Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
CalibrationCamerasMatterportPoint Clouds

Does the Matterport Pro2 3D Camera need to be Calibrated?15862

jpierce360 private msg quote post Address this user
Does the pro 2 camera's need to be Calibrated?

I have an architect that said the point clouds from Matterport have been off recently.
i've never heard of re-calibration for these camera's but just thought I would ask the group.
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
lilnitsch private msg quote post Address this user
@jpierce360

I believe re-calibrations need to be done back at Matterport's test facilities ~ they have a calibration room with a series of alignment tags on the walls
Post 2 IP   flag post
Matterport
Camera
Repair Service
Gainesville, Florida
MatterFix private msg quote post Address this user
If a camera needs to be recalibrated, it does need to be sent to Matterport per the previous comment. I believe that recalibration costs around $600 (the same fee as swapping out your camera for a re-manufactured one). As far as what your architect mentioned, I would verify with him as to what exactly he means...the tolerances for the drawings created with the Matterport camera are typically good for initial scoping of work and creating preliminary plans but most architects are going to need a higher level of accuracy for finished plans. Your architect may need you to use a BLK to create the level of detail and accuracy that he wants/needs.
Post 3 IP   flag post
VirtusRealis private msg quote post Address this user
@jpierce360
I had these kind of deviation in measurements a year ago and I asked Matterport about calibration as the camera was still under warranty.
They sent me a re-manufactured one but it was even worse (meaning they don't re-calibrate it...)
They eventually nicely sent a brand new camera and get mine to be re-manufactured.
So I agree with @Matterfix on that.

As I often work in the architecture field, I always take laser measurements onsite and compared it with measurements within the space. I'm actually under 0.25% deviation
As long as I remember, the deviation started to appear after I drove too fast over a bump on the road making my case slapping harshly the bottom of my trunk. Even if the case made a 1 inch drop, I believe this definitively moved something into the camera.
Today, I always travel with the camera into its original case.
When scanning, I moved the camera really carefully also, getting the camera down the tripod if I need to move too far or going under something.
Depending of your architect project, switch to a BLK scanning. Although I believe this to be exaggerated for classic spaces...
Compared to laser scanning, Matterport spaces offer more stations and are much more affordable.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Matterport
Camera
Repair Service
Gainesville, Florida
MatterFix private msg quote post Address this user
@VirtusRealis 0.25% is very good! And I definitely agree with your comments about protecting the camera from bumps or impacts...for normal MP scanning and creating models, some impacts won't affect the model it produces but if your doing AEC work you should always handle the camera with care and verify your models with field laser measurements....a minor impact to the camera can seriously affect the AEC measurements.
Post 5 IP   flag post
101436 5 5
This topic is archived. Start new topic?