Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 692 Unique Visitors
9,052 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,455 Page Views | 19,142 Unique Visitors | 25 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum

Commercial Drone Rules Change2041

tommy_1800 private msg quote post Address this user
Just FYI, the commercial drone rules officially changed today and will be in effect in late August. Get working on obtaining the new certificate! See the link below!

https://www.faa.gov/news/press_releases/news_story.cfm?newsId=20515

I realize this is not directly related to matterport, but that we tech people tend to have multiple interests.
Post 1 IP   flag post
kenangiguere private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks for posting. We've actually been following this topic.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Hartland, Wisconsin
htimsabbub23 private msg quote post Address this user
I was reading the guidelines and everything seems pretty straight forward. If anyone see's where you can sign up for the class please post the link. This is something that would be great to get ahead of the curve.
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@tommy_1800

Thank you for posting. Many MUG Forum Members are either drone photographers too or thinking about getting started...

Even those hat are not drone photographers will find this major change of the rules of interest.

Dan
Post 4 IP   flag post
alx3D private msg quote post Address this user
Does anyone know how this will affect 333 exemptions? Ours is pending now
Post 5 IP   flag post
Rootsyloops private msg quote post Address this user
Hi alx3d,

I was one of the first people to receive a 333 exemption and have been following this from the outset. Essentially, you're 333 will allow you to take an online course if you're a part 61 pilot already (assuming you are current). Everyone else will have to take an actual test issued by an approved FAA testing facility.

My interpretation is that EVERYONE that wants to fly commercially will be issued a temporary certificate as of the official August implementation date, until the online class and test can be created. That seems odd to me, but it also seems to be what they are attempting to communicate in the announcement today.

I think the biggest thing that will benefit UAS pilots is I don't see the inclusion of the previous rule that we must stay 500 feet from any person, property, vehicle, etc. That will be a game changer (though if you look at virtually any real estate photo taken from a UAS, you will see it was in obvious violation of this rule). It will be nice to have that stressor removed.

Also, no longer needing to file a NOTAM and do the monthly report will be great. Those are really a pain and actually take me almost as long as the actual shoot.

Best of luck!
Post 6 IP   flag post
alx3D private msg quote post Address this user
@Rootsyloop

You're awesome! Thanks for the detailed feedback. Very helpful.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Santa Barbara
Lizzg private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you for the info, I am waiting on my 333, guess that was an investment I didn't need to make! Anyway, it sounds promising!
Post 8 IP   flag post
I actually think it's a good thing. While I will lose my edge of being the only local guy that can shoot commercially, I look forward to the looser rules. I was always stressed that I was violating some reg.

FYI, the DJI Phantom 4 is a great performer for the money. I also had a Typhoon H, which I was quite excited about, but it malfunctioned and I was out $1400! It was extremely finicky compared to the DJI series aircraft - definitely not as refined.

I have some tips for shooting photos and videos that will hopefully save you a ton of time:

Photos - get a set of ND filters (I like Polar). Glare is a problem with the stock lens, and will really improve your results. I shoot in The Florida Keys, so sun might be more of an issue for me than others. Also a good idea to shoot in d-log, and use custom settings with contrast and saturation reduced a bit (and shoot in raw). Really tough post-production if you don't shoot flat, or even less than flat.

Video - also definitely important to have an nd filter to allow you to get the iso down to 100 and shoot at 30 frames per second while keeping the shutter rate at 60. Otherwise, you'll get pretty bad moire.

Feel free to shoot me any UAS questions you may have. I have been shooting for about 3 years and have made TONS of mistakes, but I think I'm getting a handle on it. I just started shooting with the Matterport (just got it yesterday), so I would love to have some value rather than just be the guy always asking for help!

Best
Post 9 IP   flag post
dorlando private msg quote post Address this user
333 never really meant much anyway, but very happy to have that era behind us. Our production company has used drones in extensive work for the last 4 years and never had any issues and never missed a job opportunity for lack of 333. It was just a front to keep those less informed from operating and slowing down the rush. Should be interesting watching all the new comers and their race to the bottom lol.
Post 10 IP   flag post
danmorell private msg quote post Address this user
Lol, too true.

They'll hit bottom soon enough with a headache wondering where all the money is from working so many hours in addition to reshooting jobs from complaints on their work.

I wonder how soon the day will come when we see an offer for drone, MP & stills for <$200. Maybe that's a bit exaggerated but who knows?
Post 11 IP   flag post
I've mentioned to a few of you in private emails that if you're thinking of getting into shooting with UAS's, a Phantom 3 advanced would be a great option to start with. They are incredibly inexpensive and about 95% as good as the P4, which is twice the money. I have both (and a bunch of others) and I still take my P3 on shoots as a backup and use it occasionally. Very easy to fly and great footage.
Post 12 IP   flag post
dorlando private msg quote post Address this user
Inspire Pro & P4. Best off the shelf drones we've owned to date. Inspire Pro replaced our previous heavy lift copters and does the same work at more than half the size and cost.

Agree with you Rootsyloops, if budget is an issue, the P3A is hard to beat.
Post 13 IP   flag post
dorlando - I've been putting off the purchase of the Inspire Pro as badly as I want it because of doing 99% of my shoots over water(I live in The Florida Keys and I end up invariably flying over the ocean). Do you find that the additional investment is worth it compared to the p4 for real estate shoots? I'm having trouble jumping from the 1k range up to the 3k range - but I am amazed by some of the shots I have seen posted using the x5 camera!
Post 14 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
How drones will change the world in the next 5 years http://flip.it/gidLZ
Post 15 IP   flag post
101646 15 15
This topic is archived. Start new topic?