Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 817 Unique Visitors
9,053 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,913 Page Views | 19,259 Unique Visitors | 30 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Advice

First model shot & could use a few tips1671

Bellingham360 private msg quote post Address this user
Hello,

I shot my first model today and all seemed to go alright. After uploading the scans and seeing the completed model, I am noticing quite a few mis-alignments (notice the kitchen table area)and other areas of general ugliness (notice all along the stairwell bannister) Any critiques or tips would be greatly appreciated.

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=qgK4suRixtN

Thanks, Lyle
Post 1 IP   flag post
Hartland, Wisconsin
htimsabbub23 private msg quote post Address this user
How did you level. The camera.. One thing very important is to level the camera on every move. We use small. Level set on top of the matterport to make sure every shot is level.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Well, that could very well be the problem then. I didn't adjust the leveling after every position move.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Hartland, Wisconsin
htimsabbub23 private msg quote post Address this user
I am also very new at this, but that helped me so much. We have some experts is this group that will/can give you some great advice.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Omaha, NE
judysmithre private msg quote post Address this user
Just a few things I noticed. Man hiding in the master bedroom by the doorway is a little creepy, you can see hime from the top of the stairs. I usually remove dog dishes. Also, maybe try a different time of day so the sun won't make the floor washed out.

Still it was very nice for your first time.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Yep, that creepy man is me... I'll hide better on the next one
Post 6 IP   flag post
alx3D private msg quote post Address this user
For your first scan this is great. I think @htimsabbub23 is on to something with the leveling causing misalignment on the stairs. Also maybe your top camera had a smear or water spot on it as it looks like it is showing up in a lot of scans.

In general I think you would be better served with fewer scans.

The model looks pretty clean except I do not think you marked the mirrors on the top floor.

Great first Scan!
Post 7 IP   flag post
I'll make sure to check the lens and yes, I forgot to mark the mirror in the master bath. Were do you feel that I should have used fewer scans?
Post 8 IP   flag post
HarlanHambright private msg quote post Address this user
Your leveling is nearly perfect throughout. Leveling is not the issue. The misalignments you see in the stairs is the result of the camera's 3 photo lenses having non-coincident nodal points. The only solution to this problem, which will always occur with objects close to the camera, would be some sort of geometric distortion algorithm built into the MP processor, not unlike the sometimes amazing results Photoshop's photo merge function generates.

And yes, you have way too many scans.

Great job for #1!
Post 9 IP   flag post
I'd probably scan it something like this:

Post 10 IP   flag post
Thanks @HarlanHambright I will give this one another try with fewer scans. With the number of scans captured, I was trying to make sure that there were no "black" areas in the rooms (or as few as possible."
Post 11 IP   flag post
Perfect @alx3D, I'll give your path a try!
Post 12 IP   flag post
Dont rescan, just disable the superfluous scans in workshop!
Post 13 IP   flag post
StevenHattan private msg quote post Address this user
That sure is a lot of scans. I sent you a PM if you want direct help.
Post 14 IP   flag post
I think there is more going on here than just the non-coincident nodal points that cause misalignment in a lot of banisters. I don't know what it is but Camera obstruction would be my first guess.

Post 15 IP   flag post
nope. that's nodal misalignment and MP rendering anomalies.
Post 16 IP   flag post
To the credit of MP techs, the system, like the HDR quality which I think is very good, does a pretty good job dealing with this laws of physics issue. There's got to be a solution and I think it lies in Adobe's image merge technology.
Post 17 IP   flag post
I get what you are saying and I understand that there is no way to perfectly align 18 photos that were taken from slightly different points. It typically doesn't show far away but becomes noticeable on close feature like the banister.

What I am talking about though is the "fuzzyness" that runs down the entire rail. That screen shot is from inside the model and should be pulling the actual photo data right?(18 images stitched together) from that spot and should not be a rendering.

Can you explain the fuzziness?

I have done a lot of scans (not a lot of 2 stories though) and have never seen that and am very interested in how this works.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Founder
Nail Soup Media
Sarasota, Florida
GlennTremain private msg quote post Address this user
Congrats on your first scan. Also I love how people rally around everyone here and offer insight.
Post 19 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
Just my 2 cents is HarlanHambright is right on this, the alignment is at a point Matterport support says the cameras inability to properly align the photos in the stitching process when you are looking at a point that is within 15-20 inches, which usually occurs on stairs and especially stands out with banisters or railings and the second place when you place the camera in the door jam. You can see the same alignment issue in the upstairs bathroom when you are next to the doors when looking at the door jams, but it is not as pronounced. A camera being within that 15-20 inches causes this and I believe it is a nodal point issue. Nothing you can do about this other than attempt to avoid close quarters, which is impossible on staircases and doorways. I think the model looks good and you will pick up a lot of points here and just using it. In general its better to have to many scan points and turn off what you don't want for a smooth walk thru. I like you put the model out there as you shot it for input, people would think mine would have way to main scan point if I put in my rough models not my final product because I over scan to make the alignment go smoother, but turn off a lot when producing a final product. Just my 2 cents, may that was a nickel input.

Ron
Post 20 IP   flag post
Just to clarify, I am not talking about the areas in red which are clearly stitching imperfections.

I am talking about the look of the hand reail between those points.
Post 21 IP   flag post
suncoastskyview private msg quote post Address this user
Nice job for a first. You're right, better too many scans than not enough. You can always remove some later.

Your problem with the staircase is interesting. I noticed that the direct sunlight seemed rather intense and the handrail was painted with glossy paint. I think the spectral highlights reflecting that sunlight into the camera might be your problem. Matterport cameras don't like bright sunlight.

I often try to close curtains, turn on electric lighting and turn off ceiling fans (they appear as blue blobs).

I'd try to re-shoot the staircase at a different time of day where the sunlight is less intense.

Again, great job and best of luck.

Best,

Rick Odato
Suncoast Skyview, Inc. Sarasota, FL
Post 22 IP   flag post
360Verbeelding private msg quote post Address this user
hi, just my opinion. I had the same issue shooting inside a big supermarket. Ik think this can be solved bij placing the camera just a little bit higher. To me it looks like there is not enough visible information for the camera to fill in the openspaces of the handrail. Try to make a new scan at the center of the stairs at a higher level so the cameras that look down can see the edge of the handrail.

Its sometimes trail and error.

Grtz Rene.
Post 23 IP   flag post
101635 23 23
This topic is archived. Start new topic?