Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 817 Unique Visitors
9,053 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,913 Page Views | 19,259 Unique Visitors | 28 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
FarmingScraping DataSneaky

Matterport Scraping Data - Contact clients direct14967

Gerhard private msg quote post Address this user
So this is not the first time this has happened.

I have created two sample scans for this client 3 months back and have started the scanning work for them 40+ scans of their hotel. I have been working now over 3 years to get all their business 140+ properties , I have already written to the head of Accor in France telling them not to use Matterport as their data is not secure.

The sample tours had his contact details in them, as he is the sales manger for the hotel and a friend of mine.

This morning he sends me this e-mail from MATTERPORT , spamming him for business out of the UK here in DUBAI.

Why is Matterport doing this?

THIS s@#$%ˆ&t needs to stop now from Matterport. They just do the hell what they want to do , they dont care about us the MSP's at all.

What is happening with that class action lawsuit , and I hope there is something new getting launched soon that can crush Matterport once and for all.

Post 1 IP   flag post
MeshImages private msg quote post Address this user
There is a simple way to stop this (in Germany).

In Germany we have a so called Datenschutzbeauftragter in every city and in every state. Translation would be data protection officer. They take care about this. And they work for you - for free - because it is an offical institution.

You could start there by complaining about this business behaviour. In Berlin it would be just a phone call followed by an email.

Matterport will be facing serious trouble if they don´t stop this - especially in the EU. And sooner or later Matterport will have to publish these legal cases in the risk section of their annual report. This whole Matterport Scan Services issue can blow up the company. It´s a very short-sighted behaviour.
Post 2 IP   flag post
MarkJohn private msg quote post Address this user
Im not saying you are wrong ....you know more about this than I do but your friend Elwin K***ing is on Linkedin.

Are you sure the email isnt just a speculative email? Have any of his colleagues had the same email?
Post 3 IP   flag post
GarySnyder private msg quote post Address this user
This has been going on for years, I've lost clients due to MP poaching them. It's a simple fact as I stated more then 5 years ago. MP sales team needs to hit their monthly targets and the best place to look for leads especially warm leads is in MSP's scan data.

MSP's are most gracious as they happily include their clients details in their showcases. I quit shooting MP scans years ago as MP ignores the EU Data Protection Act as they ignore any efficacy towards their MSP.

@MarkJohn I suggest you go back at least 5 years in this forum and read where MP has stolen clients from MSP's as well as directly competed with them as San Francisco and London comes to mind.
Post 4 IP   flag post
MarkJohn private msg quote post Address this user
@GarySnyder I dont use Matterport so I was unaware of the fact that they have previous form for the same thing. In Gerhards case his friends details do exist elsewhere...so as far as Im concerned my point was valid until you shone a light on the bigger picture...
Post 5 IP   flag post
@MarkJohn This is not the case. I have two live models with his latest email address on it. This was not sent to his personal email. Scarping data of Linkedin na 5 year old can do that. Have another 40 I need to complete the edits on. But today Matterport went one step too far.

What @GarySnyder said is the truth , and myself and him had lengthy discussions about this in the past.

I have also contacted Matterport official reseller for the Middle East here I Dubai today and raised my voice as this is not acceptable at all. I am waiting now for a response from Matterport that we will never get, as they are cowards all of them, doing sneaky business.

But lets hope and pray another better tech comes along , that treats us better , gives us self hosting options and a fair playing field. Treat us like customers and not employees.

What happened with that Class Action Lawsuit ? Was this shared with their IPO gang ?
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by @Gerhard
So this is not the first time this has happened.

WGAN Forum Related Discussions (Find these search the tag: Sneaky)

Matterport targeting Collaborators?
Matterport contacting your clients to sell them cameras
Contemplating hitting the War Button with the Sales Team
Smoking Gun: Proof That Matterport Markets to Collaborators (Your Clients!)
Another MP Attempt At Poaching Clients?
Has this happened to you? Will this happen to you?
Matterport pitching pets to buy a Matterport Camera (Really)
Example of Matterport Being Sneaky to Farm and Market to Your Clients
Matterport using your tours to sell Cameras to competitors?
Matterport Sales Team Farming Your Clients?
Matterport are contacting my clients.

I posted the following to the WGAN Forum on 22 February 2018:

Quote:
Originally Posted by @DanSmigrod
Hi All,

On more than one occasion, Members of the WGAN Forum have alleged that Matterport Camera Sales people are farming their clients from using their recently published Matterport Spaces 3D Tours. See an example from today below my signature (Thursday, 22 February 2018).

I simply can not imagine that Matterport leadership thinks that this is happening and does not condone this in anyway if a Matterport Sales Person is violating its company policy.

I would like to give Matterport leadership the benefit of the doubt.

Seems like Matterport needs to state:

1. Processes and procedures are in place to prevent access to the MSP database
2. Processes and procedures are in place to create a log of access (whom, when, what purpose)
3. Processes and procedures are in place to prevent Camera Sales team from seeing a real-time publishing of Matterport Spaces
4. Publish the policy that states that any Matterport Camera Sales person that does outreach based on internal or external knowledge of Matterport Spaces will be let go immediately.
5. Explain how Matterport retargeting/tracking works. For example, I publish a model, my client (real estate agent) looks at it, is my client now receiving re-targeting ads related to buying a Matterport Camera
6. Publish a copy of the Matterport Ethics Policy (that includes addressing concerns of Matterport Service Providers
7. What other processes and procedures that are in place to prevent marketing or sales from farming MSP clients?
8. How does Matterport deal with unintended consequences? For example, if there incentives for selling cameras, are Camera Sales people mining data (search for URLs of Matterport Spaces?
9. How else is Matterport pro-actively handling these allegations?
10. Has Matterport acknowledged that ethically, this is an unacceptable business practice?
11. What ethics training is in place for new hires and for the entire existing employees company wide?

What else should we ask Matterport on this topic?

Have you experienced farming of your clients by Matterport Camera Sales?

thanks,

Dan

--

Your thoughts?

Dan
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
Dan, please do a video with RJ Pitman again and he needs to explain this. He has promised they will never do it again.
However they are doing it over and over again.

It seems it is not enough for them to put their Capture service offer in front of every user signing in to their own Matterport accounts.. They still send emails to collaborators emails. I have received one recently on my dummy email that I have been using to stop this behavior of Matterport in the first place.
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Wingman

I will reach out to Matterport about scraping data - and using Collaborator accounts - to solicit Matterport Service Provider clients.

Best,

Dan
Post 9 IP   flag post
@Wingman I agree with you 10000000% get him on and lets listen to the smallest violin in the world playing
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Wingman

P.S. I will reach out to Matterport tomorrow - instead of today (Wednesday, May 26, 2021) since Matterport will announce earnings later today (and are likely scrambling to be ready for their first public disclosure of 1Q21 fiscal results.

Thanks for your patience.

Dan
Post 11 IP   flag post
Spoke with another MSP I my area , an Matterport also contacted a very big client of his directly while he is still shooting a project for them. This company is a joke and needs to get exposed. When are we chatting with RJ or are they just focused on their IPO and dont give a s.... about us.
Post 12 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerhard
they just focused on their IPO and dont give a s.... about us

That's why all this happening in the first place imho. It has started with IOS devices capture. They'd need positive data that they have grown in subscription. So what they have reported about more users joined I am sure it has come from people with Iphones. And I believe their boost in revenue is coming from new plans.
Post 13 IP   flag post
101640 13 13
This topic is archived. Start new topic?