Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Capture AppProblemsUrgent

URGENT! Help! Capture app won't open (10 AM EDT Tuesday, August 3, 2021)15361

WGAN
Basic Member
Boston
Noddy private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Forum,
So I have a problem with capture app not opening. I just see the black screen with MP logo, and after about 10 seconds it reverts to the main ipad screen. Matterport have done their best to help, but say it must be my device. I have latest versions of Ios and MP software, and have closed all background apps.
It is a newer ipad Pro 11", with 1TB of memory (which is half full).
Matterport suggests it is some kind of RAM memory issue, but I don't know how to check that or clear it out. The iPad has the maximum that you can get, 16 GB I believe.

Can anyone tell me if they had the same issue and how to resolve it without deleting the app?
Any help would be much appreciated!

Noddy
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
New York City
3dVuz private msg quote post Address this user
I have the exact same problem. Sometimes takes 10-15 attempts.
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Cayman Islands
Harrycayman private msg quote post Address this user
Hi
same problem. So to make it work i had to reboot the iPad hard reboot. pain in the ass but that's the only way to clear the back ground of apps. So you hold the power button and the home button at same time until the apple logo appears and then let go. The Ram i believe is being used with other apps. My iPad is 4 years old and came with only 5 GB ram . I have ordered a new iPad after Matterport suggestion. But what you are saying is that it has trouble with 16 Gb ram that's not good. I was able to scan 4 0r 5 scans and then the app does not respond and you have to close it and it does not open back up until hard reboot.

I hope Matterport look's into it more as this was last Thursday and have not scanned since so don't know if problem persists.

harry
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN
Basic Member
Boston
Thanks for your responses 3DVuz and Harry,

So here's an update, -I took the iPad to my local Mac Guru repair shop, and after I explained that I have over 500 GB of scan data that is crucial not to lose, we decided that the only way to really have no risk with the data was for me to transfer everything onto another 1 TB iPad, see if the app then works, and then try things on the old iPad to fix it (clearing out app cache, etc). If all goes well, I'll then have a spare iPad to sell or use as back up for when I fill up the new one. Seems drastic I know, but I just can't risk losing the raw scan data from the past 6 months of work on a large project.

Once we get to the point of actually trying to fix the old iPad, I'll post what was done to fix it (if it succeeds!) Fingers crossed.. I am not knowledgable about iPads or Apple stuff in general, PC's are my thing, so you all might know better ways to do this

My Guru doubts that it's actually a hardware problem, we'll see
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Cayman Islands
Hi Noddy

Yes keep us posted with how the problem gets solved or does it?
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN
Basic Member
Boston
Hi Harry & 3dVuz,
Here's another update on the ipad app not opening issue:

So my local Mac guru mirrored / backed up the entire iPad onto his MAc computer, then loaded the entire backup onto a new iPad 1TB that I bought. After doing this, the Matterport app did open,all data is there and I'm up and running again on the new iPad. That's the good news, but the not so good news is:
He then erased and restored the old iPad with the backup data, but when we tried to open the capture app it still didn't work!

So, now he's trying various diagnostics to see if the iPad has a hardware problem, but it seems like it must. This is quite worrying as it could happen to any of us, and it's a very drastic fix to have to get another iPad and do this...

It actually took about 7 hrs to back up the data (0.5 TB) onto his computer, and then another 6 or 7 hrs to install the backup onto the new iPad, which surprised me , (but I think because he has an older Mac computer with mechanical drive not solid state).
Still hoping to find a fix for this problem so that old iPad can be used for Matterport again, but
for now, still holding my breath! I'll send another update if anything new is learned.

I was wondering if (on a newer iPad which has apple care), would Apple somehow come to the rescue here.. but the iPad it happened to was bought used so no joy on that one.
How are you guys getting on with the same problem? Good luck.
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Cayman Islands
Hi Noddy

That's interesting. So I'm waiting on new ipad . i thought the new ipad can take all the info from the cloud and put on new ipad without having to restore to a computer for 7 hours as im running about 487 gigs out of 500 right now. just on capture app.
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrycayman
Hi Noddy

That's interesting. So I'm waiting on new ipad . i thought the new ipad can take all the info from the cloud and put on new ipad without having to restore to a computer for 7 hours as im running about 487 gigs out of 500 right now. just on capture app.

It does not need to do anything with a PC. You need to backup everything into the iCloud and restore from there onto a new one. If you have 500GB of data make sure you have a really good connection as you are going to download it on your new iPad to get all data back to it.

I am close to a limit on my iPad but I do have at least two jobs with 1200 and 900 scans that yet to be processed. These two jobs alone can eat 40-60GB easy from iPad 256GB storage.
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN
Basic Member
Boston
Yes it can be done from the cloud / iTunes and you shouldn't need a computer, but I didn't have my iPad backed up to iTunes, going forward I will though.
Still no word on whether my original iPad is fixable...
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN
Basic Member
Boston
Last note on this issue, I wanted to let you know the final sequence of events FYI:

1) ipad app wouldn't open. iPad was a 1TB iPad Pro with approx 500GB of Matterport data on it
2) Couldn't risk losing the data, and had no icloud back up, so we backed up the entire iPad to a Mac desktop, then bought a new 1TB iPad pro, and installed the backup from the Mac onto it. The app opened, and all is well after a week of scanning with the new iPad.
3)for the old iPad we then tried erasing and re-installing the backup data onto it, hoping it would be fixed -it wasn't! The app still wouldn't open.
4) So we erased the old iPad again, and just downloaded /installed Matterport capture app (without all the data) -it worked, the app opens, and it scans fine.

So the exasperating thing is -we don't really know what happened with the old iPad. Tests show no problems with the device itself.

I can only conclude that either it's a random fault that occurred with the device OR there is a problem / bug with the Matterport capture app, that only shows up when there is a lot of scan data (~500 GB+) on the device.

If anyone has thoughts or any experience to add, please let me know.
Who knows if it will re-occur? I will now back up the ipad to icloud regularly just in case.
The only advice I got from Matterport techs was to try fully closing out the background apps on the iPad and re-starting (something about possible RAM build up that I didn't understand). That didn't work for me, but in case it affects anything, I now daily close all the background apps including capture, before turning off the iPad.
The whole thing cost me lost days of work, & cost of a new iPad, but at least I have a spare or could sell one. Hope you all are lucky enough to not have this issue
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Cayman Islands
Hi

issue seems to have resolved itself. i too have no problems now so not sure and cost me a new ipad too.

harry
Post 11 IP   flag post
101429 11 11
This topic is archived. Start new topic?