Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 761 Unique Visitors
9,054 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,838 Page Views | 19,122 Unique Visitors | 26 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum

Very Large Scan - 299 Sweeps - Advice Please2557

Missoula, MT
rpetersn private msg quote post Address this user
Hi all,

I know many of you from my WP3D Models software and related topics here on the 3D2VR Forum. Tonight however I'm reaching out to this (awesome) community of pros and looking for a bit of advice.

Here's the deal....I recently completed a scan of Montana's largest brewery across two days and totaled out at 299 scans/sweeps. I've worked with this (also awesome)client for some time and they recently decided to integrate a Matterport tour into their site. I've been excited about and planning for this scan for some time.

So, I know that there is a 200 sweep "limit" to what can be uploaded for processing. I know that I have a tendency to "overscan" and this was top-of-mind as I worked to space things out and be keep my scan number to a minimum. Even so, I found that I just couldn't move very far between scans in many parts of the brewer. I experienced many more scan alignment errors than I'm used to seeing and I believe that this was largely due to the many very complicated shapes of bottling/canning machines as well as many rows of silos, etc, etc. Add in a public tasting room, retail sales, and "brewhouse" and it quickly became clear that I wasn't going to be able to do all this inside 200. But....I pressed on.

In an effort to protect myself, I made regular "duplications" of the working model as I went, just in case things started to get "funky" as I neared and exceeded the 200 mark. Thankfully, aside from the increased alignment errors, most of the scanning went very smoothly and I had only one app crash at the very end. I had no problems moving scans between levels and I was actually able to (it seems) successfully connect two sides of the second level that did not have a pass-through option.

Now, I sit here tonight with a fully trimmed and ready to upload model, with 299 scans.

So...my ask is this:

What advice do you all have for me at this point?

I see the following options:

1. Try to upload it as is and see what happens.
2. Try to DELETE as many non-critical** scans as possible, then upload.
3. Split it into 2 (sub 200 scan) models
4. ??

Follow up question:
** If I were to try deleting scans (on a duplicate model) what advice does anyone have re: what to save and what to delete? I'm afraid that I've never been faced with this issue and have only "disabled" scans in the "Workshop" after processing.

Here's a screenshot of the main floor from the app:

(Yikes.)

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to chime in here. I'm planning to stall here a bit and weigh my options for a day or so.

Have a great weekend,

Ross
Post 1 IP   flag post
MeshImages private msg quote post Address this user
Hello rpeterson, I would upload the 299 scan model. Maybe it works. This is better than deleting scans.

I Had a 366 scan space (auditorium) developed last week and it worked! Took them about 24 hours rendering time.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
@rpeterson Upload it for science. There have been other tours uploaded that push this limit that were successfully rendered. You'll likely want to hide a lot of the scans to make it easier to navigate once published!
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Basic
New Brighton, PA
frstbubble private msg quote post Address this user
How much beer did you get to drink? Must of been pretty good as you said you went back for a second day. Lol
Post 4 IP   flag post
Jamie private msg quote post Address this user
I did a brewery recently as well and had a heap of issues around the large stainless tanks. Basically they were giant round mirrors. It wasn't fun.
Just upload it and see how it goes. If it isn't smooth, delete every second one in those long row to under 200.
Try loading it on a mobile phone on data ad well. If it's too long, people tend to get annoyed. Because you know, an extra 30 seconds is a matter of life and death
Post 5 IP   flag post
Missoula, MT
Thanks guys!

First things first, I did get to have a couple beers over the two days. I generally waited until the work was over though as I'd need to grow another hand if I wanted to run the iPad AND sip a cold one at the same time.

So, I really appreciate the nudges (@Metroplex360 & @MeshImages) to just upload and see what happens. @Jamie, yeah...the stainless tanks were troublesome for me too. In my case they appeared to interfere with the WiFi connection between the camera & app, even when I was inches away. I couldn't get the images to "transfer" when I was surrounded by the metal tanks and had to move out to an open area to regain connection to the camera.

So, I've gone ahead and uploaded this with no deleting of sweeps....

Last Question:
Perhaps I'm just missing something obvious (or something changed in the latest versions of the app) but immediately upon tapping the "Upload Model" button I got the little cloud icon. It skipped right past the "uploading" status bar that I'm used to seeing. Inside "my.matterport.com", it already shows "processing" like one would expect.

Has anybody else seen this happen before?

I'd feel a lot better about waiting for 24-48 hours if I knew that the files had at least been uploaded to MP.

Thanks again for the help!

Ross
Post 6 IP   flag post
Standard
Winter Haven, Florida
FloridaProperties private msg quote post Address this user
I hope it works out.

I'm interested to see what happens.

We are just finishing up a hotel 50k sq ft and splitting it to 2 tours and using some 360 tours in courtyards (bar and pool area)

Good luck Ross!
Post 7 IP   flag post
JakeRees private msg quote post Address this user
Hey Ross,
That will be dope when complete!
Take a look at this- clickable text

You could break the model up into each part- sales room, brewhouse, etc and then have them all interlinked via the map. Not as smooth as an embedded tour, as it is really meant for construction management I believe- but could be a better option for you.

You can check out there website here for the pricing and what not: http://www.veriscian.com/for-matterport-users#try-it
Post 8 IP   flag post
Jamie private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah if it's a reupload of the same model just with some changes, it goes much faster
Post 9 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
@JakeRees - That's a really interesting idea. Without having any knowledge of what you're up to, I'd suggested to MP the idea of integrating Google Maps for placement of the floorplan. I really love the interface you've made here. Seems a bit buggy right now, but I really love the idea and where you are going!!!! Great stuff!
Post 10 IP   flag post
Missoula, MT
Hi all,

Good news! It looks as if the model processed successfully! What a relief. I'll be presenting this to the client and doing some polishing, but I'll post it here when complete.

Thanks again to everyone for your help....so appreciated.

Cheers! Ross
Post 11 IP   flag post
RenderingSpace private msg quote post Address this user
It's hard to get a sense of scale but looking at the capture app image, it looks like you have way too many scans. I would have done the same space in under 200. IMO less is more so you don't have to click so much to move around. Plus it cuts down on your scanning time significantly.
Post 12 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@rpetersn

1. The 200 scan limit / 10,000 sf limit is what Matterport will officially support
2. 200 scans is a "best practices" maximum because the more scans = more loading time and more potential to crash
3. Once you duplicate a model, delete scans: not hide them (hidden scans "count" towards how many scans are in the model)

About Deleting

Deleting scans is like a house of cards; you pull out a "support beam" and the house could implode. That said, I have NEVER had a problem with pulling out too many scans.

When in doubt:

1. Duplicate: get to 250 scans, then
2. Duplicate the 250 scan model and get to 225 scans
3. And so fourth

Since Matterport does NOT charge reprocessing the same model, you can keep trying to get the scan count down to 200.

As @Jamie mentioned, model takes longer to load. So, 200 or less scans would be best.

Clear as mud?

Best,

Dan
Post 13 IP   flag post
GardinerW private msg quote post Address this user
Question for the group along these lines. I have a client that wants to showcase a new hangar. How much time I should allow to scan a 10,000sf hangar space + 1,000sf office above?

I saw a post elsewhere about using a dolly to speed things up (thanks for that idea), but stil curious as to how much time I should allow + potential pricing for such a large space.

Thanks in advance for any insights you are willing to share.

Best,
Gardiner
Post 14 IP   flag post
Missoula, MT
Hi all...

Finally following up on this thread to show off this finished/published model.

http://bigskybrew.com/brewery/virtual-tour/

If calculations are correct, this was just over 26,000 sq feet in 299 sweeps.

Thanks for everyone's advice/help!

Cheers,

Ross
Post 15 IP   flag post
JakeRees private msg quote post Address this user
Hey @rpeterson,
Awesome Job!
I have 1 observation for you- Because the space is so large in the brewery/cold storage/etc sections, you could allow for even more distance in between the spaces (maybe 15-20ft instead of what I'm assuming to be 10). Im sure that could throw off the final stitching, but it feels like what a 3-4 ft scan space is in a typical building, like you are barley moving!
Besides that small nit-pick, it is amazing work-
Congrats buddy
Post 16 IP   flag post
Missoula, MT
Hey...thanks @JakeRees - totally appreciate the feedback here. We discussed this detail some when finalizing the scan and eventually decided to leave in some additional sweeps to that beer-brewery connoisseurs would have the opportunity to see as much as possible. This decision is certainly debate-able, but the owners wanted to show off as much as possible and this was where we landed. Cheers!
Post 17 IP   flag post
mcarbonell88 private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod
When in doubt:

1. Duplicate: get to 250 scans, then
2. Duplicate the 250 scan model and get to 225 scans
3. And so fourth

How do you duplicate and delete ??
thank
Post 18 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@mcarbonell88

In the Matterport app, highlight a scan.

Then, look for Duplicate and Delete buttons in the Matterport menu bar.

Okay?

Dan
Post 19 IP   flag post
Saint Louis, MO
Invelop private msg quote post Address this user
We've done more than a few models with 250-400 SPs. Paranoia ensued, so we reached out and MP Support advised us to contact them before uploading and they will redirect the model to a more powerful back-end platform to process the model. Brewery looks great, good job.
Post 20 IP   flag post
101736 20 20
This topic is archived. Start new topic?