Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 692 Unique Visitors
9,052 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,455 Page Views | 19,142 Unique Visitors | 28 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
BLK360Leica BLK360Scam

BLK360 owners, I may buy it but I have a few questions15386

WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerialpixels
So your use case for the BLK is not for matterport?
Can you share how else you use the BLK?

It turns out there are services that can convert 3D and visual data from LiDar scanners into a virtual tour. I have just registered on laser scanning forum and look at what I have found there as a service offering 3D virtual tours from laser data and pano images with Benaco

I do not think photogrammetry will ever compete with LiDAR scanning. It is ok for small object and spaces but I do not think it is ever going to be a threat for big ones.
Post 26 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Birmingham, Alabama
rko1 private msg quote post Address this user
The Field 360 app is free to scan. The Register 360 app is about $1,200 US. Almost everything with Leica has an associated charge, and it is not cheap, help video included. It is an investment but in our case well worth it. We are very close to buying a second system so that we can cut our project time down substantially. That is for the larger projects which we can see coming, based on what we have done, and what there appears to be on the horizon.
Post 27 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
I got it yesterday. I am testing it now and I'd love to ask some extra questions. However I will watch some the videos first posted in the following thread

- Leica BLK360 + Matterport Questions from a WGAN-TV Viewer

BTW, I have found cheap batteries for the BLK360. $125 AUD on ebay for two batteries and a charger. Just search by battery product # GEB212

As for the field 360 app it is free but it needs a login. You can open an account but to activate it you need to have an entitlement ID. It only comes with Register 360 which is not free.. about $1930 AUD per year. I have got a trial ID for 15 days from the distributor however so I will try using my BLK360 outside of Matterport system when I can.

And as a sneak peek I have tree big tours that are going into processing soon. Two are slightly less than 700 scans and one is over 1200 scans. All have been done with a Matterport Pro2. I hope they won't come as a screw up and process successfully. I will share them in a separate thread.
Post 28 IP   flag post
MatterTag
Export-Import
Service
Lower Hutt, New Zealand
HomePlanNZ private msg quote post Address this user
I've been offline for a while, SO glad you didn't go with the first one you mentioned as I got scammed out of $16k a few years back from false seller. If anyone wants a BLK at a reasonable price, PM me....
Post 29 IP   flag post
ThinkLab private msg quote post Address this user
@Wingman I used a BLK on two very big shoots.

Worklflow : 1 / 10 - Takes forever to do one scan 3 - 4 min depending on quality

Overheating : 5 / 10 - If you work in hot environment , camera will start overheating in the first 20 min of use. Solution Cooler box with cold beer or Ice to dunk it in and cool it off

Outputs 5 /. 10 : depends if you are just shooting to use in Matterport ( can get away with lower setting and 2 - 3 min per scan point ) , If you need to give you client useful accurate data then will take longer and your Matterport image quality won't be that good. Mastering CAD or cleaning up the scanned data , to give your clients useful outputs and not just a virtual tour.

Pros : You can cover larger areas with one scan, fills in well. Distance between scans upto 20 meters , Give your clients 1000x more accurate measurements than the 1 inch variances you get on Matterport, BLK also more reliable than Matterport. Leica is not doing any upgrades on the BLK for another while so its safe to buy it, the tech is so advanced that when an upgrade will come , you will only need to upgraded firmware.

Conclusion : expensive doorstap = ROI = New products coming to Market = outdated = no data security + self hosting.

SAMPLE
Post 30 IP   flag post

Expertise private msg quote post Address this user
Just goes to show you how great the Matterport hardware is. And the software.

It's the (upper management) wetware that sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkLab
@Wingman I used a BLK on two very big shoots.

Worklflow : 1 / 10 - Takes forever to do one scan 3 - 4 min depending on quality

Overheating : 5 / 10 - If you work in hot environment , camera will start overheating in the first 20 min of use. Solution Cooler box with cold beer or Ice to dunk it in and cool it off

Outputs 5 /. 10 : depends if you are just shooting to use in Matterport ( can get away with lower setting and 2 - 3 min per scan point ) , If you need to give you client useful accurate data then will take longer and your Matterport image quality won't be that good. Mastering CAD or cleaning up the scanned data , to give your clients useful outputs and not just a virtual tour.

Pros : You can cover larger areas with one scan, fills in well. Distance between scans upto 20 meters , Give your clients 1000x more accurate measurements than the 1 inch variances you get on Matterport, BLK also more reliable than Matterport. Leica is not doing any upgrades on the BLK for another while so its safe to buy it, the tech is so advanced that when an upgrade will come , you will only need to upgraded firmware.

Conclusion : expensive doorstap = ROI = New products coming to Market = outdated = no data security + self hosting.

SAMPLE
Post 31 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Actually about the upgrades. There are some late BLK360 units that are coming with a USB port installed in them(check your battery compartment). Leica has recently made firmware that allows to use that port for data transfer via a USB cable. Earlier BLK360 units do not have any USB port on them but have a placeholder for them to be installed.

Somebody on laser scanning forum has explained that if you do not have the USB port Leica will install it when you send your unit to them for calibration. I do not remember exact fee but it is about $1200.

So if you have the port already just update your firmware and you can use the port to transfer 3d data to your PC.
Post 32 IP   flag post
101641 32 7
This topic is archived. Start new topic?