Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 692 Unique Visitors
9,052 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,455 Page Views | 19,142 Unique Visitors | 25 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
3rd Party Service ProviderFAQimmoviewer

Why Other Cameras, Platforms & Related Tech?2095

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All,

As you may know, as the Founder of the now nearly two-year old Matterport User Group Forum, I curate the MUG Forum. It's a labor of ...

So, you might ask, why I encourage Members to post about other cameras, Platforms, 3rd party solutions providers and related technologies?

Shouldn't all posts be limited to just the Matterport platform?

For example, the MUG Forum community posts about:

Other Platforms

Toursler
iGuide
VirtualWalkThrough.com
InsideMaps (more)
Immoviewer

Other Cameras

Ricoh Theta S (workflow) (marketing) (outdoors)
Samsung Gear 360
Giroptic (a review)
LG 360 cam
NCTech iris360
Bublcam
✓ Panorama Stitching Software
✓ Lidar

3rd Party Solutions Providers

✓ Single Property Website and CMS by WP3D Models
✓ Single Property Websites by KoaWare
✓ FLY-IN 3D Videos by Inspirational Views
✓ Schematic floor plans by Blue-Sketch
✓ Explainer Videos by Animamos
✓ "iPad videos" from Matterport Spaces by Real 3D Estates

For Matterport Pros - you are pioneers. You discovered and embraced Matterport early-on. So, not surprisingly, you want to know is there something better than the Matterport Camera and Platform. While it's unlikely that you will replace Matterport, you may want to supplement it with other cameras, platforms and third-party solutions providers

For Potential Matterport Pros - many potential Matterport Pros research their potential Matterport Camera purchase (and related gear and accessories) using the MUG Forum. (I know this because many of you are kind enough to PM me – or post to the MUG Forum about how helpful the community was/is to making decisions.)

For Matterport – we're a vocal bunch that has crowd-sourced many "Wish Lists" to help make the Matterport platform better (and we have shared these lists with Matterport). I could imagine that many Matterport employees read the Matterport User Group Forum - even if they do not post. Discussing what we like - and do not like - about Matterport and other platforms, cameras and 3rd party solutions challenges Matterport to create a better platform (and faster).

BTW, MUG Forum "Wish Lists"

Matterport Capture App Wish List
Matterport Cloud Processing Wish List
Matterport Cloud Hosting Wish List
Matterport Sharing Options Wish List
Matterport Pro 3D Camera Wish List
Matterport Spaces 3D Tour Wish List
Matterport 3D Workshop Wish List
Matterport 3D Studio Wish List
Matterport API and Software Development Kit Wish List
And more (17,000 posts among 3,100 topics)

(I have held off starting new "Wish Lists" because most of the items on these lists still have not been done, including a easy, fast and easy backup solution for models on our iPads.) (Why You Do Not Want to Delete 3D Models)

What do you think?

Do you like the ways I curate the MUG Forum?

Should the Matterport User Group Forum only be about the Matterport camera, processing, hosting and Matterport tools such as Capture and Showcase apps and Workshop?

Are all the non-Matterport posts a distraction?

Best,

Dan
Post 1 IP   flag post
HarlanHambright private msg quote post Address this user
you're doing a fine job. of course we need to be apprised of emerging technologies and products. add restaurant reviews and a favorite recipe section.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Noel private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod you are doing a great job. and yes it is great to know other emerging technologies. But having a 3d walk through video with the operator in the shot all the time is not always good. Hence why I like MP. I take the image and I am not in it.
Post 3 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
Dan
I give you a hard time most of the time, even though you use Canon, but I appreciate all the information for Matterport and the work you put in to it. But I really enjoy reading about the new emerging technology. It is a great outlet to find info on Matterport and I am glad to see other ideas and get helpful info from others and other technology. Keep up the good work.

Ron
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@HarlanHambright @Noel @ron0987 Thanks. We'll consider restaurant reviews too

Others?

Your thoughts? Should the Matterport User Group Forum include other Cameras? Platforms? And related technologies?

Or, should we focus exclusively on only Matterport?

Thanks,

Dan
Post 5 IP   flag post
@Dan
Are we getting philosophical,

This is always a hard question to answer, from my previous job I had to test and evaluate equipment to figure out what was best. So as a forum, do you focus on one item and get the most out of it, from input as a whole, or do you focus on what is the best product to accomplish the goal which is have the best product to do the job. Like I said I always look at the best tool that will accomplish the job, always looking at new technology. But when I evaluate the equipment I also look at support. I have heard a lot of good input about Matterport changing lately, but that has just been a recent change. Is that because we constantly evaluate other solutions????????? Just my two cents.

Ron
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@ron0987

If it was an easy question to answer, I would not ask it.

How about the $1 answer?

Should the Matterport User Group Forum focus exclusively on the Matterport platform or also include visual storytelling solutions in the Matterport space?

It's not a hypothetical ...

Today (6 August 2016), I have been posting my 360º video interviews with other solutions exhibiting at Inman Connect 2016 in San Francisco, including:

Planitar/iGuide
ImmoViewer
InsideMaps

I also interviewed a representative of:

Matterport

And, third-party solution providers:

KoaWare
Wowpads
Studeo

Are these MUG Forum posts too far a drift from the Matterport platform or do MUG Members - or those researching Matterport to either buy ((13 percent of our audience) their first Matterport Camera or more Cameras - want to reach about other solutions?

Best,

Dan
Post 7 IP   flag post
Seeing these new solutions just makes Matterport look better and better!
Post 8 IP   flag post
ThreeDImaging private msg quote post Address this user
Dan what's your take on the insidemaps in comparison to matterport?
Post 9 IP   flag post
I'll jump in here. When I was doing qtvr panos back in the early 90s I thought it would be great to hyperlink panos from space to space creating a virtual experience of a structure. Then someone came up with hotspots which allowed you to do that. All, I repeat, all of these newfangled 360 solutions are but variations of that moldy technology, and none of them hold a candle to the truly immersive, experiential product matterport creates. Is price a factor? $4500 is a small price for what this system generates. Now if recent splotch and tilt issues could be addressed.......
Post 10 IP   flag post
mori private msg quote post Address this user
Another great tech is 3D without 3D scanning.
One of the best companies I know is from germany: realities.io

This is german, but check the videos and try Google Translate:
https://setting.io/blog/2016/08/19/die-welt-vr-setting-zu-besuch-bei-realities
Post 11 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Another platform in our space ...

Post 12 IP   flag post
zan5hin private msg quote post Address this user
Hi, first I would like to thank Dan for this forum. I am not a current Matterport user but I am a Google Trusted Photographer with 400 shoots under my belt, doing retail and commercial spaces.

I watched the videos from the Inman Connect conference that Dan shot, and am interested in the Planitar solution however it is not available outside of North America.

I really want to get into the real estate market and I see floorplans are the main differentiator between what I do now and where the industry is heading.

Insidemaps - for the price it is a no brainer to try out, I am an Android user but my uncle (who is 60 years old unemployed, but just bought a new iPhone 7) would be a good candidate for this device, I can train him up, get the sales and send him out to do shoots. I sent them an email regarding iphone 7.

Real.vision which was the latest video, has a really cool website but beyond that, their pricing is ridiculous. I am speaking as a Google Trusted Photographer who has all the equipment necessary - Canon 7D, Nodal R10, 8mm Sigma, wireless trigger. Essentially everything they offer, I can do myself (and they actually state on their site that YOU have to do most of the work) then just use the WalkInto platform, which will be even beter, except for the generated floorplans. And it is 1/3rd of the price.  It's just not customised for property. The real.vision floorplans are really, really basic, I can't expect clients to pay for that compared to my competition who can offer coloured 2D or even 3D renders for a decent price.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
@zan5hin Why not contact Planitar and ask them if they would sell outside of North America?

Planitar is the best alternative to Matterport that exists. It's laser scanning technology produces excellent 2D Floorplans and it includes an app that works similarly to Matterport Capture.

My money is on Planitar to overtake Matterport. Unlike Matterport, they are much more customer service oriented and are building solutions based on customer feedback.
Post 14 IP   flag post
The Planitar IMS-5 system seems to be another good platform and great system I would consider over Matterport. I saw the IMS-4 and was not as impressed as the IMS-5. At least thru the videos. I also agree if the customer support is there. I have not seen Insidemaps since it is now compatible with the IPhone 7. I would like to see how it looks, I think also an option. Just my two cents.

Ron
Post 15 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
A Member of the form sent me this link ... (announced yesterday, 15 November 2016)

Autodesk's new 360º laster scanner; point-cloud creator ...
http://blk360.autodesk.com/

Best,

Dan
Post 16 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Please see this related thread about 20 3D/VR Cameras/Platforms in the Matterport Space:

Index: Comparing 3D/VR Platforms for Scanning

Thanks,

Dan
Post 17 IP   flag post
Hi All,
will be very happy to provide some more details about the BLK360 as they are at BAU 2017 munich and I will have a visit today or tomorrow at their booth.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Here some pix from BAU 2017.
https://goo.gl/photos/FRm1Gvpqz1m3mjee6

Hope I will get soon a personal showcase of the BLK360 and scan data to test.

I also was at Pointcab booth and their CEO told me, that the Matterport Pointcloud Data is quite good and accurate. Will also check this out with a trial of their software.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Tosolini
Productions
Bellevue, Washington
Tosolini private msg quote post Address this user
Another 360 tour platform + photo service: http://www.tourmake.it/en/
Post 20 IP   flag post
Not a platform, but interesting project from vienna: https://www.ims.tuwien.ac.at/projects/immersivepointclouds
Post 21 IP   flag post
101646 21 21
This topic is archived. Start new topic?