Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 692 Unique Visitors
9,052 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,455 Page Views | 19,142 Unique Visitors | 25 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Newbies

second ever scan. Outdoor space worked well1559

Standard
Charleston, SC
marswalker private msg quote post Address this user
https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=xehAqAkQ2Ys

40 minutes total time - i think I would do less scans next time and stay a little further from the walls. Maybe shorten the tripod and scan from the kitchen island?
Post 1 IP   flag post
ny360east private msg quote post Address this user
Nice! sun was completely down, correct? early evening.?
Post 2 IP   flag post
Standard
Charleston, SC
6 PM sky was overcast. I think part of the success was due to the surrounding buildings fence and other good data points
Post 3 IP   flag post
GarySnyder private msg quote post Address this user
Typically if you cant see the sun then your ok to shoot outside and the camera works great. You just have to look out for the suns reflection of shiney objects as that can screw up you scan. On inportant note and it's been said many time is don't be confused by a cloudy day, if the sun is up there in the clouds the IR will still screw up your shot.
Post 4 IP   flag post
LewisBishop private msg quote post Address this user
Great job! I have not had any luck scanning outside.
Post 5 IP   flag post
thebiggerpicture private msg quote post Address this user
@marswalker At any point when you were scanning outside did you see the ground/deck or was it black and showed up after processing?
Post 6 IP   flag post
Standard
Charleston, SC
it shows but I did another this weekend where its partly black. If its sunny it will be black. Do outside in early morning , evening or on an overcast day
Post 7 IP   flag post
Standard
Charleston, SC
https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=pMvfC6VRUHZ&start=1,d93fda85b6714629a7a344f27b0d7ce6,-3.6465,1.4738,-5.9000,-0.0960,0.7928,0.1295,0.5877

Watch the sliding door - marked as a mirror and then went outside. Deleted the mirror after 1 outdoor scan
Post 8 IP   flag post
thebiggerpicture private msg quote post Address this user
That's interesting. I just posted about a scan that was giving me trouble outside. The deck was totally black. It was an overcast day, north facing so typically it would be in shadow (I think). In any case I didn't want to chance something not looking right after processing so I closed the door, deleted scans, and rescanned that part of the house.
Post 9 IP   flag post
StevenHattan private msg quote post Address this user
Did you have any help with your model(s)? It's simply 'amazing' it's only your second one.

"Watch the sliding door - marked as a mirror and then went outside. Deleted the mirror after 1 outdoor scan"

Naturally...
Post 10 IP   flag post
Standard
Charleston, SC
Steven -
I guess I had the right attitude- If I don't know something doesn't work it just may work - instead of implying I was not lucky and had help why don't you try some out of the box thinking with the system - and then share so others can help find solutions to basic limitations.

I am working on a before and after renovation model now. My thinking is if the structure points stay similar I should be able to create a new model and add scans after the renovation. For structure points that change I will try blocking with a mirror for the scan. Goal being to walk from a room needing renovation into a renovated room.
Post 11 IP   flag post
StevenHattan private msg quote post Address this user
Besides a few visible camera shots your scan was near perfect. This comes with experience. I've seen models that people have done after MONTHS and they don't look as good as yours did. (BTW...these are all compliments)

This is not 'normal'. Like anything there is a learning curve.

When I see something like what you've done it makes me wonder. Even the models that Matterport has done aren't as 'clean' as yours.

A typical person needs experience and knowledge to think outside the box. Most people need to understand what's IN the box in order to go outside it.

This is your second scan? You're one in a million!

Perhaps brain surgery might be a better career? :-)
Post 12 IP   flag post
101646 12 12
This topic is archived. Start new topic?