Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
.OBJ.XYZAdviceBLK2FLYCADCapturingRealityDatapilot PlannerDroneDeployHow toMaps Made EasyMetashapeOutdoorsPix4DScanningSkydioTerra VistaTopographyTouch TerrainUSGSZephyr 3D

Land topographic Model??? Tools and Solutions?16052

DigitalTwin private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Folks and Happy Holidays to all!

I've had this asked of me before so I wanted to post it here to see if you technical whizzes have a solution. A Film production company needs a 3D model of a meadow that is about 10-12 acres. They want the topography to be used in some form of CAD so they can visualize and build sets on top of without altering the terrain. I have zero knowledge of surveying landscapes. Any suggestions or trades you would point me to?

Best,
Todd
Post 1 IP   flag post
immersivespaces private msg quote post Address this user
Topographical information on just about everywhere is available from the USGS. You can take this information and convert it to a 3D data. The same technology is used to make those 3D wood maps.

Presagis has a system called Terra Vista that can generate the digital twin of the ground.

You can also use Iowa State University's Touch Terrain system to generate 3D OBJ files to work from.
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN
3rd Party
Service
Beijing
JuMP private msg quote post Address this user
You should use UAV to take thousands photos of this area with overlap on each photo.
And then use Agisoft Metashape or Reality Capture from CapturingReality to process those photos.
The result will be a 3D mesh with color texture for your 10-12 acres area.

PM me if you don't want to purchase the software, we have license of Metashape and we can provide data process services if you required.
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Los Angeles
Home3D private msg quote post Address this user
I am SOooo not an expert in this. However, I have used DroneDeploy on a few occasions to generate what you’re seeking.

First you locate and graphically “fence” the area you want to model using satellite view, and set a few parameters such as the density of detail you’re seeking. You also input the drone you’ll use and DroneDeploy will tell you how many batteries you’ll need for the full grid of photos. Hint: It may underestimate this a little. Be sure the photo exposure is set to manual so all photos are exposed the same.

It’s amazing, and freaky the first time, to see your drone take off and fly back and forth in an automated pattern across the sky, capturing hundreds of photos of the designated area. Also amazing as it drains the first battery, returns to home and lands on its mark, waiting for you to install a new battery, then take off and resume where it left off.

All the photos are uploaded to DroneDeploy where processing begins. Using photogrammetry, all the images are combined to create a 3D model of the terrain. This can be exported to other 3D apps just as we can the .obj files from Matterport.

As long as I’m here, let me add this. I occasionally use DroneDeploy but WISH that they had an option to pay for processing of photo sets as a one-off. I can’t justify about $150 per month when I need this only once or twice a year. So I’d love a relationship with someone who uses DroneDeploy regularly and who I could pay a fee to just when I need a photo set processed. Anyone out there? Thanks.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Saulius private msg quote post Address this user
Join DroneDeploy. It has demo for 14 days and up to 1000 pix per project to calculate.

Or use it as a flight controler (or any other) to shoot unlimited pix and calculate it with Reality Capture PPI license.

Or hire 3D proffessional . My gallery: https://sketchfab.com/Saulius.Zaura
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saulius
Join DroneDeploy. It has demo for 14 days and up to 1000 pix per project to calculate.

Or use it as a flight controler (or any other) to shoot unlimited pix and calculate it with Reality Capture PPI license.

Or hire 3D proffessional . My gallery: https://sketchfab.com/Saulius.Zaura

THANKS Saulius! I wish you werent in Lithuania!

That is BEAUTIFUL work!
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Home3D
I am SOooo not an expert in this. However, I have used DroneDeploy on a few occasions to generate what you’re seeking.

First you locate and graphically “fence” the area you want to model using satellite view, and set a few parameters such as the density of detail you’re seeking. You also input the drone you’ll use and DroneDeploy will tell you how many batteries you’ll need for the full grid of photos. Hint: It may underestimate this a little. Be sure the photo exposure is set to manual so all photos are exposed the same.

It’s amazing, and freaky the first time, to see your drone take off and fly back and forth in an automated pattern across the sky, capturing hundreds of photos of the designated area. Also amazing as it drains the first battery, returns to home and lands on its mark, waiting for you to install a new battery, then take off and resume where it left off.

All the photos are uploaded to DroneDeploy where processing begins. Using photogrammetry, all the images are combined to create a 3D model of the terrain. This can be exported to other 3D apps just as we can the .obj files from Matterport.

As long as I’m here, let me add this. I occasionally use DroneDeploy but WISH that they had an option to pay for processing of photo sets as a one-off. I can’t justify about $150 per month when I need this only once or twice a year. So I’d love a relationship with someone who uses DroneDeploy regularly and who I could pay a fee to just when I need a photo set processed. Anyone out there? Thanks.

Home3D,
Thanks so much for this very helpful resource! This is almost exactly what I need! Now I need an operator in New York. Know anyone???
Post 7 IP   flag post
EaglePrecision private msg quote post Address this user
The best 3D services are (in order of least effort/learning required):
1. DroneDeploy - there are limits to the free version so, for your requirements, you'd probably have to pony up $149 for one month of the Lite plan (note: the annual plan is $99/month but if you only want to pay one month - it's $149). The have a great mapping app that automates the done photo capture in a grid format. They process the photos for you and the quality of their 3D output is very good and downloadable or shareable. The downside is you don't have too many parameters you can tweak.
2. Maps Made Easy - they have a great app (Map Pilot Pro) for capture also. They process your photos and charge based on total # of pixels processed. You can get a decent sized area mapped for $25-$30 with lots of analysis options. Not as sophisticated as DroneDeploy for 3D
3. Pix4D - this is considered the leader for 3D models in terms of sophistication and ability to teak parameters. It gives you the choice of leasing their desktop software to process yourself or have them process it or a combination. It is also the most costly option where the minimum plan for cloud processing on a month-to-month basis is $199.

I've seen several posts on RealityCapture (www.CapturingReality) which is also a PPI (pay-per-input) platform - I haven't tried it yet but I've seen good reviews. As a side note, you can use any of the capture apps to generate the overlapped grid photos and upload them to any of the services or software. However, for best quality, you need to read their best practice suggestions for parameters such as % overlap, etc.

Agisoft Metashape is a very good and affordable desktop software if you want to learn to process your own photogrammetry into 3D models. It's easier that the Pix4D software but still a daunting learning curve unless you're already familiar with 3D modelling terminology and technologies. It is not an all-encompassing platform like the 3 above so you are still faced with determining how the model is to be hosted & shared, etc.

If you intend to offer this as a service, you might consider taking the mapping course at Drone U - they concentrate on Pix4D.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Thank you all for your input. I really appreciate it. And, as always, thanks to Dan for hosting such a great resource. I appreciate you!
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EaglePrecision
The best 3D services are (in order of least effort/learning required):
1. DroneDeploy - there are limits to the free version so, for your requirements, you'd probably have to pony up $149 for one month of the Lite plan (note: the annual plan is $99/month but if you only want to pay one month - it's $149). The have a great mapping app that automates the done photo capture in a grid format. They process the photos for you and the quality of their 3D output is very good and downloadable or shareable. The downside is you don't have too many parameters you can tweak.
2. Maps Made Easy - they have a great app (Map Pilot Pro) for capture also. They process your photos and charge based on total # of pixels processed. You can get a decent sized area mapped for $25-$30 with lots of analysis options. Not as sophisticated as DroneDeploy for 3D
3. Pix4D - this is considered the leader for 3D models in terms of sophistication and ability to teak parameters. It gives you the choice of leasing their desktop software to process yourself or have them process it or a combination. It is also the most costly option where the minimum plan for cloud processing on a month-to-month basis is $199.

I've seen several posts on RealityCapture (www.CapturingReality) which is also a PPI (pay-per-input) platform - I haven't tried it yet but I've seen good reviews. As a side note, you can use any of the capture apps to generate the overlapped grid photos and upload them to any of the services or software. However, for best quality, you need to read their best practice suggestions for parameters such as % overlap, etc.

Agisoft Metashape is a very good and affordable desktop software if you want to learn to process your own photogrammetry into 3D models. It's easier that the Pix4D software but still a daunting learning curve unless you're already familiar with 3D modelling terminology and technologies. It is not an all-encompassing platform like the 3 above so you are still faced with determining how the model is to be hosted & shared, etc.

If you intend to offer this as a service, you might consider taking the mapping course at Drone U - they concentrate on Pix4D.

Awesome!!! Thanks much EaglePrecision. Quick question re: DroneDeploy. the platform seems similar in scope to Matterport for subscription services (in that you need one). Does DroneDeploy offer deliverables such as the 3D files containing terrain topography that can be imported into CAD programs in order to see and build upon the model?(Like Matterport does with .OBJ and .XYZ files). I assume once the subscription has expired you don't have access to the virtual fly-through photography but still have the data files independently? Hope that makes sense...
Todd
Post 10 IP   flag post
you need to subscribe to at least the Lite plan either annually ($99) or month-to-month ($149). Check out the Pricing page: https://www.dronedeploy.com/pricing-v2.html - It states the following for the Lite Plan: Share & Export Maps: Send map links to external stakeholders or export data (JPG, GeoTiff, and OBJ export only) I haven't done 3D models in about a year but I seem to remember downloading the OBJ files into Agisoft Metashape to do some more editing. Although I stopped paying the subscription, I still have access to my maps - I just can't share them, download them or work on them.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EaglePrecision
you need to subscribe to at least the Lite plan either annually ($99) or month-to-month ($149). Check out the Pricing page: https://www.dronedeploy.com/pricing-v2.html - It states the following for the Lite Plan: Share & Export Maps: Send map links to external stakeholders or export data (JPG, GeoTiff, and OBJ export only) I haven't done 3D models in about a year but I seem to remember downloading the OBJ files into Agisoft Metashape to do some more editing. Although I stopped paying the subscription, I still have access to my maps - I just can't share them, download them or work on them.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. good info. I will look at their plans!
Post 12 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
Both Agisoft Metashape and Zephyr 3D offer standard/light versions with $150-170 as a one time license fee.

Zephyr 3D free version offers procesing up to 50 images for free or you can use Agisoft Metashape in demo or trial mode. Demo will process any amount of images but you cannot import a 3D model or save a project. 14 days trial will let you do both.

Zephyr 3D can use CPU and RAM effectively while I cannot say the same about Metashape. Even though Metashape should process with CPU and RAM it always shuts down processing if there is not enough VIDEO memory. It usually happens after everything is done and you may lose hours of procesing. However I tried it only with 2GB Nvidia Quadro k2000 card. If you have a good gaming card with a lot of video memory it can be very fast.
The process is easy to follow in both and you do not need to know a lot to start doing it.

I used to have a commercial Yuneec drone with a mission planner called "Datapilot Planner" for any mission including photogrammetry. I am not sure how big a site needs to be that you need 1000s of images. The mission planner allows you to choose what you need to capture using Google Maps and then based on required ground resolution it will tell you how many images it is going to take nad it will build a mission to load into a drone. My land is about 1/3 of an acre and the planner usually told me it's need just a few dozen pictures to get a resolution of 2cm per pixel.

If you want to play with DataPilot Planner you can download it from here
Post 13 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Video: Fundamentals of Drone LiDAR | Video courtesy of Indiana Drones YouTube Channel | 29 April 2021

Video: BLK2FLY Autonomous Reality Capture | Video courtesy of Leica BLK YouTube Channel | 7 September 2021

Video: Introducing BLK2FLY: Autonomous Flying Laser Scanner | Video courtesy of Leica BLK YouTube Channel | 7 September 2021

@immersivespaces
@JuMP
@Home3D
@Saulius
@EaglePrecision
@Wingman

Thank you for your help/insight for @DigitalTwin (and those that are interested in this topic now and in the future).

So honored that you are Members of the WGAN Community.

@DigitalTwin

Thank you for your kind note.

You may find clicking on some of the Tags (top of your original post) helpful for a deeper-dive.

For example:

DroneDeploy
Pix4D
Skydio

Another resource that may be helpful is the Indiana Drones YouTube Channel. I included one of his videos above that may be relevant.

While I am not a drone pilot, I thought the two Leica BLK2FLY videos (above) might be helpful.

Please keep us posted on how you plan to proceed.

Best,

Dan
Post 14 IP   flag post
@DanSmigrod Thank you again Dan! This is all really great stuff and thanks to everyone that offered up their resources and knowledge. After reviewing all of this I must say I'm getting a bit itchy to get the FAA license and start doing drone work! It would certainly aid in selling my services. Now if you would all just send me $500 each I'll be able to get my first drone

Happy Holidays Everyone!
T
Post 15 IP   flag post
I don't think the topics posted were relevant to the original question by DigitalTwin which was about using topography in CAD and 3D models. Surveying accuracy was not mentioned and is a more complicated topic to address. Survey-level accuracy is achievable with the providers that were previously mentioned: Pix4D, DroneDeploy, etc. but requires a deeper level of understanding of drone mapping and surveying. There are different approaches and equipment configurations including GNSS base stations, RTK drones, etc. None of this is required, though, to develop a relatively accurate 3D model which can be used in a CAD system to build out a physical facsimile if careful attention is paid to capture parameters and processing of the point cloud (i.e., in Pix4D - there is little adjustment available in DroneDeploy).
Onboard drone LIDAR raises the level of accuracy somewhat but it also exponentially raises the level of investment necessary in time and equipment. Offering a product created with a LIDAR equipped drone for use cases requiring that level of survey accuracy, in my opinion, belongs to licensed surveyors who have the business case for such an investment and not ordinary drone pilots (particularly in North Carolina).
Post 16 IP   flag post
101436 16 16
This topic is archived. Start new topic?