Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
3Dwalkmethru private msg quote post Address this user
How many formats can a Matterport obj file be converted to and can you list them.

I am getting some architectural ineterst, but I am not experienced in file conversions and the limitations of Matterport software.

thanks
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@3Dwalkmethru

For a comprehensive list, please see this Matterport User Group Forum thread ...

Obj file need some help

I found this thread using the search box to the top left. The search is powered by Google

Dan
Post 2 IP   flag post
jscottsmith private msg quote post Address this user
That's kind of like asking how many formats a Word doc could be converted into.
Post 3 IP   flag post
@jscottsmith yes it is but I limited to architectural use if you read the thread.

Thanks @Dansmigrod still learning appreciate your patience.
Post 4 IP   flag post
GarySnyder private msg quote post Address this user
It would be interesting to get the feedback from your architects as I've shown the OBJ to several and they all felt it wasn't acquitted for their requirements.
Post 5 IP   flag post
@garysnyder will do .. I am also trying to find out if matterport files can be converted to cad ??? Do you know ..
Post 6 IP   flag post
GarySnyder private msg quote post Address this user
They can but it's something I've never done but I'm sure someone in this forum has.
Post 7 IP   flag post
jscottsmith private msg quote post Address this user
@3dwalkmethru - Right, but that still doesn't limit it much. OBJ could be converted to DWG, DXF, 3DS, SKP, MAX... But format doesn't really matter. It's all about what is in the file. The bottom line is that the source file is not terribly useful to many people - certainly not to architects. We've done a fair amount of CAD as-builts, but it is far from an automated process. It can be done with success, but it's a very hands-on task.
Post 8 IP   flag post
@jscottsmith thanks this is helpful.
Post 9 IP   flag post
RRapp private msg quote post Address this user
@3Dwalkmethrough - OBJ can indeed be converted to many other 3D formats. Dan linked to a good and broad thread on the subject.

I might add that when converting it's usually best to start with the end in mind, and work your way back from there when looking for what format to use and which tool to use for that.

For example, if you wanted to bring an OBJ file into Revit, you might look at one of the Revit add-ins for that, such as the one by TrueVis. In the case of Revit, the imported model will be imported to what Revit calls a "family" and it will only serve as reference geometry and Revit won't be able to edit the mesh directly.

This is just one option for Revit, and might not be what you or your architectural customer are looking for. If you know where you want to go with the model and what you hope to do with it then folks here may be able to draw on their experience and offer more help.
Post 10 IP   flag post
@rrapp thanks appreciate your feedback.
Post 11 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
But Like RRapp I have found converting it to a PTS file and importing into Revit works good. The problem as other have pointed out is accuracy because the conversion program is calculating the point data. It is close and depending on the accuracy needed will be the question. If someone has access to a scanner, it would be nice to see a side to side comparison to see how usable it would be. It would be a great comparison tool to show builders and architects.

Ron
Post 12 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@ron0987

Please see MUG Forum Thread:

Accuracy of Matterport Scan for Construction

Your thoughts?

Dan
Post 13 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
Ya, I know about that but I would still like to see a side by side comparison of a Matterport OBJ converted to point cloud and a Faro scanner as a item to show someone for an example.
Thanks

Ron
Post 14 IP   flag post
RRapp private msg quote post Address this user
I would presume that It would be a secondary conversion to convert a Matterport OBJ to a point cloud, and would therefore tend to lose accuracy. My understanding is that the Matterport OBJ file is generated from the original Matterport point cloud made during the initial scanning process.

So if you wanted to make a side by side comparison of the Matterport point cloud to one obtained from a Faro, Leica or any other scanner I would recommend using Matterport's XYZ point cloud.

Then you could use CloudCompare or ReCap to open and examine the two point clouds together.

I have no doubt that the Matterport point cloud would have far fewer points. However that doesn't mean Matterport would be inherently less accurate for any particular point. But it very well may be, and probably will be. To check, you would need to have some reliable real world field measurements.

As for the OBJ, I have learned from posts and users on this forum that a Matterport OBJ loses fidelity as the number of points and the coverage area increases. It seems that Matterport may be limiting the number of faces it will output to OBJ. If that's indeed the case, then the OBJ may well be inaccurate in some (or many) places.

That said, if you really want or need an OBJ that is very accurate, then you should probably use a laser scanner and convert the point cloud to a mesh as an OBJ file using Autodesk ReCap 360 Pro. This would also give you the ability to configure the level of detail you believe is needed. And if you wanted to change that LOD later you could do so using Autodesk ReMake.
Post 15 IP   flag post
101429 15 15
This topic is archived. Start new topic?