Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
RobotsROSSUnitree

Robots for 360 photographer to automate or semi automate capturing process15111

WGAN Fan
Club Member
Buffalo, New York
GETMYVR private msg quote post Address this user
@Wingman I saw the robot Segway created and with a BLK360 type camera could do some damage.

https://robotics.segway.com/
Post 51 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks @GETMYVR I will check.

I am actually not working with the tank idea anymore. I will probably sell it. It is just too noisy and its metal tracks can be too dangerous to a floor.

What I figured out instead you can get a mobility scooter(the one seniors using to move) and modify it to make a robot from it. There is even a video with one being converted that way.

So I got an old working scooter for $250 AUD, bought two new 50AH car batteries and that what I will try to turn into a robot.

I will need about $1000 AUD for parts to do it which I do not have now. So until I get more funds I and my kids are riding it around our house so they can get some driving experience :-)
Post 52 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@Wingman

TechCrunch (30 March 2022) Boston Dynamics’ logistics robot is available for purchase

Dan
Post 53 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia

Post 54 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
I purchased something very cool(powered smart wheels) for my camera dolly project and planning to do two versions of an electric camera dolly with it. One is for indoor and includes making a frame for my manfrotto tripod to use it indoors on a smooth floor and the other is for using on a rover outdoor.

The Smart wheels have been created & sold for using them with golf carts turning push ones into electric. RRP for them is quite high($1500 AUD for a pair) but I could get used one in great condition for $700 AUD.

They are cool invention with a bluetooth control and even batteries built in them. You can hook them to any frame with a bit of work, turn them on and start controlling them with the remote including steering control.

So far I do not know if I can control them programmatically(need to talk with their manufacturer to see if they have SDK/API for them) but the fact that as soon as I put the frame for dolly together and add mounting points for the wheels, add something like a pram swivel castor at the front I have the whole tripod dolly ready makes it very simple to put together fast.

Post 55 IP   flag post

WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
The wheels have come today. They are bigger and heavier than I expected but it's fine with me. I have an old DIY wheeled timber cart that I built years ago to move heavy things around. I am using its frame as a prototype with these wheels.

I will post a video with it riding around soon.
Post 56 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
This is a prototype of my future camera rover with smart wheels designed for golf carts & called Concourse Smart wheels s2. They have even batteries built in them and they work in pair synchronised to allow a full movement control from a Bluetooth remote controller.
It is better always start with a prototype even when it looks ugly. Saves a lot on making mistakes later when you are ready to build a metal frame

Post 57 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
I have forgotten to mention that forward movement is constant. Once you press the forward arrow you do not need to hold it-it will keep moving with a constant speed by itself. Holding it or pressing it again increase max speed. I sometimes forget it, it goes to maximum speed(about 10km/h) and I have to break to prevent it crashing into something on its way.
Post 58 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman
This is a prototype of my future camera rover with smart wheels designed for golf carts & called Concourse Smart wheels s2. They have even batteries built in them and they work in pair synchronised to allow a full movement control from a Bluetooth remote controller.
It is better always start with a prototype even when it looks ugly. Saves a lot on making mistakes later when you are ready to build a metal frame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman
I have forgotten to mention that forward movement is constant. Once you press the forward arrow you do not need to hold it-it will keep moving with a constant speed by itself. Holding it or pressing it again increase max speed. I sometimes forget it, it goes to maximum speed(about 10km/h) and I have to break to prevent it crashing into something on its way.

@Wingman

Very-Very-Very cool!

I look forward to seeing how your camera rover develops.

Thanks for sharing your progress with us.

Best,

Dan
Post 59 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
I have figured out that If I swap the power wheels making the left wheel sitting on the right side and vice versa I can actually have the power wheels at the front of my rover which makes turning almost seamless without correcting castors direction which makes the rover to jerk slightly until castors direction is corrected. So I probably go that way as backwards driving and capturing at the same time most likely never be needed.

Now I am up to building a frame from square metal tubing. I wanted to give it to a pro in our local shed community and I may still go that way.
However I want to learn some basic welding skills to at least have them when something needs to be welded at my house.

For that I have bought already everything required for welding(arc welder, protection, a table) and cutting metal tubes(metal saw). All is quite cheap in DIY versions. I will probably ask the pro to do welding for me anyway but happy to pay extra if I am present and he comments on what he is doing so I get some idea how to do it myself. I would try it without his help with practising doing a frame but I am afraid to ruin the adapters that are supplied with the wheels. If I ruin them they may be very costly to replace.

BTW, this version is for me to build and use it quickly. I still have an idea to build a rover from robotic parts in a way anybody can do it with the same parts. According to my calculation all parts apart from an actual frame, a battery cost and dressing it with some nice looking skin should cost no more than $500 USD.

These power wheels unfortunately do not come with any SDk or API so you cannot add any extra hardware to your rover as this hardware won't be able to send any command to the wheels. However the version with robotic parts can be extended almost with anything you want(cameras, lidars, cheap obstacle avoidance). Of course it will be up to build and program all extra hardware by its owner. Initial built that will just let you to drive your rover with a RC remote won't need any coding at all and only will be required connect everything to tune the RC transmitter to handle a maximum speed, acceleration and breaking.
Post 60 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Wingman

Do not burn down your house!

Dan
Post 61 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Video: Introduction to the Leica BLK ARC with Andy Fontana | Video courtesy of Leica BLK YouTube Channel | 20 June 2022

@Wingman

Video above for inspiration.

Dan
Post 62 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Tom's Hardware (29 June 2022) Raspberry Pi Robot Maps Its World with LiDAR

@Wingman

For inspiration

Dan
Post 63 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Jus want to post an update on what is going with my robot/rover projects. The robot one is on hold but the rover is still going ahead as it would be stupid to buy these golf wheels and drop it.

it is just welding takes some time to learn for a hand position and movement. Before you try it looks easy but while trying it is just hard to keep a hand steady, keep a stick at a specific distance for arcing accounting for the stick melting. When the stick melts the distance increases and if you do not account for it and constantly push the stick closer to metal you will just loose the arc.

My first attempt: 20-25 minutes of trying to unstuck the stick from a piece of metal. I could not move my hand steady and I could not control a distance. The result could only get an arc when I was too close and it made the stick stuck to metal.

My second attempt: 20-25 minutes I was sticking less and sometimes making short 3-5mm weld lines but still could not account for the stick melting and that's why the line was so short.

3rd was like the 2nd, but lines were getting longer and still could not account for the stick melting most of the time and the distance constantly increasing.

My last attempt just right now: I am finally getting how to move a stick and push it closer with every move. I have just made about 50mm long weld.

I believe 2-3 more times of practicing and I should be able to weld a frame for my rover.
Post 64 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia

—-

https://edelkrone.com/products/dollyplus
Post 65 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia

Image courtesy of Geo Week News

Geo Week News (September 26, 2022) NV5 Geospatial Releases New ARIS II Rover
Post 66 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia

Post 67 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Video: CES 2023 | Video courtesy of HIROSE Electric Group YouTube Channel | 15 December 2022

@Wingman

Just the first few seconds of the robots (at Amazon?)

Dan
Post 68 IP   flag post
Sdoughtie private msg quote post Address this user
I just want the balls they used in the movie Prometheus to scan the ruins.
Post 69 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Sdoughtie
I just want the balls they used in the movie Prometheus to scan the ruins.

Dan
Post 70 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Buffalo, New York
GETMYVR private msg quote post Address this user
@Wingman saw this and thought of you

Post 71 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia

Post 72 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia

Post 73 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
I have seen that one with a BD spot dog and even with a BLK360. it sits too low and most of 3D data will be the dog body itself. It is even worse with matterport as unless the dog can work backwards a back of it for mounting does not look like a good spot due to the same reason.

If that's the only spot you can mount scanners/cameras I do not think it will do anything good to anyone.

I still believe for something like this you need a drone. I had some hopes for Skydio but as I understand they have never shown any interior to be scanned using photogrammetry.
Post 74 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia

Post 75 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by @Sdoughtie
So this guy uses his Roomba to monitor his wifi coverage and subsequently create floor plans.

Post 76 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia

Post 77 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia

(Camera is on a robot)
Post 78 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Video: DJI Osmo Pocket 3 + Portable Electric Dolly | video courtesy of Roget Seng YouTube Channel | 1 January 2024

Portable Electric Dolly

I wonder if a 360 photographer will make this work for their needs.

Your thoughts?

Dan
Post 79 IP   flag post
101435 79 29