Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AndroidMPEMBEDNew Interior SolutionsTosolini ProductionsVirtual Staging

[R&D] How to virtually stage a tour using Android MP Capture beta15758

Tosolini
Productions
Bellevue, Washington
Tosolini private msg quote post Address this user

In this new exploration, we are leveraging the Import 360 feature of the Android Capture app beta to virtually stage a vacant space.

Workflow:

- We took an existing Pro2 tour and downloaded all 360s using MPEmbed batch pano extractor. You'll end up with a series of images numerically ordered
- We virtually staged a few 360s and swapped the original files with the new ones, using the same file names
- We setup an Android phone with the Capture app beta and moved the panos into the phone internal storage
- The Android Capture app beta has a new feature that allows you to import 360s separately. This gives you an opportunity to edit the images before processing them in the MP cloud

Above is the final result. A seamless integration of staged photos in the tour.

Special thanks to Francesca Tosolini for providing the virtual staging design services for this experiment, and to Kirk Stromberg of MP for releasing this new feature.
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
In your Facebook post about it you have said that you replaced empty panos with staged ones. Do you mean MPEmbed allows such a replacement or you have access to your tour files in Matterport cloud and you can replace it there?

Also you have mentioned there that on a premium subscription MPEmbed allows to download all 360 from a Matterport tour. Are they original resolution of a Pro2(143MP), 32MP or 8MP?
Post 2 IP   flag post
Tosolini
Productions
Bellevue, Washington
@wingman MPEmbed Premium can only batch download the 360s in the resolution allowed by MP, which is the usual 4K. I wish it could be higher.

The virtual staging is done separately, then I used the Android Capture app to create from scratch a brand new model by importing the original 360s and the modified ones, all together.

I haven’t tested replacing individual panos after the publishing of a tour. That’s not a feature of MPEmbed, rather of the Android Capture beta app.
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Thanks for clarifying but then I do not get why none of your staged furniture appears in your tour dollhouse view? It should be picked up during Matterport conversion but your dollhouse does not show even one extra bit of staging from the staged panos.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Tosolini
Productions
Bellevue, Washington
That I don’t know. Maybe the surrounding empty panos overruled the lonely staged 360?
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN
3rd Party
Service
Beijing
JuMP private msg quote post Address this user
@Tosolini It is too complex for finishing a such simple thing that replace some panoramas within in a showcase.
You can select the existing virtual stage services to get better result at a reasonable price.
BTW there is a suggestion to Matterport, if you can let us to reimport panoramas during capture, why not add another function at the showcase edit page to allow us replace panoramas in the showcase result. It is easier than reimport panorama during capture.

@Wingman You can see the shadow of the painting on the wall of the dollhouse room. That came from the edited panoramas. The original panoramas of pro2 is 16Kx8K RGBD, but after edit it becomes 8Kx4K RGB only result with lots of different pixels from the virtual stage. How can it be aligned successfully is a big question for me now.
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user

Screen Grab 1

Screen Grab 2

@Tosolini

Ah! The Matterport MatterTag shows where to "stand" to see the virtual staging within the empty space.

Awesome virtual staging by @ftosolini with New Interior Solutions.

Thank you for sharing your workflow. You are very generous helping the WGAN Community.

Much thanks!

Dan
Post 7 IP   flag post
Tosolini
Productions
Bellevue, Washington
@jump I think swapping a panorama on the fly would be the ideal solution. Also downloading full resolution images in batch would be cool too.

@dansmigrod Thanks for the kind note. The Mattertags are indeed there as pure labels. No interactivity attached.
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Tosolini

Seems like your workflow also works as a workaround for photographers that want to edit out the camera in the bathroom mirror.

Best,

Dan
Post 9 IP   flag post
Morristown, New Jersey
foxwrth13 private msg quote post Address this user
Does the original tour need to be done using the andriod?
Also, Do I just upload the panos (staged and unstaged) into Andriod capture or do I need to place and align them up....is there more to do?
Post 10 IP   flag post
Tosolini
Productions
Bellevue, Washington
@foxwrth13 The original tour can be done with any device. In my case, I used a Pro2 and the tour was done several months ago. I downloaded the 360s, staged a few of them, and re-uploaded them. The Capture App aligns them automatically. If it needs re-alignment for some reason, you can do it on the device.

Some complex spaces will not align properly. I did an experiment using CGI (a virtual exhibit), and after several attempts and hours of uploading / re-aligning / deleting I gave up. If you are lucky, you don't have to do anything else other than uploading the new panos.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Morristown, New Jersey
@Tosolini the problem I seem to have is that the android app is telling me I need one 3D scan to upload the tour. Did you use the android app with the pro 2?
Post 12 IP   flag post
Morristown, New Jersey
@Tosolini I think I figured out what I'm doing wrong
Post 13 IP   flag post
Tosolini
Productions
Bellevue, Washington
@foxwrth13 In the Capture beta, this steps should work:
- select the Plus sign to create a new scan and give it a name
- select Android Camera > Import 360 images > 3D scan (don't select 360 views even if these are panos)
- Select the source and import the images

The step that may lead to confusion is selecting the 3D scan option to import the panos. You don't need any 3D scan. The panos will be converted into virtual 3D scans via Cortex.
Post 14 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
@Tosolini, have you tried to import and convert an aerial 360 photo? I am sure everybody would love to see how it can contribute to a 3D dollhouse.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Tosolini
Productions
Bellevue, Washington
@wingman I haven't tried anything aerial yet. Seems like an interesting experiment (I wish I had a drone though)
Post 16 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
What android device are you using?
My Xiaomi Mi Max 3(and 2) are supposed to work with the capture app but they cannot see it in Play Store.

I believe something like Surface Duo & Samsung Fold(1st version) can be bought in as in new condition for less than $1000 AUD. I like Surface Duo as it seems to be more long lasting built than a folding screen on Fold.. however Fold comes with 12GB of RAM and 512GB of storage while Surface Duo is only 6GB of RAM and 128GB storage.

I am not looking for a phone size, I need to have a big screen and that's why I am looking at these two. I do not mind tablets but the closest good one probably Samsung Tab S6.

Any other less expensive android device that may work with the capture app?
Post 17 IP   flag post
Tosolini
Productions
Bellevue, Washington
@wingman I'm an iOS user and the only Android device I've at home is the Samsung Galaxy S8 that was part of the now defunct GeoCV system. I followed the instructions to download the beta and it appeared as expected in the Google Play Store. I can't comment about the Surface Duo or the Samsung Fold or any others, sorry.
Post 18 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
I bet most Samsung Galaxy from recent 2-3 years models will work. S4 though cannot see it.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Morristown, New Jersey
I got it to work. Thank you very much for your help. First floor came out great. Second floor had some glitches but it's a start.
Post 20 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Buffalo, New York
GETMYVR private msg quote post Address this user
@Tosolini thanks for keeping us at the edge of our seat!
Post 21 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Video: LONGEST & AFFORDABLE Selfie Pole + Microphone in 2021 - 270Pro vs TELESIN for Insta360 ONE X2 GoPro | Video courtesy of CreatorUp YouTube Channel | 16 January 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman
@Tosolini, have you tried to import and convert an aerial 360 photo? I am sure everybody would love to see how it can contribute to a 3D dollhouse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Tosolini
@wingman I haven't tried anything aerial yet. Seems like an interesting experiment (I wish I had a drone though)

@Tosolini

How to use a pole for an "aerial" shot in lieu of a Drone or No Fly Zone

Dan
Post 22 IP   flag post
101436 22 22
This topic is archived. Start new topic?