Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AdviceCapture AppScanningTips

The mothership has landed!2152

leeverdon private msg quote post Address this user
I think this may the be tip of the iceberg. Can it be done he asks.

A 50,000 sq.ft manufacturing warehouse that is one level, light furnishings and few obstacles in the way. I have the following:

1. Latest iPad Pro 9.7 with current iOS operating system.
2. New MC, bought 3 months ago
3. AT&T GigaPower, current upload speed is 250Mbps

I have been in touch with Matterport, see response below:

As i am sure you are aware this project would be well beyond the official size limit, ( 10,000 sq. ft, 200 scans). You also also likely aware that other folks have created model which went beyond these limits, though i cant personally think of one of this size. you could certainly give it a shot but i wouldn't be recommend it or be able to guarantee it will be successful.

The first challenge would be in the capture phase, with a newer high memory ipad (air 2, pro), closer than normal spacing, ( especially if lightly furnished), and close attention to capture to catch any misalignment, this part of the process is doable.

The second challenge could likely be the show stopper, uploading and processing a model in excess of 400 scan quite likely will not work.

Viewing could also be an issue as the larger the model the more demands are placed on the viewing device, and in this case you could expect older or lower powered devices to be unable to display the model.

All of these issues could be addressed by splitting up the space into multiple smaller models of 10,000 sq. ft. / 200 scan points.

Thoughts anyone?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Orange, California
craigsauer private msg quote post Address this user
Think about doing 200 or so scans, then copying the model and continuing from there for the next 200 scans, copying the model and continuing from there, etc.

You could do this after the fact by copying the model and then deleting scans, but doing it as you go might help protect against potential problems with the Capture App crashing when you get to a really high number of scans.

Craig
Post 2 IP   flag post
JonJ private msg quote post Address this user
I like your thread title! It got my attention. Unfortunately, I do not have experience capturing properties this size but I am looking forward to seeing everyones response.
Post 3 IP   flag post
LookingGlass private msg quote post Address this user
It sure can, here is a 36k sqft 3-story historic train station we did with 240 scans.

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=S6J44G38TFt

John
Post 4 IP   flag post
Dolloff private msg quote post Address this user
We also did a 30,000 sq. Ft. Space, just over 200 scans. We mapped out steps well and used each scan sparingly. I would go early, really map out your steps and judge if you need to break it into one or two tours. Be aware of white walls with long white hallways, they can be very troublesome as the camera gets lost. We had to add props. Good luck!
Post 5 IP   flag post
Cleveland, OH
CLE3D private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks for the suggestions here! I'm currently quoting a verrryyy large property and trying to figure out how to break it up, which cameras to use where and how to display the finished product in a way that's logical and allow users to be able to find themselves around the entire property easily. Looking forward to the challenge and it's great to check out people's examples of some other somewhat large properties.
Post 6 IP   flag post
JC3DCX private msg quote post Address this user
Good luck, can't wait to see the final product.

Quite an attention grabbing heading :-)
Post 7 IP   flag post
Here are some photos of the warehouse.
Post 8 IP   flag post

Post 9 IP   flag post
mori private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Leeverdon,
if you wish I can talk to our partner NavVis if they have already a service-partner or any options for a scanning in US.

If this is interesting for you depends a little on your clients needs and expectations. Currently the walk through-experience is not that good as Matterports, also there´s no mapped 3D-view. But there are many other features Matterport can´t provide.

Have a look at www.NavVis.com for the base informations and write me a message if you are interested in getting introduced.

all the best,
Marcus
Post 10 IP   flag post
franmts private msg quote post Address this user
Here is my experience with a property of 73.200 square feet, 4 floors and a huge warehouse. Haven't seen anything bigger than this so far in the forums (if someone knows, please post here as well):

http://iteleport.com.br/tour3d/galicia-imoveis-diadema-cod-33243/

It wasn't easy at all, and quality is quite difficult to ensure on the 3D model. We took 2 days, summing up to 23 hours of scanning with and iPad Air 2, had to do it over night (too much sun light during day) and we also needed to strategically position about 50 custom big cardboard boxes so the camera could locate itself. I'm pretty sure the client had to pay a big bill to have all those industrial lights on for so many hours.

The work has to be very well paid to be worth the pain.

Good luck.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Hi franmts,

I think you did a great job which is very encouraging and I'm fairly confident I can do this project now. I have the latest iPad Pro 9.7 which should help.

How many scans in total did you do? Also, I noticed that some of the scans positions were shorter than others. Any particular reason why do did this?

This job is likely to be done during the night which is no deal of me.

Thanks for your response.
Post 12 IP   flag post
ewr private msg quote post Address this user
Does matterport let you upload more than 200 scans? I haven't looked recently (and unfortunately don't have the iPad handy to look at one of my properties with more than 200 scans) but I thought when I checked previously the "Upload" button was greyed out if you had more than 200 scans. When tackling a large area, I usually scan as much as I need to in order to cover a space, and then duplicate the model, and then delete scans from the duplicate to get it down to 200, then upload that smaller "duplicated" model.
Post 13 IP   flag post
franmts private msg quote post Address this user
@leeverdon This model has 443 scans in workshop.

The new iPad should save you some time, 10-20%. But the main problem is the distance between walls.. it was huge 35-40 meters with no obstacles in the way.. so it was very difficult to find a good configuration for the boxes and had to go up and down with the camera uncountable times. Happened many misaligned points as well that if I didn't pay attention would create several errors in the model. Walls are very misaligned as well if you take floor plan view. The distance in between scans were difficult to get right, since the camera got lost very frequently. The X configuration helped to create unique dispositions of the 3D space to scan, but wasn't easy, so had to go forward a few meters and when there was a problem I'd come back 1 meter or 2 closer to the last scan position, so then could go forward again.

I really don't recommend taking this job if your client is very picky with the quality of end result. Mine wasn't, found it amazing in fact, LOL
Post 14 IP   flag post
101436 14 14
This topic is archived. Start new topic?