Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 723 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,655 Page Views | 18,601 Unique Visitors | 39 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AdviceCapture AppScanningScans

Matterport Scanning Tips: Mirrors2162

BayAreaAdam private msg quote post Address this user
Here's my (hopefully helpful) tip, especially for newbies:

I've done about 70 models so far and besides sunlight, the thing that gives me most trouble is: Mirrors! If you catch one when you're not expecting it, it can wreak havoc on your capture and you'll spend a lot of time trimming and erasing scans...

When I started doing this, I would just begin at the beginning (wherever I determined that to be) and move throughout the space "in order"...

Now, as I move through the space, I do a quick little visual of what's coming up and if there are mirrors (especially large ones) in rooms to contend with, I try to "go around" them. By this I mean, I may go further down a hallway and scan a room farther away so that I capture the wall the mirror is on from the other side. Then, I can mark the mirror on the opposite side and enter the room I skipped. I find this gives me much neater captures and actually allows me to move more quickly through the space.

Hope this helps a bit!
Post 1 IP   flag post
3Dwalkmethru private msg quote post Address this user
@bayareadam I had a condo shoot it was a house of mirrors literally. First thing I look for now when I do my pre shoot walk is mirrors. Had incident yesterday had a mirror at end of hallway in a bedroom so I let door half way open or half way closed lol .. and it scanned well and the mirror does not show in the shot. Got lucky with the door, but had incidents where there is a big mirror at end of hallway going to bedrooms :-(
Post 2 IP   flag post
@3Dwalkmethru I know what you mean - sometimes they can't be avoided. It really helps to stay focused as you move through and be as prepared fro them as you can.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Hilton Head Island, SC
THRHHI private msg quote post Address this user
@BayAreaAdam The other thing that i have found is that some of the big LED tvs need to be marked as mirrors. The reflection off them is sometimes like a mirror and i have had it create holes in the wall to the next room and had to go back and mark them up.
Post 4 IP   flag post
@THRHHI Good tip, thank you!
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Basic
New Brighton, PA
frstbubble private msg quote post Address this user
Wonder if you had some scenic pictures on a thumb drive and put the still picture on the screen if that would keep it from acting like a mirror.
Post 6 IP   flag post
101421 6 6
This topic is archived. Start new topic?