Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 1,001 Unique Visitors
9,052 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 33,924 Page Views | 18,799 Unique Visitors | 24 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum

Free MP2SQFT.com Calculates SQ FT and Metres2568

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Use the new www.MP2SQFT.com to easily, quickly and affordably (free for We Get Around 3D2VR Forum Members) to calculate square feet (SQ FT) -- and Square Meters (m₂) - from your Matterport Spaces 3D Tours.

For example, for the We Get Around Atlanta Matterport Spaces 3D tour (below), I entered:

1. The Matterport URL for my model
2. The Promo Code (PM me: free for Members)

And, the MP2SQFT.com calculation tool generated the info below.

When you join the WE GET AROUND FORUM as of 5 pm EDT today (Sunday, 4 September 2016), you automatically receive the Promo Code for www.MP2SQFT.com ... If you are already a WE GET AROUND FORUM Member, please PM me with the subject line. www.MP2SQFT.com Promo Code

A super-talented Member of the FORUM created this tool for the free and exclusive use of the Forum's Matterport Community.

Best,

Dan

-----

Post 1 IP   flag post
franmts private msg quote post Address this user
Awesome tool @DanSmigrod, thanks to you and the skilled developer! And I'm honestly courious now who he might be...

This is another value punch on the "cheaper 360 only" guys !
Post 2 IP   flag post
3D Renderings
AEC Elevation Drawings
Montreal, Québec
ArchimedStudio private msg quote post Address this user
This is awesome!! Thanks Dan and genius "anonymous" member
Post 3 IP   flag post
Scannen private msg quote post Address this user
Awesome tool! Thanks
Post 4 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
You know, Dan didn't say it was anonymously created

I had a model that I needed to measure and I was getting EXTREMELY frustrated with the measurement tools in Workshop. I found a better way. With Dan's help, we refined the tool to be more user friendly and in return, it's a gift to people who are members on the forum!
Post 5 IP   flag post
Jamie private msg quote post Address this user
Nicely done.
My only concern is that the exterior walls are not included as per the ansi z765 standard. So anyone using this to advertise the square footage in north American would be out.
That said, still very cool that you did this.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
@Jamie I absolutely agree. The tool is-what-it-is. It tells you the SQFT that you've scanned with the ability to toggle off sections. I think that this is more useful for billing than anything. I am using it to bill for a particular space that I shot. If I figure out any way to get information such as SQFT based on perimeter, I'll be sure to add it if it's possible.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
As a note, I've discovered that this is NOT compatible with tours shot before the November 2015 firmware update.
Post 8 IP   flag post
smcclell private msg quote post Address this user
once again, AWESOME work Metro!
Post 9 IP   flag post
CelisNet private msg quote post Address this user
Amazing job! Thanks a lot!
Post 10 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
@Metroplex, again great job, it looks like you live and breath Matterport

Ron
Post 11 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
To give yourself confidence for using the free MP2SQFT.com square feet – and meters – calculator for invoicing, compare what you actually invoiced the client and if you use this tool going forward.

Ideally, share your results here:

1. Invoiced Client xx sq ft
2. MP2SQFT.com says xx sq ft
3. Number of sq ft difference
4. Percentage of sq ft difference

Best,

Dan

P.S. The MP2SQFT.com calculator tool is free for We Get Around 3D2VR Forum Members. When you join, your welcome email includes the Promo Code.

If you are already a Forum Member, simply PM for the Promo Code
Post 12 IP   flag post
CarlosFHdz private msg quote post Address this user
Awesome, well done Sir!
Just tried it. cool stuff.

I underestimated the SqFt and didn't charge enough for this model, lol
Post 13 IP   flag post
Acomeau15 private msg quote post Address this user
@metroplex360

Well done, tried it on a few models and it definitely checks out, we'll be using this as part of our billing process ensure we are as close as possible to the true Sqft.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Hi All!

I worked on this tool all day today. I had @hometakes contact me and ask the elephant in the room question that @Jamie also asked here.

"It would be nice if we could calculate the SQFT of the entire home with this tool."

Well sure, it would be nice, but there's no data to support that. The only way to possibly do this is if you could draw the data in yourself.

So, since inquiry was so polite... I got to thinking... would that be possible?

So as silly as it sounds, v2.0 is now available... and includes 'Scan Data Studio'.

In Scan Data Studio, you can use an embedded image editor to 'Doodle' on top of each floorplan and fill in all the areas that the camera didn't scan. You can then save the image, reload the page, and get totals based upon your added input.

The tool should be accurate. It's based on proportions of gray space to colored space. The logic totally makes sense.

I would absolutely LOVE for you guys to continue to play with this, test it, etc.

--

Thank you for your comments this labor day:
@DanSmigrod, @acomeau15, @CarlosFHdz, @ron0987, @smcclell, @CelisNet, @Scannen, @ArchimedStudio, @franmts
Post 15 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks Anonymous(@Metroplex360),
Also thanks Dan for the overall organization of the forum.

This is again shows the truly great pool of knowledge and information the overall group of Matterport users have.

This is just another tool that is amazing, data is great.

Thanks again

Ron
Post 16 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Morning update -- I figured out how to properly integrate Pixlr's full editor which features a shape tool -- so no more 'doodling'. This also adds in an 'erase' feature as you can use the color picker to select the background color and essentially REMOVE information.

Next up will be to add a one click to refresh data on the page instead of having to reload the entire page.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Helen private msg quote post Address this user
@Metroplex360 just tried it out fantastic tool!! Thank You!!
Post 18 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Metroplex360

Thank you for solving a pain-point for Matterport Service Providers.

Measuring square feet (and meters) has been a challenge for many of us.

Here's some discussion in the Forum on this topic going back over a year:

Metric units in "measure tool"
How to calculate square footage for billing
Square Footage Off on Floor Plans, MP Issue?

Best,

Dan
Post 19 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@GlennTremain

Could you make a video showing how the MP2SQFT.com tool works?

Best,

Dan
Post 20 IP   flag post
ScanMan private msg quote post Address this user
Wow - This just helped me out big time !! Thanks Dan
Post 21 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Today's Update.

I've found that on LARGE scans, there's a small error margin caused by the editor resampling images that exceed 4000px on their longest side. What this causes is pixel splitting wherein pixels on the edges of the colored area may double due to being resampled.

What does this mean? This means a very small error margin. In fact, you can test this by loading your plan, then resaving it in the editor and reloading the page to see what the error margin is. You can even take that number and adjust your final answer by it and you should be able to correct the error margin.

--

GREAT NEWS THOUGH -- On plans that are < 4000px -- the error margin is TINY! I ran tests and my data I received back was 1-2 SQFT off (0.11% error margin).

--

I'd love to hear back people's findings. I want this tool to be as accurate as possible! I note all of these important things in the tool's FAQ tab.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Also, I've added in a column that shows the difference (edited - original) between Gray/Color Percent and M2/SQFT.

I ran a test today on an apartment that was measured by an architect as 804 SQFT.

The Camera Data showed 753.31 SQFT. With walls filled in, etc, the total was 790 SQFT.

So, either the architect is 14 SQFT off, or I am.

That's a 1.02% difference in sizes.
Post 23 IP   flag post
bonduell private msg quote post Address this user
Why you @metroplex360 don't show other values? Matterport has room volume data and wall area meterage. Do you wonder why Matterport basically use meters?
Post 24 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
@bonduell Because it's not useful information for the tool. No one is trying to figure out how much water it would take to fill up a room.
Post 25 IP   flag post
KateKratochvil private msg quote post Address this user
Well that was the coolest thing! I put in the link to my model and it took less than a second. Literally. Absolutely amazing!!!! Thank you!
Post 26 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
@KateKratochvil Please note, most of the information is sourced from camera data that is embedded deep within the showcase platform. The 'magic' part of the tool is the studio component as it uses image analysis and comparisons to adjust values recorded by the camera. It's pretty accurate from my tests, but not perfect.

If Matterport make changes to their platform, the tool may cease to work and I will do everything that I can to adapt the tool to still provide whatever functionality is possible from the hidden tools that can be data mined from the camera information.
Post 27 IP   flag post
KateKratochvil private msg quote post Address this user
I think it's great. I was measuring with the measure tool in the Workshop, and spending at least 10 minutes, and I'm sure that wasn't entirely accurate, either! Tax records are definitely not accurate. I advertise as charging xx per scanned sqft, so this tool will work perfect for invoicing. I hope it doesn't go away!
Post 28 IP   flag post
CarlosFHdz private msg quote post Address this user
@Metroplex360 , it appears your tool has gained much popularity and will be taken away. I just saw this on "Matterport official announcement" section. I'm confident that MP will eventually build something similar as they mention use of it in their beta program.

"For developers -- Experimental features such as "sq meters" expected to become inaccessible next week
MP-Scott created · 2 hours ago · edited · 2 hours ago
Some of our more talented and curious community developers have discovered data from experimental features accompanying Matterport spaces. Some of this, like the "sq meters" data, has garnered a lot of enthusiasm and even tools built on it. Unfortunately, as much as we love the enthusiasm, we are planning to make this sort of experimental data inaccessible next week.

For third-party developers using this feature, we know this is probably frustrating, and we apologize for the headache. We love our vibrant developer community, and we want to do all we can to foster it. But, experimental data is experimental for a reason. It may not be thoroughly tested enough, it may have serious flaws or inaccuracies, and most importantly, we don't want our customers to rely on data that we cannot fully stand behind. But there's some good news! We are hoping to further develop these feature, and then offer them as part of our formal beta program. We don't yet have a timeline for that, though.

Again, we apologize for the changes, and look forward to re-introducing "sq meters" and other functionality soon!"
Post 29 IP   flag post
3D Renderings
AEC Elevation Drawings
Montreal, Québec
ArchimedStudio private msg quote post Address this user
wow, THAT's a slap in the face... for all of us
Post 30 IP   flag post
101718 82 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?