Video: How to get started using the Matterport Capture app with your Android device - Part 1 of 3 | Video courtesy of Matterport YouTube Channel | 21 October 2021

Video: How to capture in 3D using your Android and the Matterport Capture app - Part 2 of 3 | Video courtesy of Matterport YouTube Channel | 21 October 2021

Video: How to personalize and share your digital twin captured with your Android device - Part 3 of 3 | Video courtesy of Matterport YouTube Channel | 21 October 2021

Videos: Getting Started with Matterport Capture app with your Android device

Hi All,

These three Matterport training videos were created by Matterport Senior Marketing Manager Amir Frank.

Questions about using Matterport Capture App with an Android device?

Dan

---

WGAN Forum Related Discussions

Matterport 3D Capture Now Available on Android Mobile Devices (Exits Beta) (28 October 2021)
Videos: Getting Started with Matterport Capture app with your Android device (28 October 2021)
Matterport Now Available to Billions of Android Customers in 175 Countries (20 April 2021)
Matterport Android Capture Beta for Pro2; Insta360 ONE/R, Ricoh Theta Z1/V (2 September 2020)
WGAN Forum discussions tagged: Android | Capture App Android | SmartPhone | Matterport Smartphone Capture | Media Release | MTTR

WGAN-TV Training U (in Matterport) | (Not affiliated with Matterport)

Transcript (Video Above: 1 of 3)

Welcome Matterporters. Thanks for joining me in this series of videos.

I want to introduce you to smartphone capture with Android. What I want to do using my Android phone is quickly get a couple of scans of this space so that I can bring it into Matterport. To get started, let's talk a little bit about compatibility.

The Android compatible phones are going to be Android nine or higher, and you need to have at least 3 gigabytes of RAM. Once you've got that, you're ready to go.

I've got my Pixel 5 with me, and I'll just go ahead and open up the Play Store, search for Matterport and download the Matterport Capture app. Going to the Play Store, search for Matterport.

There is the Matterport Capture app, if I already downloaded in my case, you don't need any help with that. I'll just go ahead and open the Capture app.

Once the Capture app opens, of course, you're going to have to go through some license agreements, accept that, and it'll ask you to sign in. You can also skip this stuff for now and just get your account later on.

For now I'll go ahead and skip this, and then of course, I want to enable the camera access because we are going to be using the phone's camera and enable location access as well as storage access and then hit Continue.

Of course, at this point you should feel totally free to go through all these little tool tips to discover the application, but I'm just going to go ahead and press the Plus button down here to open up a new model, because I've allowed location services.

It fills in all the data so I can just go ahead and hit Save. Now I just wanted to point out a couple of things. Right above the scan button, which is the button right at the bottom there is Android camera that indicates that I am using this phone's camera.

If I was connected to another camera that we support, that is what would be listed there. Now if you press on the Options button right next to the scan button, you'll see 3D scanner, 360 capture as the top two options. I'm not going to get into 360 capture in this video, we've got a lot of information about that. Here we're just going to focus on 3D scans.

Remember, I just want to grab a couple scan positions of this spot. This shouldn't take more than about four scan positions.

Then I'm going to upload that so I can use our spatial management tool and plan out how I want this laid out. As far as simple versus complete scan, because I'm using a phone with a wide angle lens, I feel comfortable using these simple scan.

It allows me just to do a single rotation around with the complete scan option, it'll have me do one rotation with the camera facing a little bit down and another rotation with the camera facing a little bit up. That way I get a more complete spherical image.

In this case, my options are all sediments, I've got everything set up as it needs to be. You really don't need anything more than your Android phone and a free Matterport subscription. Now that I'm all set up on my phone, I'm ready to scan and I'll see you in the next video.

---

Transcript (Video Above: 2 of 3)

Welcome back. In this video, I'm just going to show you very quickly how to quickly go through the room and scan your space. This couldn't be any more simple. The first thing that you want to know is how to properly hold your phone.

The way you hold your phone is basically, by having your elbows tucked in close to your side, so you can firmly get a hold of your phone. Now, you want to lean back a little bit and I'll tell you exactly why. Most often it's very common to do this the same way you would take a picture of a panorama, something like that, where it's a vista point of this far away landscape.

In this case, because all the surfaces are, relatively speaking, much closer to us, we can't do that. You can't have your body be the axis.

What you need to do is have the phone be the axis. To do that again, just have your elbows tucked in close to your side to keep a firm grip of the phone. I'd like to lean back a little bit and I have my foot set out a little bit in front of me and the phone is right over my toe.

What I do is just tap the button right here to get the scanned going. I'll tilt it, so that the circle is aligned with the dots. It'll scan the first position and then I just rotate to the left. What I'm doing is just pivoting around my big toe or the ball of my foot, and there you have that. Just keep going like this until I've done the complete 360.

As soon as I'm done, all that information gets processed into the complete panorama and it uses Cortex to convert it into the 3D model. Now it's aligning it into the model. The next thing, once I see this pop in here, I'm just going to go over to this corner over there, do the same thing again, followed by that corner and then that corner and then I should be done.

You don't want to be too far into the corner. You want to stay about 5-6 feet away from the edges and corners of the room. Keep your pattern of four scan positions in the room, more towards the center and not so close to the edges. I'm all done as you saw on the screen, I did five scan positions for this room, only because in this case, I started with my first scan being right here, instead of a little bit further into the corner.

Now, I'm going to go ahead and mark this. By marking, I mean indicate in the model where windows and mirrors are located. To do that, I'll just press the markings button right over here, and I can zoom in a little bit.

There's this really large mirror over here, and I would need to mark that. I'll press the mirror marking button right there, and just draw a mirror marking from one end to the other.

I can move my model around. I can zoom in a little bit and grab the edges of that marking to make this a little bit more accurate and that should really pretty much do it. I don't feel like I need to do anything else. Just mark that mirror, so I'll X out of that, and now I'm ready to upload. To upload, I can very simply just press the "Upload" button in the top right corner.

If you're in the home screen and you have a list of a bunch of different models that you've already done, you can go here and just press the three dot menu there, and you have the Upload option right here in the menu.

Before we upload, however, I just wanted to bring your attention to the background of this application. Now, by default, it does use cell data, just like many other applications and works in the background. If you don't have an unlimited plan, because these are relatively heavy files, you may want to turn cell data off for this application, so that it only uploads when you're on Wi-Fi.

In order to do that, It's very simple. Just go to the home screen, I'll hold down the application icon, press "App Info", and go to "Mobile data", and you can see that background data is activated, so I'll just switch that off. I'll get out of there and go back into the app, press those three dots, and then press "Upload".

You can see that it's asking me to sign in, because I haven't yet signed into my account. Directly from the Capture app, you can either sign in or sign up for an account if you don't already have one. In my case, I've already signed up for my free account, so I'll just go ahead and sign in here. I'll add my email and password, and now it's ready to upload.

The very last step before uploading, you have the option of turning on face blurring, and this is an automated feature. In my case, I really don't need that, there's nothing in here that is sensitive.

If there is something that I find later on, I can always manually blur it in workshop and we'll definitely cover that in video number three. All that's left for me to do is press the Upload button and we're all done.

Now, let's go ahead and head on over to video number three, where I'll show you what to do with Matter tags, blurring, highlight reel, everything you need to know in workshop to get it perfectly setup.

---

Transcript (Video Above: 3 of 3)

Welcome to Video 3. In this three-part series, in Video 1, we went ahead and installed and set up the Capture App on your Android device.

You can check out that video here in the corner. In Video 2, I walk you through exactly how to properly scan your space using your Android phone. You can also find that video up here in the corner.

Now in Video 3, I want to take you through customizing and sharing your space. If you remember, the property that I scanned was a small pool house, basically a one-bedroom studio. I was able to scan the pool house with only five scans, so it didn't take me very long at all.

Processing didn't take long at all either. Let's go ahead and check this out. I'm in my account at my.Matterport.com, so I'll just open up my last model here. Now, I'll just go ahead and hit the play button to see what this model looks like.

As I move around, you can see just how much stuff in clutter is in this room. This is really just being used more as a storage unit right now. Because of that, it's really hard to visualize how this space could potentially be used as a guest house.

That is exactly why I scan it this way to show you this new planning tool available in Matterport that allows you to see what size furniture you can put in this space without ever having to move anything around. This is exactly the kind of thing that demonstrates the power of a Matterport digital twin with measurement accuracy versus just your traditional virtual tour.

That's really just a bunch of ThreeSixty images. Back to my model page. I just want to go into share and make sure that my model is shareable. This tool is only available if the model is shareable.

I'll close out of here and then go into details. Scroll all the way down, go in to visit labs and this tool right here called Spatial Planners.

What I want, I'll just click there, and now I just click on the room that I want to edit. You can see immediately how the entire room has been cleared out of all that clutter and is now available for me to play around with.

Just to take a quick step back with five scans, that took five minutes, I was able to capture a dimensionally accurate digital twin of my room without ever lifting a finger. Now I can go ahead and virtually plan how I want this space to look. All right, so let's add some furniture in here. I can just press the plus button here.

Add in a dresser. I can edit the size of this dresser. Maybe I saw one that I really like online. I can put in the size right here and then hit Add. I can use these little corner bits here to rotate the dresser and move it into position.

I'm not looking for perfection here. I just want to know whether or not the furniture that I really like online before I go ahead and buy that, will it actually fit in my space properly. I've already gone through this. I'm just going to go ahead and load a previous layout, I load Slot 1 and there's everything that I have for my new room because you have a dimensionally accurate digital twin, you can do this and know that it's actually going to fit in your space properly.

That's it, really quite simple. Now that the pool house project is all done, I want to take you through customizing your digital twin.

When I'm done customizing the space, so I'll go ahead and grab the share link so I can use that everywhere the listing is being promoted, go ahead and find them all in your account and just press Edit in order to open it up in workshop.

You've got these tools over here on the right side. The first thing we do is basically just go ahead and set the start position.

Now, look around the room. This actually looks like a pretty decent view. I'm going to choose that. Hit my start location right there and just hit set. Now that my start location has been set, I can walk around and just check out the rest of this model. I can press the number two, see the dollhouse. This is a super cute listing in Aptos, California.

We're good there. If I wanted to hide any scans, I can do that in the 3D scans tool right here. There's really no need to have a scan number one right here that was more captured just to fill in the 3D mesh. I'll just press the little eyeball right over here on the scan 1. Same thing over here. scan number 13. That kind of creeps a little bit into the bathroom.

This too was captured really just to flesh out the complete 3D model.

I will hide scan number 13. That's it. We should be set there. With that done, I'll go on to the next one. I can grab photos. I can not only grab photos of the dollhouse, I can go into the floor plan view and grab photos at the floor plan view.

This also is helpful to include in my listing, people get a better sense of how this space is laid out. Of course, I can also go into the model itself and move around to grab photos this way and just press a little camera button down here to grab some photos.

Now, this is pretty important if there's anything in your skin that you really don't want to have included as part of the model, as part of the walk-through experience. In right here is a picture of somebody that I don't want to have included. I can go ahead and use the blur tools.

This tool right here allows me to manually blur and I can just press the plus sign. I don't need a brush that big, so I'll come down here, reduce the brush size a little bit. The more I brush away at this, the blurrier it becomes, I can just press the check mark there and remember, very important, you need to do this from all the different positions. If I can see it from here as well, I'll press the plus symbol again and again.

Just reduce the brush size a little bit more. Here we go, press checks. Now I've got those blurred out. Now I can add Mattertags and this is especially cool for listings. There we go.

You can say another one down here. Done so you can describe and have everything laid out with the Mattertag, so people know exactly where to go to find whatever they need. The last thing that I want to show you is the Highlight Reel.

This allows you to create a Highlight Reel of different highlights, little photos areas in the model that you want to highlight and point out to your visitors. You can click there. You don't need to use images. But you can just hit Add view.

It will add this exact view right into the Highlight Reel itself. I can move around them and go into the bedroom here and click a view of that. Of course, this particular space is very small, so I don't need the Highlight Reel per se here. But larger homes where you really want to have a guided tour, to handhold the visitor through the space, showing them everything that they might need to see and become familiar with.

This is a really, really good way to do that. The last thing, super important of course, is to publish this. Before I leave the edit tool, what I want to do is press the Publish button up here. Yes, apply the to blurs, in this case, are going to be applied. In my case, I don't want to do that. I don't want to apply the blurs to this model so I'll hit no, I can go back into my blur and I'm just going to go ahead and delete these.

Now I can go ahead and feel comfortable publishing without those blurs actually affecting the model. That's it. Once you have published all your changes, you're ready to copy your share link. You can do that right over here. Just exit and just press the share button right here.

Go ahead and tap the Copy link button here. Now that the link has been copied, I can go ahead and share this or paste it wherever with whomever I want. Now I want to show you something really cool from the visitor's perspective. If I close out of here and then I just open up a new tab and hit Paste, I'll actually be able to visit the space that I had just customized.

What I can do if I'm a visitor coming to this space, I can come down here and press this little measure icon, press the plus, and I can go ahead and start measuring this room just to see if it suits my needs. For example, I can go into the floor plan view and press the plus symbol here. I can tell that this is 4.59 meters.

I can also come up here to settings and choose US Imperial. Very quickly and easily as a visitor, I can see the accurate dimensions of this room and really get a very complete understanding of the space. That's just one more example of how a digital twin with dimensional accuracy is very different from a virtual walk-through.

There are so many different ways you can use your digital twin homeowners conditionally document their property as well as everything in it for online appraisals, insurance purposes, or just to have that peace of mind, builders are using digital twins to plan and manage construction projects online and collaborate inside the digital twin itself with designers, contractors, and clients.

And of course, real estate agents are using their digital twins to create immersive walk-through experiences where they too can navigate the virtual experience and meet up with clients inside the digital twin, as well as of course, using that virtual experience across their own social network.

All that potential of having a digital twin can now be easily captured using your Android phone. I hope you found this information helpful.

# # # #