Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 823 Unique Visitors
9,049 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,558 Page Views | 18,831 Unique Visitors | 30 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum

Microsoft Conference Center: 400 scans2066

Tosolini
Productions
Bellevue, Washington
Tosolini private msg quote post Address this user
Last week I scanned the Microsoft Conference Center at their Redmond, WA headquarters. While I can't post the actual model, I'd like to share some learnings from this project.

- The scan took me 10h straight. I was able to complete the entire floor with one MP charge
- I brought with me an extra power bank to keep the iPad and my iPhone (which I use with the Surface Level app) constantly charged
- I reached 400 scans and the Capture app didn't have issues handling such volume on my iPad Air 2 64GB
- I walked the equivalent of 8+ km (good exercise) and listened to a lot of podcasts (good self education)
- The most challenging areas were the big rooms and auditoriums where there wasn't enough difference between scan points. I embraced the chaos technique (scanning in various locations without a perfect pattern) as the app was failing to connect scans
- I had a 10% failed scans due to not enough overlap
- The auditorium was particularly dark by the podium, so in lack of a better tool, I used the flash light on my iPhone to illuminate some closeby objects as they were scanned. The MP HDR did a good job overall

Post 1 IP   flag post
aerialpixels private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks for the sharing.

How many square feet was the entire area?

BTW, I think matterport is fairly robust about not having level straight scans (if that was what you were using the surface level app for)

I have tried scans with visible to naked eye, non level placement of tripod, and it still stitches.
Post 2 IP   flag post
HarlanHambright private msg quote post Address this user
i have a conference center coming up, just slightly smaller than this, thanks. i get crazy off-kilter scans a lot, mostly in bathrooms. i level every time.
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@Tosolini

You rock. TY for sharing.

What did you learn from the podcasts? 😎

Dan
Post 4 IP   flag post
Tosolini
Productions
Bellevue, Washington
Tosolini private msg quote post Address this user
@aerialpixels I don't have the space square feet info, I just know it's very big. We also scanned the back alleys for personnel training purposes.

I agree that the camera is very forgiving about leveling. It seems that the software figures out how to align scans even if they are not perfectly leveled.
Post 5 IP   flag post
101604 5 5
This topic is archived. Start new topic?