, the stabilizer was crap, it would not maintain a horizon (it was for a smartphone, but had a bracket for the Gopro) so I bought my own, the Gopro's also work with the drone.

As far as Zillow goes, their program rewards you with ad space, I prefer cash. So I don't upload to them as I wouldn't want to be associated with a 2 minute cell phone walk through with me in every reflective surface, I have worked to hard to become as busy as I am. I did join their program and become 'preferred', during the process I figured out a better (for me as well as the broker) way to provided a quick walk through.

I also do not have a Matterport, I joined the forum to help me decide if it would benefit my business or not. I have a hard time justifying the up front expense, monthly expense against how many 3d's I would have to take to offset the cost, let alone turn a profit.

As I understand it, it would take several hours to scan a 5 to 6 thousand square foot home. This home took 2 1/2 hours to photograph, do a traditional 360 tour as well as the Video Walk Abouts (1st one had the gopro on the hood of the car for the mile plus driveway) the about an hour of computer time with the end result that all the charges went into MY pocket.

http://pdxrealestatephotography.com/dianne-and-jeff-yakes-listing-at-31460-sw-peaks-view-drive-hillsboro-oregon/
Post 51 IP   flag post
WGAN Basic
Denver
Still confused Bill. So you are not doing the Zillow walk through videos? The one that actually shows up on Zillow?

Looks like you are creating your own videos and just making them appear on YouTube from what I can see.

And this is the first I have ever heard of their certified Photog program rewarding you with cash - also no one has ever discussed anything about ad space. No one at Zillow has ever mentioned any Of that to me and I still talk to them once a week almost. Really confused on that. It almost seems we are discussing two separate things.

Originally it sounded like you were saying that you used a GoPro to shoot the actual Zillow walk through. Which again, I was told was NOT POSSIBLE. Cause any of us know that are doing these videos; that you must use an Android or Apple device in order to access the Zillow app to even begin the recording process. Which would disqualify using a GoPro.

If I understand you correctly, you did use a GoPro and you made your own walk through videos - BUT you just put it on YouTube instead.

Further, I looked up that listing on Zillow and it did not have a TRUE Zillow walk through video...or any other video (besides the link to the old school virtual "not so virtual" tour as I like to call them.

So to summarize - you are not shooing Zillow Walk Through Videos....esp with a GoPro. Yes, you do a walk through video that is shot with a GoPro- it just goes on a YouTube page. Is this right?

As far as using Matterport, you say you are very busy, which means you have a lot of potential clients. I promise you that 9 out of 10 will prefer a MP tour to the old school virtual tour. I turned a profit within 2 months when I purchased my camera. Plus, it's a long game to me anyway. You should look at it as an opportunity for someone else to come in and take
Business away from you. You need to be offering it before someone does that could entice your customers to look elsewhere.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Pixelray

I though I was clear.

1. they approached me, I took their course and I declined because of the poor quality.

2. I prefer a cash reward to their ads.

3. I am creating my own and posting to YouTube, pretty obvious.

You last paragraph, yes, that is what I trying to decide upon. And old school still has a lot going for it. Besides the cost, what I don't care for as far as Matterport goes is that I am not in control and if they have any issues, like going broke. all tours and equipment become instantly obsolete. As far as 9 out of 10, I have offered (another photographer) the Matterport 3D to my clients that use the Old School and when they compared cost to product, they have all stayed with Old School so far. But one never knows about tomorrow.
Post 53 IP   flag post
@BillJones -

So to be clear. The question here is not "how can I shoot video" or even "do you prefer cash rewards"... I believe everyone here has and does.

Shooting video and posting on youtube so agents can utilize in their marketing is absolutely valuable.

In this post titled "Zillow Certified Photographer Program"... I believe everyone's trying to determine the best way to capitalize as well as determine how to provide a superior product so we can effectively up-sell.

Ultimately the Zillow video is a benefit to the agent and their client (the seller) as it boosts the visibility of the listing.
Post 54 IP   flag post
If you want to do the Zillow thing then invest in a 3 gimbal stabilizer. I looked at all of them and bought http://www.zhiyun-tech.com/ the evolution and the pround but they make units for cell phones. Take a look at the home and decide which rooms you will skip because of the 2 minute time frame. Your product will be fantastic compared to some Realtor hand holding his phone.

Now the reason I don't agree about the benefits is first, I host all of my work and have counters on everything, the counter reports show where the traffic came from, 90 percent is from the local MLS then split between Zillow, Trulia and Realtor.com

To me this means that most of the viewers are local and the realtors are as well, they will see my banner on all the virtual tours, that sells me. I don't care if someone in Denver likes my work, they won't be hiring me.

Also, I see it from the other side, I have been a Realtor for 42 years and I want to be associated with good work so potential sellers want me to do their listing and photography and a sloppy, wobbly 2 minute cell phone video does not help my image.
Post 55 IP   flag post
101587 92 30