Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
DroneMavic air 2Mavic Mini 2Regulations

Drone Canadian regulations: Which Drone Should I Buy?15772

misho73 private msg quote post Address this user
To Canadian operators
Any help is appreciated.

I decided to add drone photography to my scope of services.

Based on regulations, I am to buy either Mavic air 2 or Mavic Mini 2. As I understood, Mavic Mini 2 does not need registration nor Pilot certification.

I am willing to do the advanced operations certification and pass the flying review test for the Mavic air 2 better features.

Still, I am reluctant to do so cause, according to the Canadian regulations, the micro <250g drones like Mini 2 without any pilot certification has more freedom to fly than Air 2 (>250g) with Advanced operations certification holders (Please see the attached photos). Am I getting this right?

I feel that I got that wrong cause it doesn't make sense to my brain. Yes, Air 2 is few grams heavier than Mini 2, but it has more safety features + a pilot certification is required.

How come I get more freedom with less restrictions when I fly with no pilot certification?

If that's the case, I will for sure go for the Mini 2. Am I missing something here?
And for those who have Air 2, how easy it is to use in Toronto City?

Post 1 IP   flag post
3D Renderings
AEC Elevation Drawings
Montreal, Québec
ArchimedStudio private msg quote post Address this user
It makes absolutely no sense, you are totally right. Mini-drones are the far West... the rules say you SHOULD be careful, you SHOULD not fly above 400', you SHOULD not fly above people, etc...

I have an advanced license, and I CANNOT fly above 400' or fly above people. However, if I ever needed to, I can apply for a SFOC and might get the permission (after 3-4 weeks of intense studying of my mission from Transport Canada).
I often fly very close to the airport with the proper authorizations, which you definitely will not be able to do without any license (DJI No Fly Zone will prevent the drone to take off).

I really think they should require base or advanced license for ANY commercial operations. But that's my 2 cents (and I'm biased obviously).

Cheers and fly safely (I saw a true moron in Quebec City posting a video showing himself flying close to 3km in altitude!! That's about 9,000feet!!!).

Matt
Post 2 IP   flag post
misho73 private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks Matt. Much appreciated. I guess license is worth it too.
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
Totally agree on nonsense with almost no restrictions for anything under 250g.
Post 4 IP   flag post
101428 4 4
This topic is archived. Start new topic?