Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AdviceError MessagesPro2ProblemsScanningUnable to Scan

Multiple "unable to scan" error messages15596

Shawn_P private msg quote post Address this user
Good day all,

I was scanning a restaurant this a.m. and kept getting repeated "unable to scan" errors. I tried moving closer to the original scan position, sometimes even right on top of the original scan. Tried scanning further away, I rebooted the camera, rebooted the software, rebooted the ipad and the error message became even more frequent.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance,

Shawn P
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN
Fan Club
Sacramento, California
dmcquade private msg quote post Address this user
Hey Shawn_p!

Was the error "unable to scan" or was it an alignment error?
Post 2 IP   flag post
Vanaman06 private msg quote post Address this user
We’re there any errors or is it scanning and then not aligning?

If it’s not scanning it sounds like the dreaded sensor error but if you aren’t getting the error then maybe not.

If it’s an alignment error A couple solutions could be to delete the last scan and then place something in the shot that it can align better.

If not to far in I would try to start over but in the spot I was having a problem to see if it replicates.

Also if there are large windows and lots of light coming in sometimes sunlight can cause an alignment error.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Matterport
Camera
Repair Service
Gainesville, Florida
MatterFix private msg quote post Address this user
@Shawn_P - As per above I would try deleting scans until you can get it to start working correctly again. Or do a quick new model and see if it works ok then, if so, you've got a bad scan in the model you're having trouble with. I would assume that the camera is:
1) rotating as normal when you initiate a scan?
2) the scan is transferring to your ipad as normal?,
3) after trying to align the scan you're getting the message "unable to scan"?
If your not getting a specific "error XXXYYY" message, then I don't think anything is wrong with your camera. Email me at: mike@matterfix.io if you want to discuss directly.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Also, if you camera is not scanning at all make sure you to look at the screen on the camera right away to see if it shows an error code.

It only stays on the screen for about 10 seconds and then goes away.
Post 5 IP   flag post
@dmcquade unable to scsn
Post 6 IP   flag post
@MatterFix this is a problem that has gotten steadily worse. On Tuesday, I scanned the same restaurant at a different location, same floor plan. I'm scanning down an aisle, every 6 feet then the next spot "unable to scan."

My start time was 8:00, I was to be done by 11. Due to all the rescanning, sometimes on top of the last scanned position I finished at 11:30. Today, the problem was worse and eventually it just crapped the bed completely. Now I'm out of a fee.
Post 7 IP   flag post
@Vanaman06 This started on Tuesday when I was scanning the first of two restaurants this week. It was every third or fourth scan I was getting "unable to scan." I'm going in a straight line every, never got an "alignment" message, only "unable to scan." I got through the first restaurant but went a little over my time there. This morning the issue was worse. I have a set window of time to complete the project and having to delete scans and rescan doesn't help and today, I got the "unable to scan" message no matter what I tried.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Matterport
Camera
Repair Service
Gainesville, Florida
@Shawn_P I believe it has to be a problem with the cameras rotation....something has gotten out of adjustement in the drive train....I'll check with my matterport contacts and follow up when i hear back from them.
Post 9 IP   flag post
@MatterFix much appreciated
Post 10 IP   flag post
Matterport
Camera
Repair Service
Gainesville, Florida
@Shawn_P Have you been able to upload any models since the problem started happening? If so, send me your camera serial number and they should be able to look up the statistics for your camera and tell what is going on.
Also, the camera is not supposed to have the ability to display an "unable to scan message"....is the message showing on your ipad? And what is displaying on your cameras LED screen when you get this error?
Post 11 IP   flag post
@MatterFix the message is on the iPad. I have sent the information to Matterport. Waiting to hear back
Post 12 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
I do not know if it helps but if it is caused by some problems in rotation may be try to rotate your camera a bit manually before each scan.
Post 13 IP   flag post
@Wingman couldn’t have happened at a worse time. I was scanning a restaurant when it decided to crap the bed
Post 14 IP   flag post
I had a progressive issue like you were having. Got an unable to scan message on the iPad. Rebooting fixed it but over the next 2 weeks it started happening more and More. I was also getting a sensor error on the camera Screen. The error only stays up for a few seconds so it’s easy to miss.

I had to send it in to Matterport for repair. It was still under warranty so they sent me a new camera.
Post 15 IP   flag post
This is what I was getting when I had the sensor error. It’s blurry bc the error flashes to fast and didn’t have a chance to focus.

Post 16 IP   flag post
I was getting the “unable to scan” on my iPad. Not the camera itself
Post 17 IP   flag post
Yes I was getting unable to scan on my iPad and the above error on the camera.
Post 18 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn_P
@Wingman couldn’t have happened at a worse time. I was scanning a restaurant when it decided to crap the bed

I know I have been in a similar boat but with my tripod when it broke midday during big space scanning.

Still try my suggestion. If it is some fault with a sensor in your camera it may not sensing it is ready for the next scan so rotating your camera manually may fix it at least temporarily.

Also could be as simple as some problem with wireless interference or your WIFI antenna connection coming lose and signal becomes very weak. The capture app may try to send a command over TCP/IP to start scanning and waiting for a response but packets cannot get through to a camera due to weak signal or interference.
Post 19 IP   flag post
A follow up. Matterport has instructed me to send my camera in and for $500, they will send me a replacement camera since mine is out of warranty.

Better than another 3k for a new one.

Thanks all for the advice.
Post 20 IP   flag post
101436 20 20
This topic is archived. Start new topic?