Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 473 Unique Visitors
9,024 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 40,828 Page Views | 20,383 Unique Visitors | 46 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
How toiGuideIMS5PtGui

iGuide IMS-5 panorama sample15006

WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
I'd like to share a pano that has been captured with iGuide IMS-5 system. I have helped to stich it in PtGui for an owner of the IMS-5 system.

There is no exif data in jpgs and PtGui fails to do it until you specify a correct sensor size of a Canon camera used in IMS-5 and a focal length of lens used.

I have found that a focal length is 5.6mm and you need "Four thirds, micro four thirds" sensor size for PtGui to stich it correctly.

Here is the resulted pano. The final resolution is 7382x3691

When I asked the owner why they wouldn't want to use iGuide to build a tour it turns out that their client's space is quite big and the client does not want to pay extra for the tour. They are asking for 9 panos to be captured.

so you can use iGuide to capture all pictures for panos with IMS-5 and after stitching you can do a tour on any other platform.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Matterport
Camera
Repair Service
Gainesville, Florida
MatterFix private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks for the pano sample! How do you think your sample would compare with the same shot captured with the Z1 camera standalone? The IMS5 uses the Z1 as its camera, correct? Maybe the IMS5 uses custom settings to get better imagery?
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
A Z1 should be close as it is about 23MP in resolution while IMS-5 gives you about 27MP. However I must point again that we are talking about using IMS-5 as some kind of a motorised nodal head just to capture 3 sides for stitching panorama manually and use it outside of IGuide platform.

If the owner has bought IMS-5 to be used that way only it is kind of waste of money as you can get your own dslr setup for 360 capture with much better(a few times more resolution) for less than a cost of IMS-5. I am sure it has not been the case and she is just trying to be flexible with a client who does not want to pay for building an iGuide tour.

As for the IMS-5 itself it is iGuide first capturing system and it uses a Canon camera and fisheye lens while the one with a Z1 is a new system called Planix.

See them side by side this url
The one on the left is the IMS-5 It is hard to see that it is using a Canon camera at this angle but if you zoom a bit you can see Canon written on it. Not sure why iGuide says in their table they are similar in resolution while they are slightly different.

I was always looking to see a sample 360 from some systems including the IMS-5. So once I got my hands on what the IMS-5 can produce just in order to help with stitching I thought it would be a good idea to share it.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Kumar private msg quote post Address this user
@MatterFix IMS-5 uses a canon slr with fish eye. The latest Planix uses Z1.
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
It seems I need to collaborate more on what settings should be used in PtGui for IMS-5 photos to be stitched correctly. This came after a few attempts to explain the owner in words what and where she needs to change. However after I made screenshots she could follow it correctly.

So I will repeat the original instructions with visuals.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I have found that a focal length is 5.6mm and you need "Four thirds, micro four thirds" sensor size for PtGui to stich it correctly.

After you drop 3 photos from IMS-5 onto PtGui a sensor size dialog will pop up. You will need to select "Four thirds, micro four thirds" from the "Choose presets" dropdown. Once it has been selected, all values will be populated automatically. The dialog should look like this

DO NOT change anything manually. Just click ok.

After this dialog is gone another will pop up. This time you need to specify a focal length for the lens being used in IMS-5. The value is circular fisheye with 5.6mm FL so you need to type 5.6 into a text field for a focal length. Once it is done the dialog should look like this

Again only one value should be set, nothing else needs to be changed. The type of the lens will be shown automatically based on the value of the lens focal length. Just click Ok to close this dialog.

You should end up with these settings(highlighted in yellow an circled in blue) shown before alignment

You are almost done. Click Align Images, wait for PtGui to align them. It will open a new window to show stitched pano. I have not run in any problems with stitching but if you do you may need to add control points to fix stitching errors. However I believe there should not be any stitching errors as IMS-5 most likely to have their lens aligned to a nodal point.

If you do not need to correct errors close the window that shows stitching by pressing a cross at the top right corner. Now you need to click Create panorama which will be an active button after the alignment is done.
Post 5 IP   flag post
101272 5 5
This topic is archived. Start new topic?