Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AirplanesTips

Learnings from scanning an old B-17 airplane1766

Tosolini
Productions
Bellevue, Washington
Tosolini private msg quote post Address this user
I had the privilege to scan an old Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress. Here is the final model.

Here are some learnings from this experience:
- Spaces were very tight. Each scan required numerous tripod adjustments, and we had to disconnect the camera from the tripod almost each time. The quick release clamp was a must
- This was a two person job: one operator controlling the iPad and the second repositioning the camera. Also escaping from the scene during scans was time consuming due to no place to hide
- You can see some parallax effect in certain locations (e.g. door frames)
- When we decided to scan the tail, we started lighting it up late. This means that only the very last scan had the tail illuminated. Ideally, we should have planned it before.
- The tail required the tripod to be fully collapsed, which made it unstable. We resorted to use the LED panel battery as 'sand bags' to stabilize the camera

Overall it was a fun experience that took almost 4 hours in total. The plane is part of a new exhibit of the Museum of Flight in Seattle.
Post 1 IP   flag post
aerialpixels private msg quote post Address this user
thanks for the learning points.

but wow! super cool scan!!!
Post 2 IP   flag post
360Verbeelding private msg quote post Address this user
Hi. fantastic job. Nothing wrong with a bit of experimenting.
lighting contitions are good. Did you use extra lights. They asked me to do the inside of a Leopart tank. Talking about tight spaces. But its going to be fun. Again great job.

Happy Scanning,
Grtz Rene.
Post 3 IP   flag post
DBurroughs private msg quote post Address this user
I envy you both so much. I'm doing a train musuem, more than enough space. Great stuff!
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@Tosolini thanks for sharing. So cool. I love the Dollhouse view.

Any plans to add Mattertags?

Dan
Post 5 IP   flag post
Tosolini
Productions
Bellevue, Washington
@dansmigrod Mattertags, I think the client will definitely want to add them at one point.

@360Verbeelding We used LED lights only in the tail, which was completely dark. The rest of the plane was illuminated inside already. Good luck with the tank!
Post 6 IP   flag post
Dreammachine private msg quote post Address this user
Hello@Tosolini,

Impressive work..
The combination of hardware,software, and your human creativity just took me on a journey that I otherwise would have never taken.

Question..
Was this an experiment or was there a client involved that paid for the scan, and if so how much?
Post 7 IP   flag post
Tosolini
Productions
Bellevue, Washington
@dreammachine This has been a combination of a series of free experiments that lead to a paid gig. I prefer not to discuss the financial details as they involve also other consulting opportunities (e.g. interactive touch displays). But you can compare the cost of this scan to a very large home that will take a similar amount of time (e.g 6000 sq and above). And given the risk of breaking the camera and the difficulty of the space, I think it represents a fair price.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Dreammachine private msg quote post Address this user
Excellent approach. I think that giving in advance of asking for an immediate sale is the way to go.
Post 9 IP   flag post
101429 9 9
This topic is archived. Start new topic?