Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 692 Unique Visitors
9,052 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,455 Page Views | 19,142 Unique Visitors | 25 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
iPadiPad A13LargeQuestion of the Day

Question of the Day: Your thoughts about new Apple iPad with Faster Chip?15583

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user

Screen Grab from Apple.com | Tuesday, September 14, 2021

Hi All,

The WGAN Forum Question of the Day for Tuesday, 14 September 2021:

Your thoughts about new Apple iPad with Faster Chip?

This WGAN Question of the Day was inspired by the Apple announcement today (Tuesday, 14 September 2021):

CNET (14 September 2021) Apple 10.2-inch iPad updated with A13 chip, 64GB storage, 12-megapixel front camera, starts at $329
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Buffalo, New York
GETMYVR private msg quote post Address this user
My 4-year-old Gold iPad Pro 10.5 is about the best technology device I have ever owned. I'm not sure how much faster it can work since I can't even keep up with it now. If I need a camera, I have several that will crush the specs of the new iPad. My new acquisition, Alienware 13.5 inch laptop is a beast and handles editing fast, I have it hooked up to the stand-alone 25" 240MHZ Alienware monitor. I think I'm set, but no doubt Apple makes great tablets. I'm not a gamer, at all; but gaming computers are perfect for creators like us.
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@GETMYVR

I wonder how much time the new iPad would save you versus your existing iPad and if that time-saving would be meaningful to you.

Dan
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Buffalo, New York
@DanSmigrod unless the new iPad can make my matterport camera spin around faster I'm not sure if processing speeds would make too much of a difference you know. Aside from my matterport capture app and then now very rare instance that I actually might use the Zillow app, my iPad's just for casual surfing. Matterport 3D scans just looks so much better on the Zillow website I'm directing my clients towards the highest possible quality not necessarily the cheapest fastest product.

However I knew that the new chip will definitely have some state-of-the-art future benefits but I can definitely wait.
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
@GETMYVR is right. There is no much room left to save on time comparing for example to Ipad pro 2020. It takes only 5-7 seconds to align so a maximum you can save is 4-6 seconds if new iPad can align in 1 second.

I believe people need to pay more intention to storage. I was stupid and got only 256GB version and some of my tours can take 50-80GB of storage. It may be just one or two jobs at this size but I am regularly exporting old jobs to my Windows PC HDD just to free some space.
Post 5 IP   flag post
BenAdgie private msg quote post Address this user
I would be curious to see the RAM of these new devices. The RAM would dictate the alignment speed and ability to add trim marks while aligning. The 2018 iPad Pro had 6GB ram in the 1TB models and 4GB ram in lesser storage models. I wonder if these lower level iPads with higher storage can compete with iPad pros?
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@GETMYVR
@Wingman
@BenAdgie

I wonder if the latest Apple iPad will make large spaces easier to scan.

Some WGAN Forum Members have reported that the latest iPad - fully loaded - enables hundreds of Matterport scans to process.

Dan
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
lilnitsch private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod

The new "Base" iPad may be an upgrade for some folks if using a older base iPad ~ I broke down and purchased the M1 iPad Pro 1TB and I find that it is nite & day faster than my old 2018 iPad Pro 256gb

I also broke down and ordered a new iPhone this morning as well ~ I run two phones on 2 different carriers so, I am trading in my old iPhone 7 and will now be rocking an 11 pro max & the 13 pro max

Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@lilnitsch

Until - if/when - Matterport offers a simple, easy and fast cloud-backup solution, I will always recommend that every Matterporter max-out iPad memory.

Please do share with us how you like your iPhone 13 Pro Max. Might you use it as a "backup" to your iPad for Matterport scanning?

Dan
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
@DanSmigrod

My iPhone purchase is primarily for video production on "banger" property walkthrough videos

I do not like marking up Matterport models on the iPhone I prefer the real estate of an iPad and the ability to use the ApplePencil
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
If not purchasing a Pro iPad ~ I'd recommend the Mini over the base iPad as it has a bit more horsepower & I would also opt for the 256GB models

iPad 256Gb $479

iPad mini 256Gb $649

Post 11 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Costco's email had the new iPad 256gb roughly $30 off & the Mini 256gb roughly $50 off
Post 12 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSmigrod
@GETMYVR
@Wingman
@BenAdgie

I wonder if the latest Apple iPad will make large spaces easier to scan.

I believe Matterport has explained in one of their videos how alignment works. I do not remember the video exact name but it was about scanning with a BLK360.

In a nutshell if you want alignment to be fast & effective you just need to follow a path without jumping from one end to another. It is because when you follow a path scanning it, every next scan will try to align to the previous one without looking at the whole job data. If the app cannot find any common geometry in the previous scan it starts looking at the whole job dataset trying to find a spot where the scan belongs. That's when alignment speed starting to go much slower and having much more RAM and a faster processor can really help. I bet that's when most of regular iPads make the app to crash while a Pro devices with more ram and speed most likely to handle all big data and may be just take 2 much more time to align.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSmigrod

Some WGAN Forum Members have reported that the latest iPad - fully loaded - enables hundreds of Matterport scans to process.

Dan

I am sure they have , at least that's my experience. That racecourse tour I have shown has been done over days. I have had no problems with my iPad and the capture app finding a point to align even after days its first scanning started. And it didn't really matter that the next day I could start away from the point I finished it on a previous day.

However there is something bad that Matterport has announced recently. It has been about disabling any marking while a camera rotates or the app is aligning. It has been said that it is to prevent less powerfull Ipads crashing and photographers losing all previous data. It is actually a bad decision. I have not had this problem on my iPad 2020 those who are on less powerfull IPads should be just aware of what can cause a crash and do not do it at all.
Post 13 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Buffalo, New York
I love the red light analogy. It doesn't matter how clever you think you are working your way through traffic getting ahead of everybody thinking you're ahead of the game. At some point I'm going to catch up to you at a red light.
Post 14 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnitsch
@DanSmigrod

My iPhone purchase is primarily for video production on "banger" property walkthrough videos

I do not like marking up Matterport models on the iPhone I prefer the real estate of an iPad and the ability to use the ApplePencil

All the usual suspects are now able to show the content from the 4 phones they received ~ My 13 pro Max is still in the processing stage

Post 15 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@lilnitsch

I pick up my iPhone 13 Pro this Friday (24 Sept. 2021). I am looking forward to the cinematic mode.

Dan
Post 16 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
@DanSmigrod

I preordered at 5am on launch ~ it's home show season so, I am running

Post 17 IP   flag post
101646 17 17
This topic is archived. Start new topic?