Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
BLK2FLYBLK360Boston DynamicsLidarRobotsSkydioSpot

Leica Announces BLK Paired with Robot and Drone for Autonomous Scanning15545

WGAN
Standard
Los Angeles
Home3D private msg quote post Address this user
Leica today announced two new Lidar-based autonomous scanning systems. One is a new, smaller BLK360-style lidar scanner mounted to a Boston Dynamics "Spot" robo-dog, BD's very successful first commercial robot. The other is their BLK2FLY autonomous lidar-scanning aerial drone, announced to be available within months.

Rest easy, these are going to be very expensive systems suitable for well-financed entities where special capabilities are worth the cost. Imagine the need to scan inside a contaminated nuclear plant, for example.

But the message I share here is that we always need to look to the future and search our own creativity to provide services that cannot easily be performed by an autonomous robot. Remember that what is very expensive today will be very affordable in only a few years. In time, Uber and Lyft drivers WILL be replaced by autonomous systems. Millions of today's long-haul truck drivers will face the same fate.

Keep up your learning and study ways to be of great service while employing creativity and always go beyond what you did last week. It's the way to survive, thrive, and it keeps you forever young, mentally if not physically!

Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
I think they have gone to far by placing it on a $70 000 Boston Dynamics Spot dog. That is for sure will make it very expensive solution.
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Home3D
Rest easy, these are going to be very expensive systems suitable for well-financed entities where special capabilities are worth the cost. Imagine the need to scan inside a contaminated nuclear plant, for example.

True about some dangerous places but any remote controlled dolly with a FPV camera will do the same. I do not mean autonomous capture but controlled from a distance one just to be safe.

I do not really think Leica aims at affordability of their systems. It is more like they pick the best available without thinking of a price tag for their product. They could use that small dog manufacturer I posted about and work with them to make a robot dog that can cost 1/10th of a spot dog and still able to carry a scanner.
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN
3rd Party
Service
Beijing
JuMP private msg quote post Address this user
@Wingman Chinese Company XiaoMi released their CyberDog last month at RMB9999.00 (~1.5KUSD)

Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Video: Introducing Leica BLK ARC: Autonomous Reality Capture for Robots | Video courtesy of Leica BLK YouTube Channel | 7 September 2021

@Home3D

Thank you for being the first to post this news (and commentary).

I added the video (above) introducing the:

1. BLK ARC (Autonomous Reality Capture) paired with SPOT Robot from BostonDynamics
2. BLK GrandSLAM Technology

More Info: www.BLKARC.com

Best,

Dan
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Video: BLK2FLY Autonomous Reality Capture | Video courtesy of Leica BLK YouTube Channel | 7 September 2021

Video: Introducing BLK2FLY: Autonomous Flying Laser Scanner | Video courtesy of Leica BLK YouTube Channel | 7 September 2021

@Home3D

Thank you (again) for being the first to post this news (and commentary).

I added the video (above) introducing the:

✓ BLK2FLY - Autonomous Flying Laser Scanner

Leica says it is the first fully integrated autonomous LiDAR UAV. I am not sure that I understand the difference between this and the Skydio 3D scans.

Dan
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Video: Leica BLK ARC and Boston Dynamics Spot: Fully Autonomous Reality Capture | Video courtesy of Leica BLK YouTube Channel | 7 September 2021
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Video: AI robots take off, with Boston Dynamics | Video courtesy of Digital Engine YouTube Channel | 8 July 2021

Hi All,

While this video (above) does not mention 360 cameras mashups with robots, it is super-inspiring about the possibilities.

Dan
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Buffalo, New York
GETMYVR private msg quote post Address this user
@Home3D @DanSmigrod @JuMP @Wingman Wow, this is pretty incredible. When I saw the BLKFLY, my brain went crazy with the potential and opportunities. As well with the BLKARC, and it's funny that I envisioned this type of thing when Wingman started talking about his robot project. Woof!
Post 9 IP   flag post
Fast Start
Websites
Peterborough, United Kingdom
angusnorriss private msg quote post Address this user
What is the price?
Post 10 IP   flag post
Fast Start
Websites
Peterborough, United Kingdom
angusnorriss private msg quote post Address this user
Not convinced yet.
Post 11 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Buffalo, New York
GETMYVR private msg quote post Address this user
$56,000 USD for the drone. Probably worth the investment if you can find numerous property management companies with large buildings that you can provide a very solid visual inspection annually, with a contract. If you can make 5 to 10,000 a week shooting with the drone that's about a half a million dollars a year in profit. I'd do it.
Post 12 IP   flag post
101429 12 12
This topic is archived. Start new topic?