Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 837 Unique Visitors
9,050 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 35,106 Page Views | 19,195 Unique Visitors | 29 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
3D ShowcaseMultiple Floors

Multi-floor Misplacement240

RenderingSpace private msg quote post Address this user
Hey guys I've run into trouble for the second time with floor misplacement in processing. This home has 3 levels; Basement, Main, 2nd. However, each floor has step ups or step downs. And the main floor has somewhat of a split entry with the den and living room being a few steps below the rest of the main floor.

The den and living room got thrown into the basement and oddly, the sitting room on the 2nd floor got put into a 4th floor.

I always start from the bottom floor and mark things as I go. Has anyone else had trouble with this? It would only be noticeable now that there's a multi-floor toggle.

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=L8K6b1EhyUj
Post 1 IP   flag post
Orange, California
craigsauer private msg quote post Address this user
I had similar problems with a big 10,000 property I did recently. The problems went away after I made a minor modification and reuploaded, though, so it wasn't a big problem.

However, now that I think of it, I noticed that in the Workshop view, the property had somehow become 4 levels instead of just 3. It shows up as 3 in the 3D Showcase, but 4 in the Workshop. The 4th level in the Workshop is just a short series of scans from one of the other floors. Weird but doesn't really affect anything.

Craig
Post 2 IP   flag post
Craig that's strange because a couple weeks ago I had misplaced floors and reuploading it with only minor tweaks solved the problem. It's still a mystery to me why changing a little bit of trim would have that great of an effect.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Vizocube private msg quote post Address this user
This is just my observation... It seems your camara is placed way to high. Also for areas with just a couple of steps I would adjust the hight of the camara acordingly I am gussing that might be causing some confusion for it. I dont have a solution to your problem, but making some alterations to the scan it self and reuploading could possibly solve the issue.

Hope you can get it fixed without having to re scan the place.

cheers

Mike
Post 4 IP   flag post
Thanks for your response Mike.
I'm 6'1" and I keep the cameras sensors at about my chin. How high do you keep yours?

I've tried raising it and lowering it for the 1 or 2 steps but that's obviously not possible with the split stairs.

I think I'm just going to send it with the toggle disabled.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Vizocube private msg quote post Address this user
Id say about a half a foot maybe a foot lower. If you look at your doorways they look very low like you are almost going to bump your head going through it. to get a better view I have to look down more then i should (I feel) I had similar issues I did not like with my scans so i started setting it lower and it seems to produce dicent results.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Omaha, NE
judysmithre private msg quote post Address this user
I always keep the tripod at the same height for every scan, that way if you need to return to the property to rescan a room, you know what height it was at. So, I fully extend the legs and have the center post at the very lowest it will go. I did purchase the recommended tripod and am very happy with the quality of it.
Post 7 IP   flag post
CharlieB private msg quote post Address this user
Judy, I just wanted to mention that Tim shared with me that I would be well advised to change my tripod setup. I was doing exactly as you are but he suggested to only extend one set of the legs and raise the center support all the way.

This also puts the camera at the perfect scanning height it seems.

After thinking about it, it sure makes sense to have less reach on the legs for a number of reasons. I was having trouble getting through some doors and narrow hallways. Plus I think that you may have less chance of the legs showing in a scan.

I will be using Tim's suggestion next time out.
Post 8 IP   flag post
JohnBecker private msg quote post Address this user
Charlie, the center column is your last resort for raising the camera. Short legs and extended center column is the least stable configuration for any tripod.

The legs won't show in the scan; the software cuts out a rather sizable footprint. Yes, it can make getting through doorways a bit more awkward, but that's a very minor tradeoff in return for a much more stable base for your $4,500 investment.
Post 9 IP   flag post
dfellars private msg quote post Address this user
Here is a model that also has a number of split levels: https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=fK14dWqBepq

You'll see it also has some of the same problems.

However, it was working fine a month ago when I originally ran it.

I am going to reach out to Matterport Support and see if I can't get an answer. I bet the updated algorithms are trying to automatically delineate floors.

Dan Fellars
www.scandimensions.com
Post 10 IP   flag post
dfellars private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenderingSpace
Hey guys I've run into trouble for the second time with floor misplacement in processing. This home has 3 levels; Basement, Main, 2nd. However, each floor has step ups or step downs. And the main floor has somewhat of a split entry with the den and living room being a few steps below the rest of the main floor.

The den and living room got thrown into the basement and oddly, the sitting room on the 2nd floor got put into a 4th floor.

I always start from the bottom floor and mark things as I go. Has anyone else had trouble with this? It would only be noticeable now that there's a multi-floor toggle.

I am 5'7" and generally keep the top of the camera at eye level or just lower. Also, you are probably running too many scans on the staircases. I find on a typical stair case I can run one scan at the bottom, another a 1/3 of the way up, 2/3s of the way up and at the top landing (the top landing then becomes the first scan of the next floor.)

Dan Fellars
www.scandimensions.com
Post 11 IP   flag post
JohnBecker private msg quote post Address this user
I generally go up 4 steps at a time, unless there are alignment issues. And I keep my camera's sensors between 4.5 and 5 feet above the ground. With the higher POV, it just seems like I'm always wanting to look down.
Post 12 IP   flag post
When I navigate I never look down because I use keyboard navigation keys rather than the mouse but I can see how many people would use the mouse to navigate and wouldn't want to be looking at the ground so often. I'll try lowering my camera at least a half foot.

I highly doubt my problem is caused by doing too many scans on the stairs. Rarely are things made worse by doing too many scans. I find it best to do more than remove as necessary. If you take a look at my model, the upstairs is just the master suite with a sitting room 2 steps up.

I don't have a clue why it would interpret that as a 4th floor! Of course I could adjust the tripod to keep it consistent but then it would only be 3 feet above the ground on the high parts.

Still haven't heard back from MP.
Post 13 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Spencer @RenderingSpace

Can you upload screen grabs of the three floors in this thread? These screen grabs may be helpful to solve the mystery.

And, welcome to the Forum.

Best,

Dan
Post 14 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Spencer @RenderingSpace

For clarification, what I mean by "screen grabs of the ... floors" are the mini-maps from your iPad that show the scan numbers and trimming.

I suspect that the challenge may be trimming on one floor affecting another floor.

If you would like to test this, duplicate the model. Then, remove all trim. Then re-upload the model.

Thank you in advance for posting the mini-maps here.

Best,

Dan
Post 15 IP   flag post
101628 15 15
This topic is archived. Start new topic?