Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
CommentaryGoogle Street ViewGSVPredictions

Will Matterport Add Publish to Google Maps?2394

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Will Matterport Add Publish to Google Maps Button?

I could imagine that there are at least three reasons that we will soon see Matterport add a button in Workshop to make it easy, fast and free to Publish to Google Maps.

Based on the Holy Grail revelation of the Matterport tech by (the extraordinarily talented) @Metroplex360 in the Matterport User Group Forum – and related discussion – this is (relatively) easy for Matterport to implement.

Sell More Cameras, Processing and Hosting

A Publish to Google Maps button adds huge value to the Matterport platform and ecosystem.

Using other photography solutions, many MUG Members already publish to Google Maps. With a Publish to Google Maps button, Matterport Pros could charge more for the added-value and take less time with the content creation and post production. Plus, thousands of additional Matterport Service Providers could publish to Google Maps.

We Get Around missed out on shooting a luxury hotel, for example, because the potential client wanted to be on Google Maps. It was that important to them. Adding a Publish to Google Maps button opens new markets for the Pro community. This translates to more Matterport Pros creating more content (processing and hosting).

Views of Matterport Spaces Will Skyrocket

Matterport has recently started touting metrics. For example, 200,00 Spaces have been scanned resulting in 50 million views, according to the Matterport website as of today (10 August 2016).

Now imagine that Matterport could exponentially grow viewership simply by publishing to Google Maps with the added reach of billions of people searching Google Maps.

For example, on Monday, 1 August 2016, I used the new Google Street View app (iPhone, Android) to publish 20 360º photo spheres to Google Maps – shot with a Ricoh Theta S (prior to the July 2016 HDR firmware update) – of my hotel room in San Francisco [Search Google Maps for Hilton San Francisco Union Square and select photos] (while reporting from Inman Connect 2016 for the MUG Forum community). Today (10 August 2016), just 10 days later, these images have been viewed a combined 7,600 times. That’s nuts. Google Maps is the 800 pound gorilla in the (hotel) room. (While I only needed to shoot a few 360º photo spheres to see the room, I shot 20 to test the Google Street View beta version of automatically adding "sergeants" (navigational arrows).

Here’s why we’re seeing that kind of viewership. As reported here in the MUG Forum, at IVRPA 2016 in Quebec City, Google revealed:

When searching for businesses, consumers use mapping products 44% of the time.

✓ On average, 41% of these place searches result in an on-site visit.
✓ Listings with photos and a virtual tour are twice as likely to generate interest.
✓ 18 percent search and end-up using a mobile mapping product.
✓ Photos give us that great sense of confidence.

Now anyone can publish to Google Maps as long as you shoot where you are legally allowed and the content gets published immediately. These are two huge changes in the last 12 months. No longer do you need to be a Google Trusted Photographer to publish. No longer do you need to wait 2-3 weeks for approval of your content. And, no longer are you restricted to commercial spaces.

It’s no secret that Google wants to map the world of outdoor spaces from the Arctic to Antarctica. Now imagine Google mapping the world of all indoor spaces. And, now imagine Matterport Pros are helping Google do that while helping us help our clients.

I could imagine a time when you search Zillow and you get a Matterport Spaces 3D Tour – and floor plans – served up by Google Maps.

Syndication

Syndication of Matterport Spaces is essential to an exponential growth strategy. Google Maps is just one example of a destination to syndicate content. For example, in the travel, tourism and hospitality space – a vertical that Matterport has identified as a priority, there are hundreds of online sites to syndicate content. Think about all the different portals to book travel. Each uses photography via APIs to automate the display of photography. For 3D and VR to achieve mainstream adoption, this content needs to be syndicated too. And, a great place to begin syndication is Google Maps.

Many of the Matterport job postings indicate that syndication is coming powered by various APIs and SDKs under development.

Additional Insight

In related MUG Forum Posts like these …

Google Indoor Street View
Inputting a tour in Google Street View
Is Matterport working with Google Maps?

… Matterport Pros have been asking for Matterport integration with Google Maps almost as soon as Matterport Spaces 3D tours (formerly known as Matterport Showcase 3D tours) was first possible in July 2014. Now that Google Maps has changed the rules (in a good way) to Google Maps – and Matterport has matured – the timing is right for Matterport to enable a Publish to Google Maps button.

When they do, look for at least one more big round of investment for Matterport to continue to scale globally to meet the insatiable appetite for visual storytelling for places.

What else? Why is it important to your business – or for your clients – for Matterport to enable Publish to Google Maps at the touch of a button?

Best,

Dan

Related MUG Forum Posts
bold text

IVRPA: Google Street View Update
Google Street View Meets 1-click 360ºs
Google Business Virtual Tour and Matterport
Gear 360/Ricoh Theta S Street View Compatible
Google Business virtual tour and Matterport
Post 1 IP   flag post
DouglasMeyers private msg quote post Address this user
How long has Matterport been in business ?
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@DouglasMeyers

Why do you ask?

Matterport was founded on 1 October 2010, according to Crunchbase.

Matterport Spaces 3D - formerly know as Matterport Showcases was announced in July 2014.

Dan
Post 3 IP   flag post
TrustedPhotoDC private msg quote post Address this user
@dansmigrod asked me if I would comment. Quick and sweet

1. 3d takes too long to load. Flat is fast, which is why you will not see 3d or photogrammetry in Google Maps anytime soon. Google by their own words, is a mobile centric company. Google is testing building 3D from photogrammetry, but haven't said where it will used. Some tours do load like they contain 3D walls and used photogrammetry to create. You need to use screen capture to record the tour load on a desktop, then pull out a frame to see this clearly. Works only with WebGL. So mobile first and you know how long it takes a Matterport Space to load on a mobile with LTE.

You may actually see 3D tours in maps first from Apple or Uber before Google. MP already has a relationship with Apple with PrimeSense. And Uber is buying mapping companies + acquired Bing's imaging assets(you know that YP did mobile photo stitched tours for them).

2. While Google now has allowed the Theta S to lead from the bottom with a 14MP camera, it's limited by the sensor. The Matterport camera comes in at about 5MP, so you are not meeting the minimum for Google. The images out of the Matterport camera create a equirectangular projection of this size:

Size = 3216 x 1608 = 5171328 pixels
Megapixels = 5.17 Megapixels

The MP is limited by the color sensor used in the PrimeSense Sensor it is only 640 x 480.

3. When you show a business the low quality pictures that people have posted to their business listing, some just freak out. Does Hilton who spends hundreds of million per year on visual content, want overexposed views(sorry Dan) of their hotel rooms shown to the public in their business listing?

There is growing concern by businesses about this, i.e. anyone can add a photo to their business and Google's algorithm can add images as well. Getting bad images or incorrect images removed, is getting more frequent in the work we do. Big business is speaking directly to Google, as they do not want non-solicited images.

4. The Street View app is currently a joke and not ready for production work. Google will add a desktop uploader in the future. Anyone Trusted before July 24th, is still using the Google Moderator to build tours.

FYI the count you see from Google is just based on the number of times the images have been browsed in the business listing. It doesn't mean that they were clicked on and viewed.
Post 4 IP   flag post
GarySnyder private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod

As a former Google Trusted Photographer I would love to see Google accept our MP models. But in reality I can't see this ever happening as Google has strict policies in regards to privacy, this covers blurring faces, licenses plates and any identifiable information that exist within a Business View shoot. This is something that we as MP shooters can not do nor will we ever be able to do.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but this has always been a weak point with MP in regards to catching people in the shot. I have lost several jobs in public places as there was a concern about having public releases of every individual in the shot which was out of the questions in a public place. And the bigger question was those individuals that don't want their photos to be displayed in public.
Post 5 IP   flag post
@garySnyder

"Google has strict policies in regards to privacy, this covers blurring faces, licenses plates and any identifiable information that exist within a Business View shoot."

Business View and most rules retired in September 2015. Any remaining rules retired on July 24th, 2016. Google doesn't care, they just want content. If there is a request about privacy, then the image, may be removed.
Post 6 IP   flag post
GarySnyder private msg quote post Address this user
@TrustedPhotoDC

WOW, that's amazing as they were always so strict when I was shooting for them, even something like a certificate on a wall needed to be blurred. How times have changed all in the matter of making a buck.

Thanks for the new insight TrustedPhotoDC
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by @TrustedPhotoDC

1. 3d takes too long to load. Flat is fast, which is why you will not see 3d or photogrammetry in Google Maps anytime soon. Google by their own words, is a mobile centric company. Google is testing building 3D from photogrammetry, but haven't said where it will used. Some tours do load like they contain 3D walls and used photogrammetry to create. You need to use screen capture to record the tour load on a desktop, then pull out a frame to see this clearly. Works only with WebGL. So mobile first and you know how long it takes a Matterport Space to load on a mobile with LTE.

For clarification, I imagine - based on seeing a not-so-private Matterport API that it is possible to export cubes from every Matterport scan. That means it is possible to convert every Matterport scan to an equi-rectangular .jpg. So, now imagine that all or some of the scans are automatically uploaded to Google Maps at the touch of a button. Then, Google has everything it needs - in the format that it wants.

Best,

Dan
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:

You may actually see 3D tours in maps first from Apple or Uber before Google. MP already has a relationship with Apple with PrimeSense. And Uber is buying mapping companies + acquired Bing's imaging assets(you know that YP did mobile photo stitched tours for them).

I doubt that Matterport has a relationship with Apple other than visiting the Apple store like the rest of us. About the time that Apple bought PrimeSense, Matterport raised $2.8 million (shortly after it raised $5.6 million)? Why raise more money so quickly? I could imagine Matterport used that money to buy a warehouse full of PrimeSense sensors knowing that they built a company dependent on a PrimeSense depth sensor IR sensor that was critical to its survival. It's likely been looking for a new and improved sensor to use in a next generation Camera (that will either be announced or just be another iteration – MC200, MC300, MC400 – of the Camera).

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Tosolini
Just sharing some thoughts based on personal observations. The MP camera is built on PrimeSense depth sensors. PrimeSense has been acquired by Apple and I'm not sure how long they will keep selling their sensors to OEMs. In fact, you can't buy them anymore as a consumer.

This puts MP in a tricky situation. If they run out of sensors, they need to find an alternative, and there are a few out there (https://stimulant.com/depth-sensor-shootout-2/). Building hardware is expensive, risky and takes time. So if you do it, you want it to last for a few years, which means that using smaller and higher res sensors is the way to go.

MP already proved that their software can support Project Tango + Intel RealSense sensors (https://matterport.com/matterport-and-google-atap-project-tango/) which positions MP as potentially an hardware independent service provider. However, RealSense hasn't caught up fast enough with OEMs, and these delays are exposing MP to potential competitors, like the Iris VR that was briefly introduced a few months back (thanks @garysnyder for spotting it - https://www.wegetaroundnetwork.com/topic/1940/disruptive-technology/).

So, here is the dilemma for MP. Do you update the camera with new and better sensors (which you need to do if PrimeSense stops supplying OEMs), or you wait for the market to be flooded with Project Tango devices and make money with subscriptions?

Not an easy choice when you have investors knocking at your door and hungry competitors pre-announcing alternatives. I personally think MP has still enough time advantage over anybody else, so they will be fine for the time being, which means, we may not see new hardware until there is a strong business reason for doing it.
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:

2. While Google now has allowed the Theta S to lead from the bottom with a 14MP camera, it's limited by the sensor. The Matterport camera comes in at about 5MP, so you are not meeting the minimum for Google. The images out of the Matterport camera create a equirectangular projection of this size:

Size = 3216 x 1608 = 5171328 pixels
Megapixels = 5.17 Megapixels

The MP is limited by the color sensor used in the PrimeSense Sensor it is only 640 x 480.

Great point about the quality. And, I love that you do the math for us. Since I imagine that Matterport WILL create a Publish to Matterport button, one of three conclusions based on your quality observation:

1. New Matterport Camera with new higher-quality sensor (that might explain the $600 off Camera sale: typical of blowing out inventory in prep for a next generation device.
2. Updated Matterport Camera with new higher-quality sensor with no announcement, EXCEPT only serial numbers with "X" can publish to Google Maps
3. Google Maps accepts lower quality images
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:

4. The Street View app is currently a joke and not ready for production work. Google will add a desktop uploader in the future. Anyone Trusted before July 24th, is still using the Google Moderator to build tours.

I like the Google Street View app. The world is going mobile. The ability to easily and quickly deliver a Google Maps solution to a client before leaving the property is appealing to me.

Once I did a July 16 firmware upgrade, I was impressed with the new HDR feature of the Ricoh Theta S. Unfortunately, I did the upgrade after I published to Google Maps. This 360º with me looking out my hotel room was shot with the new HDR feature. I thought it did a great job. Plus, Ricoh's release cycle for its 4th generation Theta will likely be November 2016. I would expect a better sensor that will give DSLR 360º photo sphere shooters a run for the money.

Best,

Dan
Post 11 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:

Business View and most rules retired in September 2015. Any remaining rules retired on July 24th, 2016. Google doesn't care, they just want content. If there is a request about privacy, then the image, may be removed.

Yes. This changes everything:

1. Inside homes is okay (not previously)
2. Instant publishing (use to take 2-3 weeks for approval)
3. Publish first: take down later, if contested
4. 360º 1-click cameras are okay (DSLRs previously required)

This bias to publish any/all helps explain why Matterport Pros will likely be able to publish to Google Maps.

Dan
Post 12 IP   flag post
Actually you could publish homes tours with Google Views. Views was shut down over a year ago to allow for the new platform to be built.

Publishing was instant if you were rated Gold or Green in the internal system. Occasional QC would flag a tour to be looked at.

Google has allowed pre-stitching to anyone for a while now, but approval to use was needed at one time and it wasn't available when the program started in 2010.

It would be incorrect to say a DSLR is required when any camera that could capture the required resolution could be used, if submitting a pre-stitched image.

One of the biggest bottlenecks and something you are missing is that the Google SV moderator still stitches panos. When the queue get too big, the system slows to a crawl and either needs to be cleared out or causes latency in the moderator. But this system will stay for professionals until the new uploaded is completed as working with an app to build quality tours is not an option for working professionals. It should be noted anyone "Trusted" after July 24th, does not have access to this tool.

Any manufacture can add the metadata that is needed to publish to Google Map. Its right here: https://developers.google.com/streetview/open-spherical-camera/
Post 13 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
The exported image has 1024x1024 cube faces... 6 faces ... total is 6 Megapixels... while the difference between 5 and 6 megapixels is negligable when compared to the Theta ... I just wanted to throw that out there.

I think that Matterport could easily do publish to Google Maps; but I'm not sure that the quality would speak well of the product.

I was hoping to automate metadata creation with MatterXport and develop a MP2StreetView. I've made no headway with this for a few reasons:

#1) There's no GPS data saved. Not a biggie if a user can provide the coordinates.

#2) I surmised that the data that IS saved are offsets in Meters (yes, meters). I believe that they are all relative to the first scan.

#3) I didn't want to invest the time figuring out how to crop the image and then setup conversion using panotools for Linux (I assume this would be the right method) to convert to Google's format.

I think that anyone truly motivated could do this. Perhaps GarySnyder, or Ross Peterson -could- get this accomplished as I believe that like myself, they understand how to work with the resources that Matterport has in their yet-to-be-documented API.

Question is ... is it a viable product? Would Matterport issue a cease and desist?

And and #4) I bought a Ricoh Theta S if I need Street View. Because, yeah, the quality is better.
Post 14 IP   flag post
mori private msg quote post Address this user
Hi all,
here a post to the topic of 3D at google: Is Google planning on using Photogrammetry or LIDAR to enhance Maps/Streetview?

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/maps/kL1qTKh2U68
Post 15 IP   flag post
mori private msg quote post Address this user
I am also sure, that it could be done already with the full panos available within the MP viewer and a modification of the meta tags to e.g. theta s.

But this might be a violation against the matterport legal restrictions.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
@mori. I agree with you... Although it might just be easier and better to use the ricoh theta
Post 17 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@mori @Metroplex360 @TrustedPhotoDC

My best guess is that Matterport will use the 6-sided cube export to create an equi-rectangular .jpg and then import into Google Street View.

This path seems easy and fast to implement. Yes. I understand we're all debating the quality. I suspect that it will be "good enough" for Google.

I could also imagine that a next generation Camera that solves the quality issue is "coming soon".

If Matterport follows previous new Camera releases, it will simply put a new series serial numbers on them.

The above is just me speculating.

Best,

Dan
Post 18 IP   flag post
Bcome private msg quote post Address this user
Hi all,
These photos were taken using the Matterport camera :

StreetView : https://goo.gl/maps/r8Vqx5ZFfCk
Matterport viewer : https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=GKW4hp5Qzdu
Post 19 IP   flag post
rwpriest private msg quote post Address this user
@Bcome

How did you upload the photos to Google Streetview?
Post 20 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@rwpriest

Here are two different solutions for Matterport Spaces to Google Street View:

MP2SV
Howner's MP2GSV

Best,

Dan
Post 21 IP   flag post
101433 21 21
This topic is archived. Start new topic?