Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 817 Unique Visitors
9,053 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,913 Page Views | 19,259 Unique Visitors | 29 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
BatteriesErrorMatterport AppMattterportPro2ProblemsRecharing

Urgent: Matterport Pro2 (Error): Recharge Matterport Camera15086

3DAxs private msg quote post Address this user
Hello Friends! I'm currently on location doing a work.

My Matterport battery doesn't charge fully into 100% anymore since months ago, it only charges 50% or so every time.

My current problem is that I was doing my Matterport Virtual Your when suddenly ipad App showed me: RECHARGE MATTERPORT CAMERA.

On iPad Matterport Pro 2 appears to have 0 battery while on reality it still has 4:45 hours to go.

I restarted my app and camera and Matterport Pro 2 is frozen on 4:45 Remaining.

I tried updating the firmware but couldn't due to having "0%".

I'm stuck here with my client pretty. Embarrassed with no idea what to do.

I've had my Matterport Pro 2 since October 2017.

It's Q356, Model MC250.
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
WGAN-TV Live at 5: Top 10 Matterport Pro1, Pro2 and Pro2 Lite Camera Repairs with @MatterFix Founder Mike Vorce | Wednesday, 11 November 2020

@3DAxs

MatterFix Founder Mike Vorce (@MatterFix) discusses Battery issues in this WGAN-TV show.

Can you scan the transcript to see if that's helpful?

Transcript: WGAN-TV Top 10 Matterport Pro1, Pro2 & Pro2 Lite Camera Repairs

Wish it was better news ...

Best,

Dan

Free! 12 months of WGAN-TV Training Academy Membership with repairs of $250 or more.
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@3DAxs

Here's the portion of the transcript of the WGAN-TV Live at 5 show (above) where Mike (@MatterFix) discusses battery issues:

--

- Okay, so for current pricing, go to MatterFix.io ... Top 10 Matterport Pro Camera Repairs: battery issues...

- That should be probably number one. Battery issues are... Here's the infamous Matterport battery. It's a 4s lithium ion battery pack. Puts out ... When it's fully charged like I think 14.6 volts. It's really a very quality battery pack that they had designed. But, invariably what happens is ... people have multiple cameras and they set one of the cameras aside and forget to charge it.

And, like all lithium ion packs, they have a safety feature. And, if they get down below a certain voltage, the management board will say, "Hey, you've gotten too low," it cuts it off and won't let it charge.

So what you'll see is: in your Matterport camera; either none of the batteries were a charge or, in the Pro1 and Pro2 you have two batteries... It may go up to 50% and then not charge any more than 50%, which means one of the batteries is not charging.

You'll plug it in, it'll show you the charging symbol, a little charging bolt for a couple seconds and blink the slow blink, like it's charging. But then within 10, 15 seconds; it goes to the fast blank and the charging bolt goes away. What that's telling you is that the safety features kick on and it's not going to let the charger charge the battery.

- Okay, so I think what I'm hearing is the first problem that a Matterport Pro would notice is; everything looks cool that the battery is being charged. There's every indication I'm looking at my battery light. I haven't turned off at the moment, but if I look at my battery I can see it looks like it's charging; but then, I go to use the camera and it is not taking the charge, the camera's dead.

- No, it won't look like it's charging. If you look at it may act like it's charging normally for a few seconds, but typically; it'll go to the fast blinking light and it won't be charging. You push the button, there's no charging bolt.

- So this is my Matterport Pro1 Camera. Gee, I thought I turned it on. It says battery life remaining: five and a 1/2 hours. Is that, I guess you can't see it there.

- Now that's normal it's when you plug the charger in that you're going to see the issue.

- So if it says five and a 1/2 hours, then I'm good to go, that's not going to be misleading.

- No, that's not going to be misleading.

- Okay, so when do I know that it's not charging.

- When you plug it into the charger and the charging bolt doesn't show or after a few seconds, it goes away. And instead of doing the slow blue blank for charging it does kind of a rapid double blink. And, you'll know there and you push the button, you look at that little charging bolt that shows when it's charging is not there.

- So batteries have failed; what's the solution?

- There's some fixes we can do on the Pro2 and the Pro2 Lite. Or, so they can possibly be prepared. And get to where they can be recognized by the charger or they have to be replaced. The [Matterport] Pro1 ... the only way we have to fix those battery packs if they've gotten too low is to replace them.

- And how much?

- Yeah, the battery packs... It's $250 for one battery pack, and it's $350 if you have two battery packs that need to be replaced. So it's $250 for the first one and it's an extra $100 if both battery packs need to be replaced.

- When you open the camera and you do this replacement is MatterFix also doing some kind of check on the inside to make sure things are connected tightly, there's nothing loose?

- Yeah, typically, anytime we go into a camera, we're going to check all the connections; all the cable connections, the screws; make sure the housing; a lot of times when a camera takes a fall even though you don't notice anything some of the front housing, the screws on the side have come loose and it shifts a little bit, so we kind of check everything receipt at all and put it back together, correctly while we're in there.

- Okay, so as I mentioned, I've had my Matterport [Pro1]; my Matterport Pro1 3D cameras since July, 2014, it charges fine, not have had any problems. So, how do you avoid this problem? So this sounds like a problem that can actually be prevented if here's why the batteries will fail.

- It can definitely be prevented. Charge your camera up every couple of months ... Put it on a calendar, do something, put a reminder on one of your apps and just take it out, charge it up every couple months, you'll be fine.

- Is that all it needs, is every couple of months? It's not once a week, once a month, it's literally every couple of months and you're cool?

- Every couple months are fine you can actually go longer but to be safe, I suggest every two three months at most, but two months. As long as you've charged it fully, you can let it set for several months but don't go too long.

- I imagine this comes up where a company has more than one camera, perhaps Matterport Pro1 Camera is the backup spare camera, it's not going out in the field. And, all of a sudden it's been sitting on the shelf for three months and boom, the batteries fail and now you're missing a backup camera because you don't...

- I have three Pro1s now that I think that's the situation they have. Pro2s and I think the Pro1s were backups and they sat for too long and now, battery issues and every one of them.

- Okay, this is super-helpful because this is advice this is actionable advice, so that you don't have to pay MatterFix to put some new batteries in.

--

Dan
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@3DAxs

Did you ever let your battery run down to zero - say placed in a closed for a few months without use/without charging?

I am guessing - based on Mike's discussion above - that the battery no longer takes a charge (even if it is indicating that it is partially charged).

Is that the issue?

Dan
Post 4 IP   flag post
Matterport
Camera
Repair Service
Gainesville, Florida
MatterFix private msg quote post Address this user
That’s the first time I’ve heard of that happening! Have you tried plugging it into the charger to see if it will get it out of the mode it’s in now? Other than disassembling the camera and disconnecting the batteries, that’s the only thing I can think of....it has to be some glitch that has locked the camera up. Doesn’t help your current situation but at www.matterfix.io we do battery replacements on Matterport cameras ($250 for one battery, $400 for both).
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
Like with drone batteries it could be just unbalanced cells. There are chargers that can balance them but you need to have leads and know which contacts on a battery for each cell. Plus of course it can only be done by taking the battery out and connecting to the charger directly.
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@3DAxs

Were you able to complete your Matterport scan?

Any update on "what happened" / "happening" ...?

I hope it worked out for you.

@MatterFix @Wingman

Thanks for your thoughts in trying to help @3DAxs ...

Enjoy your weekend,

Dan
Post 7 IP   flag post
Matterport
Camera
Repair Service
Gainesville, Florida
@wingman The batteries in matterport cameras are built with a balancing / charging (BMS) board in them, so they do not get "unbalanced". They do have a kill switch that will permanently disable the batteries if the charge drops much below 7 volts I believe. The operating voltage for the packs is approx 16.2 volts when fully charged down to apporx 11 volts at which time they will "cut off" until charged again. One of @3dxas camera batteries is "dead" and needs to be replaced....but that should not have caused the issue he's describing...has to be some kind of software glitch that should be able to be resolved if he can get it out of the mode it's in now (make it do something different, like recognize the charger) and then reboot it.
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
@MatterFix I have thought it is the case that they do balanced charging but so all DJI drones do that too but somehow they got unbalanced.

I have one that has come unbalanced directly from DJI. I am getting a charger soon and I will see if I can fix it. I would not spend money on the charger just fixing one battery but I need a charger that can discharge my drone batteries to storage levels.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Matterport
Camera
Repair Service
Gainesville, Florida
Yeh, I've heard a lot of people talk about issues with drone batteries. Because matterport uses high quality 18650 cells in their packs and uses a good BMS board, I've never run into an unbalanced battery pack in a Matterport camera. They do have the annoying "kill-switch" feature though that will permanently disable the packs if the voltage gets too low (I think around 6 volts)....so always keep your Matterport cameras charged to 50%+ !!
Post 10 IP   flag post
101636 10 10
This topic is archived. Start new topic?