Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 817 Unique Visitors
9,053 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,913 Page Views | 19,259 Unique Visitors | 28 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
RobotsROSSUnitree

Robots for 360 photographer to automate or semi automate capturing process15111

WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
I hope Dan would not mind especially after we had a chat with him yesterday and we talked about it.

For about two years I have been thinking about using robots to create a remotely driven platform for recording 360 video whether it is going to be used as 360 video as a final product or it is going to be stripped into frames at specified intervals to be used as hotspots for a virtual tour.

In a nutshell without expanding any functionality some already come with remote control apps ready to be driven. The one that I will show first below is over about 50-60x30cm, weights 12kg(important) and can carry 30kg payload.

And you can get it for less than $1000(AUD). They can be made based on Arduino(fantastic platform that is easy to learn and expand with whatever you want including LiDars or RasberryPi platform. The last I know much less about but it can be expanded too.

There is also ROSS platform that is designed for robotics and actually comes with a huge library or coded tasks that can do VSLAM computation and provides a lot of already coded actions for robotics platforms.

I do not know if the one below can support ROSS from a factory for the robot below but I am sure if you are good with coding you can covert it to work with ROSS by just replacing its control board with another one suitable for ROSS.

So here is the robot I am talking about

WT-500S Smart RC Tracked Tank RC Robot.
Please note there are many models with some of them being small and much cheaper but it is better to look either for Wt-500 or Wt-600 and check its dimension, weight and a payload. I am not going to provide a link only in order not to drive their sellers to the WGAN so google for it or check ebay. If you are not good with coding or want to start straight away look for a fully functional assembly. Sometimes it is sold cheaper because it needs a control board, battery and RC control added. The one for $1000(AUD) usually comes fully assembled and you only need to recharge a battery.

With so much weight at a ground level and strong payload capability it should easy drive a heavy camera even on 1 meter pole without tripping over. It can basically drive through any terrain and you may find videos on YouTube with them going over big rocks/roots and easily going over kerbs.

However what is missing here is an ability to climb up and go down steps. It does not look such a big deal. You can always stop it before steps, go from your hiding spot, bring it up/down and keep going on new floors driving it.

And it is kind of ok with me but 2 days ago someone posted a video on LinkedIn about a robot dog coming to the market that costs at its minimum 2700 USD. It not is not so capable in terms of payload and their minimum version for $2.7K can only carry 3kg. However their most expensive version can do 4kg payload and even equipped with LiDar

Plus it can go up and down steps solving this one little problem than a tank robot cannot do.

Here is their website https://www.unitree.com/ and you need to look at their Go1 series

I am currently communicating with Unitree asking of its stability with a Pilot Era mounted on a 1m pole on the back of the robot. I will provide more details once I got my questions answered.
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Just to add a bit, I know there are some platforms for it already available and some are even designed for doing 360 but their cost is usually more than that dog cost and there is no solution with them going over steps.. most of them may even stuck in front of a small obstacle that a $1000 tank or a 2700 dog can go very easily over.

I have also considered many other things I can convert to a robotic platform, just to name them in case somebody is willing to try if they have these things already and do not mind them to be ruined.

The cheapest will be a kids ride on car with a parent remote control: pros supper cheap, cons they are huge and their probably better to be rebuilt into something small using their electronics and driven components only.

The more interesting, robot vacuum cleaners especially though that are equipped with lidar and can actually map a room fast. That would be a pro but cons: they are not cheap, not clear how much you need to rebuild in them. The do have a small footprint but their weight in terms of all driven components may not be able to carry anything.

And the last: mobility scooters. Some come in small factor and used(cheap) but it does require rebuilding them, changing they way they can turn and adding some remote controlling functionality.

So up to two days ago I was planning to get this tank and nothing else. Now with this robot dog that comes equipped already with some cool sensors and functions I am not so sure.
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@Wingman

Thanks for sharing (and I enjoyed our discussion via Zoom yesterday).

The most expensive line-item for scanning is people: particularly for large spaces such as construction documentation of commercial spaces.

Thus, the future of terrestrial 3D/360 scanning/photography likely includes robots and/or aerial drones (such as Skydio).

Best,

Dan
Post 3 IP   flag post
Expertise private msg quote post Address this user
I'm struggling to see the profit making upside here. I still have to pay someone to drive to the house and back, and they have to clear (robot-proof) the house or else this thing will start yanking on extension cords and knocking over vases. Then they have to watch every move it makes (to keep curious homeowners/agents out of 360s) and hang out wait til it finishes.
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia

WGAN Free Service: Text Me 5 Minutes Before WGAN-TV is Live

@Expertise

Imagine that a general contractor contacts you for a quote on weekly construction documentation of a 25-story 500,000 SQ FT commercial office space.

Using a tripod, this project would not be possible.

And the platform for this weekly construction documentation project is likely CupixWorks 2.0: not Matterport.

Dan
Post 5 IP   flag post
Expertise private msg quote post Address this user
OK. Consider it imagined.

We don't have anything like that around here, but it sounds like fun!
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expertise
I'm struggling to see the profit making upside here. I still have to pay someone to drive to the house and back, and they have to clear (robot-proof) the house or else this thing will start yanking on extension cords and knocking over vases. Then they have to watch every move it makes (to keep curious homeowners/agents out of 360s) and hang out wait til it finishes.

Sorry it seems I have not explained it clear enough. I will try to start from a simple use and mention how you can extend each robot functionality if you have desire to learn something new or have a team that already has some technical and coding knowledge.

Before I start I want to remind you that funny video where a photographer and an agent decided to do 360 video of a property and created some sorry for a strong word "ugly" way to do it.

I am sure Dan can recall it and may be can provide a link to the video. The idea was to record a 360 video of a property for a purpose of a 360 degree video inspection. The problem was that somebody would need to carry a 360 camera to record a 360 video and they seemed to spend a significant time to create some frame with a curtain to cover whoever was caring a 360 camera while it was recording.

The word "ugly" here is not for diminishing their attempts, it was just not the best way as it was blocking rear views kind of minimising a field of view that 360 camera can provide.

I think it would be better to carry a camera on your head or simply raise it about your head and hold a pole. Yes you would see a helmet or a person holding a pole at nadir but it is a way better than blocking most of the view with some curtain.

However even in my version of carrying a camera there is one big problem... the camera position would be always too high unless you'd ask to do it a very short maybe 1.20m tall adult or a kid. Both ways kind of unreal as a kid just a kid who may not follow simple instructions how to hold it, how to move etc and an adult at this height is rare and even if you find somebody that short you will still have to pay them.

A driven and remotely controlled robot for capturing 360 video inspection this way solves this problem instantly. Both the dog and the tank are quite low profile, you mount a pole on either of them and they become a tiny spot from a 360 camera point of view sitting say a 1-1.20m long pole.
Then you can cover it with a small nadir logo(yours, agent or business) and you have a 360 with almost nothing unwanted shown in the most field of view. So that's where they come very handy and this is just one use that I wanted to talk below. There are more even using the tank with Matterport but I may come to it later.

Lets start with the dog and I will create another post for the tank.

You say a property needs to be robot proof. I do not think it is a case even if you make an advanced version of it adding sensors to it and extra vision that can define objects so nothing can be damaged in a property. However that is an advanced version and I want to start with simple things you can do with them without any coding, any extra sensors added, with a minimum risk of any damage and basically right out of a box.

With some excitement that there is now a relatively cheap robot-dog that can walk up/down steps I have kind of ignored its main feature.. following a person. So lets go to it straight away.

Now with that in mind you can actually bring it into a property, set it up for an agent and let the dog follow an agent automatically and while the agent walks through a property a 360 camera records all surroundings & record the agent talking about a property.

With a 360 video posted later on YouTube buyers do not need to look at the agent and can set their own field of view rotating it anytime, seeing everything as a live video while still listening what agent says. The dog should stay still if the agent does not move and when the agent starts moving the dog follows him/her again automatically and keeps recording.

You as a photographer can be present and charge more based on time spent or rent the whole rig(the dog, mount and the camera) to the agent with say $100-150/hour rate. The video can be recorded and uploaded later or it can be live streamed. The agent won't need the whole hour to be spent in a property.. so in one hour in cases properties are closely they can do 2-3 property still paying for one hour of using it.
If they cannot get how to operate the whole system you can come and do everything for them charging more per hour. It is still going to cost them much less that involving a person holding a camera and following them and you are just there to set it up and in case something unexpected happens. Or if you want you can manually walk the dog following him turning automatic following off.

if you do not want to use the follow me feature of the dog or the agent does not want to be present in 360 video you can come and remotely control the dog. There will be no bumping into anything as your 360 camera will provide a preview even when it records where the dog is and you simply controlling with a remote where the dog goes, what speed it goes with and all where it needs to turn.

And in a nutshell it does not need to create a 360 video as a final product. I am sure you are aware of GSV video when you record it as a video, upload to Google and it strips it into frames and publish it as a tour with hotspots located close by.

You can create a virtual tour of a property the same way.

There is a free toolset that can strip frames from a 360 video at specified by you intervals. Sure you won't get any location data inside so you cannot publish it the way Google does it for outdoor. However using something like 3D vista and a property floor plan you know which way you have moved so you can lay down stripped frames quite accurate and create a tour much faster. And if you are not happy with 8K(32mp) frames, put whatever system you want on top, drive the dog through a property, stop it where you want to create a hotspot and trigger your system to capture a 360 photo from a system app. Later, if your system provides some API for taking a shot you can add it to your dog with coding and it will stop automatically at specified distance, trigger the system and keeps walking to the next hotspot when you tell it through a remote to go further. Again there will be no bumping into anything as you do not allow it to move by itself, you just code when it needs to stop to take a picture while any movement of the dog is done by you only through its remote control.

Moving to more advanced systems you can build.

How complex it can be coded and enhanced. Just look at some vacuum cleaners and their cost. Apart from time spent on R&D it seems to be quite possible to enhance the dog or the tank to the point that can quickly drive either of them through a property with a Lidar sitting on them to build a simple map of a space.

If very low sitting vacuum cleaners can create such maps so you tell them later where exactly to clean a floor a lidar sitting in the middle of the pole and raised may be 1m from it can build a very detailed floor map that can show where all walls and objects are and even how tall they are and if there is anything hanging from the top that you can bump into. Then with all these details provided as a visual floor plan you can add extras as drawing a path the robot needs to go and where/when it needs to trigger your imaging system.

The tank at $1000 price tag does not have all this but it can have almost any vision or space navigation/orientation system added. The most expensive version of the dog($8K) comes with LiDar already.

The beauty of enhancement that there are plenty LiDars that are better than anything of what we are being offered now in systems like Matterport/iGuide and you can get OEM LiDars that are quite powerful for a few $100s And if you do not mind to invest just under $5000 to add it to your robot that will even beat BLK360 vision in distance and precision sometimes by a factor of 4(100m distance for LiDar). So imagine you may only need to bring the robot into a space and with just one rotation and under one minute + computation time you will find all obstacles and you are ready to draw a path the robot should follow.

And as alternative to lidar you can you cheap depth cameras with VSLAM. There is already library with coding ready to implement based on VSLAM indoor navigation. You can use these libraries to code your functionality fast, you can add extra or modify them to your needs. I would not even think about doing something like this if they do not exist as it seems to be quite complicated for me to deal with defining objects through a machine vision only.

So that my idea for how the dog can be used. The biggest problem with it though I do not know yet of it stability if we add a long pole to its back and mount something heavy on top.

It has not been designed for it so it can be falling to sides under a weight of a camera sitting quite high. Plus the dog walks and it will add some shaking and wobbling to a camera sitting on top. May be you can use specific settings to make it move smooth, add some dumping system to its back but it is still uncertain what to expect. I am sure the spot dog from Boston Dynamics can probably carry even Matterport pro2 and can be relatively stable but I am sure none of us has extra $70000 to purchase it.

I will do another post on the tank later. Even with limited functionality it can be enhanced with almost whatever you want. However even at its initial cost of $1000 AUD that most of us can afford it comes with some basic ways to capture 360 photo or 360 video tours. I mentioned some ways above talking about the dog so it will be much shorter post.
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Now lets talk about the tank. The beauty of it it is cheap for what it can carry and the fact it can move smoothly. I would not use it going over kerbs as the whole system will be sitting at some angle while it does it and it can fall on its sides if a camera sitting on top is heavy. However something like going over a rug should not make it fall.

I cannot say it will work over a rug with Matterport Pro2 because its weight is 3.5kg but if I ever get that tank I will test it. At least all tank weight is sitting low to the ground, it weights a few times more than a Pro2 to and making some trusses support for a pole or simply using even your Manfrotto tripod on a tank with legs locking to a tank will add more stability and it may just work even with small bumps on a floor that the tank needs to go over.

So what the tank can help with right out of the box. since I have done some research I can say there are view variations for full assembled and ready to be used out of the box tanks.

One: you can get it with a RC used for cars so you do not need to use any phone app. The RC should come coded so it should let you go any direction and you should be able to set a speed as well directly through the RC.

Two: you can get it with an android Bluetooth app that will provide all these functions as the RC for a car on a screen of your phone.

There are more variations what operation system they are build on. I personally prefer Arduino since I have experience with it and I can code it. I am sure another version is RasberryPi. As I said in my first post I am less familiar with it but I guess ROSS(robotic operation system) is built on RasberryPi.

Anyway want it simple use the one built on Arduino. It is the processor but still very powerfull system not just because an Arduino board can cost you like $20 but because all electronic components for it including sonars, light detectors can be purchased for $5-10 if not less.

And I know some even powerfull OEM LiDars can be used in Arduino.

I will leave it at this and explain what you can do with the tank without doing a single coding and enhancing it with anything... I just want to add that I have seen a version of the tank I am talking about with sonar sensors installed and coded already at the front of it. Apparently it does not even change the tank cost as these sonars are like $2-5 each. So you may lucky to find one and it even tell you if the tank is close to something it can bump into.

But even if you cannot find one with sonars do not worry as the way you can use it without any coding or adding more hardware should not bump into anything as you are in total control of where it moves and when. You just control it with the RC(app or a toy car RC).

since we are talking about photo or video capture from the tank like in the situation with the dog you are going to use some camera system. Just to simplify it lets talk about a Pilot Era/One EE camera. Both models comes with a PilotGo app. And it does not matter if you do a 360 video or 360 photo you will see where you are where you are going while you move the tank. Unless you want to bump into something deliberately it is hard to imagine you have any problems with damaging anything.

The only two things that the tank cannot do what the dog can:

1)the tank won't go through steps and high raised floors. It can probably go over 10-12cm raised floor due to its tracks design but it will tilt a lot so it may tip over because of the weight of a camera

2)the tank cannot follow anyone automatically(can if you code it and add some beaconing system or computer vision)

I will leave going over steps out of the talk for now but the problem with following not presented in the tank by default can be solved by following an agent manually telling when the tank moves and where trough a remote.

So it ls less advanced vs the dog as there should be someone to control the tank following an agent so you cannot rent it out as it is without adding this feature on hardware/software level but it all does not mean you cannot create an agent follow-up 360 video inspection right out of the box doing it manually.

And if there is no agent needed in your final product you can still like with the dog drive the tank through a property manually using the remote for a 360 video or even for 360 virtual tours built either from 360 video frames or still 360 photo you can capture stopping the tank where/when you want to make one.

There are much bigger robot tanks than I am suggesting, they can even carry a person but they cost $5000 and more.

I do not think we ever need such a great payload capability which also comes with a big size tank but depending on your capturing system weight you may need a heaver tank weight and a bigger body so the heavy camera system won't tip your tank over to a side.

The beauty of this design is that you can make a wider frame changing it from 60x30cm to 60x60cm, then take all components(motors, tracks and electronic) from the tank your have purchased and put them into a new frame.

The tank can carry 30kg payload so you have a lot of weight to add to a tank frame and still have even a 10kg capturing system sitting on a pole attached to it very steady without adding any instability to your system. You are not going to deal with any coding, any electronics, you just move all components as they are from a 60x30cm frame to a 60x60cm frame.

Do not want to deal with building a new frame, get a heavy disk from a dumbbell and fix it on a tank as it is making it so heavy that nothing even a pro2 will tip it over.

And the last as Dan has mentioned it already. Imagine a few 10000s sqf commercial empty space and how much you can spend there scanning it with matterport.

Even with manual tank driving you can comfortably sit in a chair behind a corner and control all this. There is a good voice control in Apple built in iOs, you can create a voice command on your Ipad that will press "Capture" button in the Capture app through Bluetooth headset connect to the Ipad.

You already semi automated a process you just need to move the tank with a pro2, stop it, say the command and it is capturing a scan.

I have done it on my Ipad and sometimes when my hands are busy or I need to hide far away I just say "start scanning" and my Pro2 starts capturing while my Ipad is left on a tripod using more stable connection to a Pro2 and I am walking away.

See you do not even need to use Matterport API and write a single piece of code to trigger your Pro2 sitting on the tank. it can be voice controlled with built in Apple features,

I am sure most of us been on 8 hours jobs and know how exhausting it can be for a photographer to be there on the floor all 8 hours moving a camera. Why not help yourself investing as little as $1000 AUD.

And then when you get it using it as it is you may find a way to completelly automate the whole process when you just put your robot inside, go away and come later with the job done faster with no stress for you and moreover with precision of what distance between scans you want or a straight line they are placed all scans are placed on.
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Buffalo, New York
GETMYVR private msg quote post Address this user
Interesting!
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
I have sold my Iphone 12 Pro finally and have enough now to invest in a tank. However I am exploring my options for anything else preferably not from China.

I have remembered that originally my seller has not even mentioned in their product description that they are using non open source arduino board meaning you cannot add much to it. Only after I contacted them they said they could customise it and put an open source Arduino board so I can add whatever I want later to it.

And I need to correct my mistake above for ROSS. It is ROS, not ROSS.
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia

Post 11 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia

Post 12 IP   flag post
WGAN
3rd Party
Service
Beijing
JuMP private msg quote post Address this user

RMB2999(460USD) for the body only.
600x350x180mm 14kg
can carry 30kg.
Post 13 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Dan I have explored these options but these are very small robotos. Some may be can carry an Insta360 OneX but only if the camera is mounted directly on a robot.

Dan has found that post with a curtain experiment. Here is the thread where it has been shown.

https://www.wegetaroundnetwork.com/topic/12898/page/1/anyone-catch-the-latest-will-360-video-replace-matterport-style-tours-video/
Post 14 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuMP
RMB2999(460USD) for the body only.
600x350x180mm 14kg
can carry 30kg.

Can you please send me a link through DM. I cannot find it with Google. It seems to have a much wider and longer chassis, plus it weighs 14kg. It may be already ok to used with Matterport Pro2. I may just get that one cheaper and add all electronics myself.

My seller is asking $755 for my tank model with everything I need to be installed to start using it out of the box. That includes delivery. I am sure it is in USD but I will check with them.
Post 15 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
I have found a good workshop explaining how to build a robot. He also has a written guide for his videos which you can find as a link under his videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy6tyhBvuw8&list=RDCMUCzml9bXoEM0itbcE96CB03w&index=3

Also yesterday one of 360 photographers posted a picture on his facebook page about him starting building a robot for his 360 camera. He is not a member of WGAN for sure, it is just a coincidence. He is using parts from a smaller robot kit that costs only US$120-130 if not less. However he is going to use his one much bigger frame with these parts.
Post 16 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
I have just placed an order for WT-600 Metal tank car chassis. Here is its specs

Name: WT600 tank car chassis

Material: Steel

Size: about 500*300*120mm (Length* weight * height)

Track Width:40mm

Weight: 8.5kg

Surface: Baking Finish

Track: Zinc Alloy

Motor:12V 40W*2 DC Motor

Speed:About 0-1.5M/s(Optional)

Obstacle Height:about85mm

Climbing Angle:35Ā°

Span Widthļ¼š150mm

Suspended Substructure:16sets

Load: About 30KG

They do not want to ship it with a battery so I will have to source it locally. The price is very good though and all with shipping is less than $730 AUD. Ebay alternative for the same chassis is over $1000 AUD.

I have bought it from a shop specialising in robotics on AliExpress. It should arrive by the end of July. I will keep you updated and post a video once it comes.
Post 17 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Wingman

Congrats! Super-exciting.

Please do keep us posted on your progress.

Which camera(s) do you plan to use with the robot?

Dan
Post 18 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Video: Neato XV-11 Robotic Laser Vacuum Cleaner - (Video 5 of 5)

Video: Neato XV-11 Robotic Laser Vacuum Cleaner: FLIP 'Neato-Cam' - (Video 3 of 5)

@Wingman

BTW, in 2010, I mounted a Flip video camera to my Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum Cleaner. (Please see the videos above) ...

I believe others have hacked robotic vacuum cleaners to program a specific path for video capture.

You can read more about this in this WGAN Forum discussion:

=> Is using a robotic vacuum cleaner an option for creating floor plans?

Dan
Post 19 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSmigrod
@Wingman

Congrats! Super-exciting.

Please do keep us posted on your progress.

Which camera(s) do you plan to use with the robot?

Dan

At first it is going to be a Pilot Era, then I will see how it holds a Matterport Pro 2. I may try as well putting two axis robotic head to mount a dslr and see if I can drive the robot and capture series of photos for photogrammetry. That's all without adding any extra sensors to the robot.
Then I will try to add a LiDar like this one. It can see up to 12 meters around.

https://www.amazon.com.au/Slamtec-RPLIDAR-A1M8-Avoidance-Navigation/dp/B07TJW5SXF/

I am also planning to see if I can reprogram this controller to make it a RC control for the robot and run some camera apps on it.

They are quite cheap to buy, Although I have a drone with it already but I'd rather buy another one to play with it and see if I can adapt it.
Post 20 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Quote:

@Wingman

BTW, in 2010, I mounted a Flip video camera to my Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum Cleaner. (Please see the videos above) ...

I believe others have hacked robotic vacuum cleaners to program a specific path for video capture.

I have been considering it as a robot platform but my hacking capabilities are close to none. Plus they cannot carry much of a load and has quite small weight and body size to hold something heavy sitting on a tall pole.
Post 21 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Buffalo, New York
@Wingman once you have the necessary hardware components you might be able to find a freelance robotic specialist might be able to program very inexpensively (to gain more experience) your robotic 3D camera system. Universities are beaming with future robotic superstars looking for internships.
Post 22 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
That's a good idea because it is not a problem with learning something new it is a problem with picking right components from a start. So far I am focused on Arduino Mega 2560 which is faster than Arduino Uno however may be I need to look at raspberry Pi or a platform that supports ROS. The tank is coming with Arduino Uno which I am familiar with.

They are a good platform that is called Ardupilot. Originally it has been designed for flying drones but they are extending it to boats and rovers. There are even great RC transmitters with 7" touch screen that can work with Ardupilot. They are about $500-700 but come with RC receivers and even with video links.

BTW, I got notification today that my tank has been shipped. Quite fast I must say and hope it comes fully functional as promised. I have already sourced batteries for it locally and they are about $50 AUD.
Post 23 IP   flag post
WGAN
3rd Party
Service
Beijing
JuMP private msg quote post Address this user
@Wingman Suggest you have a look at ESP8266 or ESP32 board.
That will give you wifi interface at the lowest cost and just as easy as Arduino.
Post 24 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
I got the tank a week ago but I did not expect it to be so early and I did not have a battery by the time it arrived. Today the battery has been delivered.

Testing it now and I have created some temporary solution(see the picture) without drilling any holes in the tank body to hold my monopod with a Pilot Era on top. Good news, no way Era can trip the tank over and it absolutely safe to drive it on a flat surface.

However my monopod is not a good solution if extended to 1.4m as it becomes quite wobbly. I have a light stand tripod made of metal and this should do a trick but I need to figure a way to mount it on the narrow tank. And once it is done I will test it with a Pro2 and record a video to show the whole setup.

The tank is great as it is with a Ps2 gamepad, however I have already picked up some great Android based RC controller and I will probably use pixhawk 2.4 in rover configuration.

That all will take time but I promise to make a video before I start expanding it. I am just quite busy with scanning and barely have a day of a break between full day scanning jobs that I have been booked for a week ahead.

The only downside the tank is quite noisy running on ceramic indoor tiles and generally not quiet at all.

See the picture attached. The tile it is standing on is 60x60cm but I have also put a pen for a reference to its size. The track btw are metal and may be one of the reason why it is so noisy on tiles.

Post 25 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by @Wingman
The only downside the tank is quite noisy running on ceramic indoor tiles and generally not quiet at all.

It will chase away pets

Looking forward to your videos. And, thanks for keeping us posted. Super-exciting.

(And, glad that you are busy.)

Dan
Post 26 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Quote:
(And, glad that you are busy.)

That will be another monstrocity. It already has 950 scans and I believe it is not the end. I have two more full days there booked and going there tomorrow and on Saturday again.
Post 27 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Buffalo, New York
Okay so what we need to do is create a auto leveling photography head with a gyro that will automatically perfectly balance itself, when affixed to a moving object or a fixed tripod or monopod. I think this is the only way to get perfectly level camera and 3D VR shots every time.
Post 28 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GETMYVR
Okay so what we need to do is create a auto leveling photography head with a gyro that will automatically perfectly balance itself, when affixed to a moving object or a fixed tripod or monopod. I think this is the only way to get perfectly level camera and 3D VR shots every time

If you mean a Matterport camera then yes but some one click cameras such as a Pilot Era have auto leveling function. So when you use it on a rover perfect leveling is not that important. For anything else it may be worth considering a leveled monopod which simply has a weight at the bottom and keeps a camera leveled. The only problem I do not think it is going to work with a rover accelerating or slowing down. However I have never tested it so it may be just a wrong assumption.
Post 29 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia

LinkedIn Link

@Wingman

You probably saw this, but just in caseā€¦

Dan
Post 30 IP   flag post