Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 723 Unique Visitors
9,033 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,655 Page Views | 18,601 Unique Visitors | 40 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
BatteriesBattery IssueBattery Not ChargingMatterFixPro2Problems

Matterport Pro2 Battery Issues15571

MAGNOLIA3D private msg quote post Address this user
Hi all!

I've owned same Matterport Pro2 since it came out. It's my main camera I use almost daily.

For years the battery has been amazing. It seems to never drain and has fantastic battery life.

However, lately I've encountered a new issue...

My camera doesn't fully charge! It DOES charge but only to about 7 hours and 54 minutes before stopping.

I've also noticed it drains a lot quicker. Before I could scan for hours and it barely used any battery power. Now it seems to drain dramatically quicker.

Has anybody else had this issue and if so what did you do?

Thanks in advance
Post 1 IP   flag post
Matterport
Camera
Repair Service
Gainesville, Florida
MatterFix private msg quote post Address this user
It could be that your batteries are starting to wear our...although the Matterport batteries are very high quality, all lithium ion batteries have a finite life. As they age, the cells will have less capacity after every charge cycle, but during the first few hundred charge cycles the loss is barely noticeable. Eventually it will become more and more noticeable. At MatterFix we offer battery replacements for all Matterport cameras... the cost is $250 to replace one battery or $400 to replace both batteries. Unless you’re scanning really large jobs, you should be able to get by with your current batteries for a while though.
Post 2 IP   flag post
MAGNOLIA3D private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you for reply, very insightful. Unfortunately, my camera seems to have others too and battery situation getting worse. Now it only charges to 5 hours and drains from 5 to 1 hour after only scanning for maybe 2 hours. So, getting replacement camera from Matterport but great to know this service exists very cool.
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
WGAN-TV Live at 5: Top 10 Matterport Pro1, Pro2 and Pro2 Lite Camera Repairs with @MatterFix Founder Mike Vorce | Wednesday, 11 November 2020

@MAGNOLIA3D

Glad to hear that Matterport will take care of you!

Hi All,

Got a problem with your Matterport Pro 3D Camera?

Transcript: WGAN-TV Top 10 Matterport Pro1, Pro2 & Pro2 Lite Camera Repairs

Free! 12 months of WGAN-TV Training Academy Membership with repairs of $250 or more with @MatterFix

Best,

Dan
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Video: Matterport Battery Issues | Video courtesy of MatterFix YouTube Channel | 27 July 2022

Transcript (video above)

[00:00:11]
Mike Vorce: Hello, this is Mike with MatterFix.io, and this is another one in our series of walkthrough videos that we're doing for the Matterport Service Provider Community.

In these videos, we try and go through common problems that you might encounter with your Matterport camera, how to diagnose the problem and then if a repair is needed, what your repair options are. Today we're going to talk about batteries.

As you well know, batteries functioning correctly is integral to having your Matterport camera work correctly. If you've got a battery issue, a lot of times you're out of luck until you get it fixed. Or maybe you're thinking about buying a used camera or you have some other battery issue, we're going to try and walk you through how to diagnose those problems and what your options might be. Basically, Matterport has designed a proprietary battery pack for their cameras. This is a very high-quality lithium ion battery pack.

As long as you keep it charged up, you should never have to replace them. I think I've only had one instance where the battery life had decreased to the point where we suggested to the customer to go ahead and replace them. If you charge them, occasionally keep the charge of a right, you should be able to use them indefinitely.

As I said, this is proprietary design. You can't buy an off-the-shelf battery or in a place it in there. Matterport is very particular and rightfully so about how their batteries are handled, manufactured and installed. Lithium-ion batteries can if the battery is nicked or punctured, if the battery charge level gets too low, lithium ion cells can become unstable and even in extreme case combust. It's really important not to try and do any battery related work yourself. It needs to be done by us or done by Matterport.

Now, there's three different models of the cameras currently out now there's the Pro1, the Pro2 and the Pro2 lite. The Pro1 and the Pro2 each have two battery packs in them. These are both Matterport batteries. They're both functional.

This is just the older version of them, that this is a newer version, same battery pack interchangeable. They've just improve the protection on this one. The Pro1, the Pro2 have two batteries each. The Pro2 lite has one battery. Other than that, it's the same as the Pro2 camera.

That's the basics there on what's in the cameras. Now, another concept to understand is that the batteries have three different states, that they can be in. Your normal operating state, mean the battery is fully functional. You plug the charger in, the LED panel, lights up, it starts charging the battery. The battery charges to 100 percent or full stops charging. You go out, use the camera and battery level goes down and come back in and repeat. The battery takes a full charge, discharges, that's the normal state.

Now, the second state of battery can be in is like I guess you'd call it asleep state. Like I said, the Matterport or lithium ion batteries can become unstable if the charge level gets too low. If you haven't used your camera for an extended period of time and the battery level drops to a certain point, that battery is going to go into a sleep state.

Now, it's still okay as long as you don't leave it in that state too long when you plug it in, should wake up and refresh and start operating normally.

That's the second state, call it the sleep state. Then the third state where you don't want to let your batteries go is when it gets to a lower threshold, the battery is going to sense the voltage is getting too low and it's going to say, hey, we need to protect us battery, you need to keep some charge in it.

At that point, there's going to be a kill switch that's going to be activated inside the battery, and then that battery is no longer serviceable, it's not repairable and it's going to have to be replaced. That talks about the different cameras, what batteries are in them and conceptually you have the three different than normal operating state that in a sleep mode and then after the kill switch, the dead battery.

Now I'm going to change the camera angle and we're going to walk you through a couple of different scenarios and how to diagnose what's going on with the batteries in your particular instance. As we've always said, if you don't understand something or you see something different in that, feel free to contact us. Message us on Facebook, whatever we're here to help you.

We'll see you on the other side. We've talked about the basics of the batteries that are in the Matterport camera. Now let's go through how you test to see what is going on with the batteries in a particular camera. This is an old beater Pro1 that I have that I use for testing battery. The board in the charging circuitry and the little panel that is fully functional in it.

First of all, obviously you want to have good charger. You have any questions about your charges, we have another video we've gotten where you can troubleshoot and determine whether or not a charger is functioning correctly. Always, when you plug a good charger into a camera, that's probably functioning okay, immediately when you plug it in, the OLED panel should light up.

If you plug in, let's simulate it not working correctly, you plug in like this and nothing happens, then you have another problem. The batteries may be good or maybe bad. You don't know anything about the batteries at this point.

There is another problem in the camera, and this can be the charger port can be bad. Your charger could not be working correctly, there could be a problem. This OLED panel could be out, could be one of a number of issues.

In this case, it would probably be best for you to contact us and we can walk you through how to diagnose what's going on in that case. First case, if you plug it in and nothing happens, you don't know anything about the batteries and we need to troubleshoot a different way.

Now the most likely scenario is when you plug in immediately, a little OLED panel is going to come on and it's going to tell you what the status of the battery is this. Now, in this case, this is simulating bad battery. I've got some bad batteries here. I'm going to plug two of them in.

[00:07:20]
Mike Vorce: Now I happen to know that these batteries are bad, but just because you plug it in and it goes to 0 percent. Now it says it's charging, but it won't go back, say 0 percent. Just because you plug it in and it says 0 percent, it doesn't seem to be taking a charge.

These batteries could be in that it's a de-energized state before they go bad, where the power has gotten so low, the battery circuitry says

[00:07:54]
Mike Vorce: I need to cut off the charging here because I'm not sure what's going on with these batteries. What you want to do if you get the 0 percent is you want to pull it in the charger and you want to leave it plugged in for three or four hours or ideally overnight.

If the batteries are in that mid state, they'll take a trickle charge from the charger and they'll eventually wake up. You may check it the next morning and one or both of the batteries might be good. What you've got here 0 is telling you your charges working the cameras okay.

The batteries currently are not taking a charge. Let them charge for awhile. See they might wait one or both might wake up. That's Scenario 1. Now, if you get up the next morning or whenever and it still says 0, that means both of those batteries are bad and they're going to have to be replaced.

They have a third stage and the batteries when the charge gets so low, there's a fail-safe circuit on the battery management boards that basically kills the batterie and at that point, they can't be refreshed, they can't be repaired, they have to be replaced.

That's too bad batteries. Now, let's look at what might happen if you have one bad battery and one good battery. I'm going to plug in a good battery here and I'm going to plug it in the charger.

[00:09:21]
Mike Vorce: You see this is reading 60 percent and it's taking a charge. Now what's going to happen here since I have a good battery and a bad battery is this charge is only being applied to the good battery, so eventually within a few minutes, probably it's going to top off that good battery and it's going to stop charging.

If you Plugin a Pro1 or a Pro2 camera and you let it charged for awhile, but it stops around 50 to 60 percent and goes to that fast blinking light and indicates that it's not taking a charge anymore then that tells you one of those two batteries in that camera is bad, is going to need to be replaced. That's the one bad battery.

Now let's one good battery, one bad battery. Now let's simulate the normal thing where you have two good batteries and a camera so unplug that bad battery, I plug in a second known good battery and I plug it in the charger, boom, it says battery full. Now, it's still you notice you have the slow blinking light once every two seconds that and you have the lightning bolt. That means the camera is applying the charge to the batteries, but it's just going to top them off pretty soon.

If I left this plug-in for 20 minutes or so, those batteries are going to be topped off and it's going to go to 100 percent. The light's going to start blinking rapidly which means whenever the light s blinking rapidly, that means the charger is not applying a charge to the batteries. When it gets to that point, it'll, it'll stop charging.

In this case you have two good batteries in this camera. Now they only difference in this is the Pro2 light when it comes from the factory it only has one battery in it. When you're testing one of those, it's going to operate basically like the Pro2. It's either you're going to plug it in. It should start taking a charge, and it should charge to 100 percent.

If you plug in a Pro2 light and it starts taking a charge in our experience then the battery is good, the cameras good to go. Now, that covers the basics of the batteries as far as testing to know what the state of the batteries are in a camera and we're going to wrap it up here and I'll give you a few options for getting the repairs done.

We've walked you through the basics of the batteries that are in the Matterport cameras, and we've walked you through how to diagnose. Just to recap that real quickly, you plugged the charger in and nothing happens at all.

Led panel doesn't light up. It's not necessarily a battery problem of factor, you don't know anything about the battery at that point. You got another issue with the cameras. In that case contact us we can help you diagnose it.

But you plug it in. The OLED panel lights off as it should and it says 0 percent that means that the chargers good, the cameras reacting the way it should be, and it's trying to charge the see if it can supply a charge to the batteries.

If you leave it plugged in for three or four hours or overnight and you wait, go back and check it and it is still at 0 percent, that means both of those batteries are bad and needed to be replaced. If you plug it in, let it charge up, and it charges up to 50 percent, that would apply to a Pro1 and aPro2 which you have two batteries each.

If it only charges to 50 percent or 60 percent, somewhere in that range. That means you have one good battery and one bad battery. If you plug it in and it charges up to a 100 percent or over 50 percent, it's to be safe, say at charges over 60 percent.

A Pro1 or a Pro2 if the charge is over 60 percent, you know that both of the batteries are taking a charge and both of those batteries are probably fine.

That goes step just to recap of diagnosing the batteries. Now, the battery replacements, Matterport is very selective, rightfully so about who can do replacements and work related to batteries on their cameras. But as I discussed before, lithium-ion battery packs, if you damage the outside of them, that can be a real problem. If they're punctured, they can start to combust.

If they charge level gets too low, the battery packs can become unstable. For safety reasons. Matterport only permits, right currently now, they can do battery replacements and weakened do battery replacements, so you can't really needs to be sent in to one of us is the batteries. Any of the batteries need to be replaced.

At MatterFix.io the cost to do the battery replacements currently what the cost is if you need one battery replaced, it's $250 plus return shipping. If you need both batteries replaced, it's $400 plus returns shipping.

Typically, we complete our repairs and send cameras back to customers for standard repairs. We complete the repair its end, the camera back to customers the day after we receive it.

If you're in a real bind and you ship to us via UPS and notify us ahead of time. A lot of times we can complete a repair the same day and send the camera back here if you were in a real rush. We do warranty or repair work for one year and we'd love to help you out. If you have a repair issue with your Matterport camera, you can messages on Facebook. Email is info@MatterFixed.io. I believe we have our phone number on our website so feel free to reach out to us and we look forward to helping you. Thanks.
Post 5 IP   flag post
101421 5 5
This topic is archived. Start new topic?