Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 488 Unique Visitors
9,049 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 33,567 Page Views | 18,421 Unique Visitors | 30 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum

Ricoh Theta S HDR is Amazing! Firmware 1.622323

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Wow!

The Ricoh Theta S HDR is amazing! (See selfie: the rest are before the firmware update.)

The same picture-window in my 30th floor, city view Hilton San Francisco Union Square hotel room that was totally washed out in my shoot on Saturday (30 July 2016) now looks amazing using the latest firmware update (1.62) with the HDR feature enabled.

It's as if I just bought a newer version of Ricoh Theta S. It's that dramatic.

Unfortunately, the Ricoh Theta S does not automatically prompt you that a newer version of the firmware is available. Update immediately. (Google "how to do Ricoh Theta S firmware update" for the easier version that the official manual.)

Then, to turn HDR on - it's not obvious - in the Shooting Menu, select Panorama (then Done). Then set the Auto option to HDR Rendering.

Once set, the Camera remembers this default setting. (Yay!)

If you do not own a Ricoh Theta S, but one. Anything you learn now will apply to future generations of this $350 camera.

On the fence?

Wait until Fall 2016 when the (likely) 4th generation Ricoh Theta S comes out. You will then have a great outdoor 360º spherical solution that does not require technical expertise (no stitching).

I will write more in a new post (later) comparing my various 360º spherical camera testing including:

✓ Ricoh Theta S
✓ Panono
✓ Giroptic
✓ Bublcam

While I have not tried the LG 360 Cam, based on MUG Forum Member reviews, I have ruled it out.

One other current 360º spherical Camera may be worth checking out. While I have not tested the Samsung Gear 360 camera, MUG Forum Members are reporting great results.

At the moment, the Ricoh Theta S is my pick for the under $1,500 category. Surprisingly, the $350 Ricoh Theta S does better than the Panono ($1,500), with:

✓ dramatically fewer stitching errors
✓ no computer required to upload to various platforms
✓ tiny footprint
✓ huge savings $$$

I am okay that the memory is not expandable. That simplifies the camera dramatically.

In the next generation Ricoh Theta S (likely Fall 2016), I (hope) to to see:

✓ longer battery
✓ sharper images
✓ more storage (for video)
✓ improvements in still and video image quality
✓ much, much better post production solutions (editing)
✓ seamless integration to various social media platforms
✓ simple instruction manual (how to video demos)
✓ easier and obvious self-timer (without pairing to a smartphone)
✓ remote trigger (blue-tooth)

My "wish list" should not stop you from buying the 3rd generation of the Ricoh Theta S today.

If you have tried one or more 360º spherical point and shoot cameras, what's been your experience?

Best,

Dan
Post 1 IP   flag post
HarlanHambright private msg quote post Address this user
Your glasses frames took on the hue of the sky. Weird. Thanks for the firmware update.
Post 2 IP   flag post
smcclell private msg quote post Address this user
Looks good!

Hanging on when the sphericam v2 comes out but is taking ages.. anyone have news that has ordered?

Would you know what camera is used for this google view? dslr and stitching maybe?

https://www.google.com/maps/streetview/trusted/
Post 3 IP   flag post
BrettMtn private msg quote post Address this user
@dansmigrod Are you able to do any post production with the 360 image? Can you bring it into lightroom or photoshop?
Post 4 IP   flag post
UserName private msg quote post Address this user
Good reviews. The Ricoh also seemed to show a less washed out view of the city outside the window. It seems like the two cameras weren't in the same place when you filmed. Maybe that's why the painting and textures on the walls seem sharper in the Panono shot. Perhaps that's because the Panono was closer to the painting and the wall it's on.

Thanks for the plane ride. I used my Gear VR's Web browser to watch some of it as a 360 video on YouTube.
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@BrettMtn

While I can edit the images in post, I wanted to share "right out of the camera set on Auto"... Keep in mind the Ricoh images are just 2 meg, so just a light amount of editing.

@UserName

Reminder that I made a mistake by not updating the firmware to do the album of 360º photo spheres. Once I updated the firmware the HDR was amazing with the Ricoh Theta S.

For Panono, I made the mistake of NOT setting it to HDR. Not sure how I missed that one! Ugh!

Dan
Post 6 IP   flag post
Hopscotch private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks. Wasn't set to HDR (good fix). Also tried shooting with intervals...lots of potential there since it can be set to any time parameter! It's in the shooting menu, just up from self-timer.
Post 7 IP   flag post
101600 7 7
This topic is archived. Start new topic?