Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AdviceBrowserWebGL

Browser support for models252

Canada private msg quote post Address this user
I have been getting some kick back from realtors because they say they can't access the models with their current browser and that "they don't have time" to download the required browsers and WebGL. They also say that this is a problem for them if potential buyers also have browsers that need updates or even download WebGL to use. Is there anything in the future that will allow models to be viewed from any browser...?
Thanks in advance
Post 1 IP   flag post
Glenda private msg quote post Address this user
It's probably not the browser but their antiquated computers. I have 2 PCs running side-by-side. I use Chrome on both but only one (the newer one) can handle the Web Player.
Post 2 IP   flag post
RenderingSpace private msg quote post Address this user
I think it's very important to set client expectations right from the beginning. On our website we have a FAQs page(http://www.renderingspace.com/frequently-asked-questions/) that we require Realtors to read before they sign up. It has a question about browser support and even a link to test WebGL.

Realtors, in my experience, aren't the most tech-savvy people in the book so you just have to do your part to set expectations beforehand so they know what to expect.

The reality is that 90% of internet users have updated browsers. The remaining 10% don't belong in the digital age. (But you obviously can't tell people that)
Post 3 IP   flag post
Orange, California
craigsauer private msg quote post Address this user
I've just had this problem with a couple of clients. And the problem wasn't just that their browser wasn't compatible with WebGL. When I had them run one of those websites that check for WebGL support, they both came back ok. And they both have successfully loaded other 3D Showcases before having a problem (of course with the ones they commissioned...)

They were having a problem in which some (most or all) of the textures in the Dollhouse view model turn black and stay that way. One of them was able to get rid of the problem by updating to the latest version of Chrome (he was only lagging current by one update!) but the other wasn't quite tech savvy enough to make that happen.

Managing expectations is definitely the way to go. I'm thinking of adding a bit of text (and a link) below 3D Showcases on my business page for users to click if they are having problems, then giving suggestions for help resolving problems.

Craig
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@craigsauer

Our blog post:

Matterport Photographers 21 Tips to Manage Real Estate Clients' Expectations

Other tips to add?

Dan
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@craigsauer

I have experienced the Dollhouse view model turning all black on an iPad ... when I did not wait for it to finish "painting" and touched it.

Can you replicate that?

Dan
Post 6 IP   flag post
jessetutt private msg quote post Address this user
@craigsauer @dansmigrod
I have seen black models quite often in areas with low network connectivity (generally when I am using my iPhone, connected to a cellular network).

Jesse
Post 7 IP   flag post
Mat private msg quote post Address this user
We see that problem here in Australia a bit. Mainly when low bandwidth too.
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@jessetutt @Mat

Ah yes! Low bandwidth. I would agree with that.

Dan
Post 9 IP   flag post
Orange, California
Interesting! The client who was having the most problems with this was the one who had me do a 10,000 sq ft property. So it makes sense that a large property like that would be more susceptible to an issue related to bandwidth.

Craig
Post 10 IP   flag post
Orange, California
(Might be a good point to add to the Managing Expectations list!)
Post 11 IP   flag post
Orange, California
Just had a new experience with browser incompatibility.

New client usually uses Internet Explorer and her 3D Showcase works fine there. She sent the link to someone in email and he reported back that it didn't work in "any of the 3 browsers" he tried. She tried it in Chrome and got the "Something went wrong" error in the 3D Showcase.

I talked her through making sure her Chrome was updated (it was) and then had her try out
https://get.webgl.org/ link
It reported that her browser was up to date but that her video card and/or drivers were not up to date.

But on the same machine (relatively recent Windows machine, running Windows 7) in works just fine on Windows 7.

I don't think it has anything to do with the specific model. It's not a huge model and there's nothing unusual about it that I can see.

Any ideas?

Craig
Post 12 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@craigsauer

Not that it will help you in this instance, but I wonder if Matterport could "sniff" browser version, webGL, etc. to pro-actively say this model will display if you ....

Any techs that can weigh-in if this would be possible?

Dan
Post 13 IP   flag post
101429 13 13
This topic is archived. Start new topic?