Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 692 Unique Visitors
9,052 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,455 Page Views | 19,142 Unique Visitors | 25 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
BugConvection CentreExamplesExtra FloorLargeProblems

Example: Matterport 3D Tour of a Convection Centre (with 730 Scan Points)15182

WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user

This is to share an experience with scanning something quite big. I have been planning to do it figuring out the best distance between scans as I have been given only 12 hours to scan it. It incudes charging an Ipad at least twice to 100%.

The idea was to scan a foyer and concourse first while it's blocked for public access. Then I could go inside meeting/boarding rooms and exhibitions halls and let public walk in the foyer and the concourse.

I carefully tested at home how much space I could have between scans in these two long corridors and it looked like I could do it with 4 steps.

when I started scanning though it seemed that I could do 5.5 steps and each scan overlapped and there was no problem with alignment. So instead of doing three lines of scans in each corridor I got away with two and reduced amount of scans required for each line.

So everything was great until I started scanning rooms with entrances alongside of the concourse corridor. Sine rooms were staged for scanning and they were required much less spaced scanning the length of these rooms were calculated more precisely that the total lens of concourse corridor the whole model started to push the length of the corridor. So with every room scanned the corridor length seemed to have missing about 2m of length. So much of accuracy for Matterport when it does not complain about alignment but gives you accuracy of 5-10%.

I have had to redo the end of the concourse just to closely represent its end. I have also added 1-2 extra lines of scanning to each long corridor and close to walls just to correct some problems.

So in my 3D dollhouse at this point you can see some white-greyish junk that should not be there.

See attached screenshot.

it is not the only bad spot, there are plenty of errors in the foyer that goes down in my screenshot. The concourse corridor is going to the left.

Also Matterport has added a second floor to it without me doing anything. It is ridiculous as it is empty with no scans and I cannot even delete it. It may be a bug in the Capture because I renamed the floor I was working on to Level 1 during scanning. However it was an edit for a floor name only, I did not add any new floor. And I still see only one floor(Level 1) in the minimap on my iPad.

Now the lessons learnt:

1) scan more frequently if you do something long and wide. Matterport is ok aligning scans that have 5 and even 6 steps between them but accuracy generated over 50 meters with scans sitting that far away is quite bad.
2)when you plug your Ipad/Pro2 to recharge do not forget to flip a power outlet switch. I did no do it, went for a lunch and came back to where I started with IPad charging.

BTW, I could finish it in 12 hours, even did an extra small room(green room at the end of the concourse) for them that was not originally quoted.
However I would have less problems and more accurate data if I could stick with an original plan to scan all corridors in three lines with no more than 3-4 steps between them.

The tour has over 730 scans but most of them are hidden because there were done to scan from a wall to a wall or to eliminate missing cloud point data for a nice dollhouse view.

And as usually, the capture minimap is almost useless during scanning. it shows some errors that will be fixed in the tour and does not show those that will appear in the tour.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Matterport
Camera
Repair Service
Gainesville, Florida
MatterFix private msg quote post Address this user
I’d say it came out pretty good! Great tips for us to consider for this type of space. Have you considered using power bank on your ipad? I have it set up so i can velcro a battery to the back of my ipad when needed...works great.
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@Wingman

Congrats on this project. Awesome! 730 Scan Points! WOW! Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Wingman
Also Matterport has added a second floor to it without me doing anything. It is ridiculous as it is empty with no scans and I cannot even delete it. It may be a bug in the Capture because I renamed the floor I was working on to Level 1 during scanning. However it was an edit for a floor name only, I did not add any new floor. And I still see only one floor(Level 1) in the minimap on my iPad.

This is a known issue with Matterport. Floor Labels are for your visualization only. The mini-map floors does not tell Matterport processing that it is one floor.

I believe some WGAN Members have had some success eliminating the extra floor by making some trim mark changes and reprocessing.

You might open a support ticket with Matterport and see what they say. (Please do share with us.)

Thanks again for sharing this super-large example of a Matterport 3D Tour and your tactics for completing it.

Best,

Dan
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSmigrod
This is a known issue with Matterport. Floor Labels are for your visualization only. The mini-map floors does not tell Matterport processing that it is one floor.

The problem is the whole space scanned is on one level only, a job in the Capture app has one level only so I am not sure where the 2nd floor has come from.

Anyway I have submitted a support ticket and got a reply that they are going to check it with 3 business days, remove the extra floor and fix misalignment.
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by @Wingman
he problem is the whole space scanned is on one level only, a job in the Capture app has one level only so I am not sure where the 2nd floor has come from.

Anyway I have submitted a support ticket and got a reply that they are going to check it with 3 business days, remove the extra floor and fix misalignment.

@Wingman

Yes. This Matterport extra floor problem gets discussed in the WGAN Forum about every three months. It's one of the Matterport mysteries of the Universe.

(The problem is NOT something that you did wrong.)

That's great news that Matterport will fix the problem. In the past, WGAN Forum Members have reported that Matterport said there was nothing that it could do to fix this problem.

Please do let us know once Matterport fixes the problem for your model.

Thanks,

Dan
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
It has finally been repaired by Matterport. It has taken a few "we cannot do it" followed by "we are going to fix it" messages but I believe they have done a great job. They have removed the fake floor generated by their AI and they actually have fixed a lot of bad spots with 3D data.

Have a look
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSmigrod
That's great news that Matterport will fix the problem. In the past, WGAN Forum Members have reported that Matterport said there was nothing that it could do to fix this problem.

It could be a name of my partner(they have their own account) or a name of their client that has played some role. But they sent me a two confusing replies regarding my ticket saying they could not help and then in a few minutes another reply came that they were going to fix it.
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatterFix
Have you considered using power bank on your ipad?

I actually took a powerbank with me on that job but I forgot a normal USB2 - Type C cable. So I could not use it.

I used it on this Monday though when I was doing hotel venues but it did not seem to be as claimed in capacity.
I have bought this one https://www.kmart.com.au/product/portable-charger-dual-port---8,000mah/2165810 I think it has a wrong capacity specified.

It is claimed to be 8000mA while my Ipad battery is under 7600mA
It cannot charge my Ipad Pro 2020 to 100% before completelly depleting to 0% It is most likely to be no more than 5000-6000mA.

It does help to scan for another 1-2 hours though if plugged. Actually yesterday doing the venues I run my Pro2 down to the ground. I was hoping to finish and only was missing 5 scans to complete a huge 4 bedroom hotel suite(more like a residence than a suite). My Pro2 went down to 1% and told me to charge the camera. I was worried I had to come back to do these missing 5 scans but it turn out great without these scans.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Matterport
Camera
Repair Service
Gainesville, Florida
I’ve found that a lot of the powerbanks being sold do not match their stated mah capacities. I’ve had the best results with “Amazon Basics” 20,000 mah pacs.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Matterport
Camera
Repair Service
Gainesville, Florida
BTW - Great job! Thanks for sharing the learnings!
Post 10 IP   flag post
Virtour private msg quote post Address this user
@Wingman - this is awesome work all around. Thank you so much for sharing not only the model but your insights, tips, and takeaways. I imagine not too many folks could film a space like this as successfully as you have - I hope your client appreciates it!

All the best,
Noah
Post 11 IP   flag post
101646 11 11
This topic is archived. Start new topic?