Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Buy 360 CameraiGuideiGUIDE PLANIXPro3Question of the Day

Question of the Day>What Features will be in the Matterport Pro3 3D Camera?14659

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
WGAN-TV How Matterport Will Scale Exponentially Short Story #728 - Are 360º 1-Click Cameras a Threat or Opportunity for MSPs?

WGAN-TV Matterport Pro3 3D Camera in Development; Likely Release by 12/2020 Short Story #729

Video: WGAN-TV 3 Introduction to iGUIDE PLANIX Camera Kit (and Demo) with Planitar (iGUIDE) Marketing Manager Chris White (@Chris_iGuide) | Thursday, 18 March 2021

What Features will be in the Matterport Pro3 3D Camera?

Hi All,

The WGAN Forum Question of the Day for Wednesday, 14 April 2021:

It seems like the Matterport Pro3 3D Camera is (way) overdue.

Will the Matterport Pro3 3D Camera be a 1-click LiDAR camera for $1,000 less than the Matterport Pro2 3D Camera (as iGUIDE has done) or a 1-click LIDAR camera – or rotating camera – priced between a Matterport Pro2 3D Camera and a Leica BLK360 Camera/Scanner?

Will outdoor "scans" continue to be 360 Views or 3D Scans?

Will the Matterport MatterPak – and file conversion process – be improved for creating As-Builts?

On July 15, 2019 I wrote:

Matterport Pro3 3D Camera in Development; Likely Release by 4Q/2020

That was based on my WGAN-TV interview with then Matterport Chief Marketing Officer Chris Bell on 11 July 2019 (WGAN-TV Short Stories #728 and #729 above).

And, back in this post, WGAN Forum Member @MeshImages wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by @MeshImages
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeshImages
I would like to see a superfast 1-click Matterport Pro3 camera, which works inside and outside.

Superfast with lenses similar to an Insta360Pro (for 3D 360 images).

And of course with an improved set of 1-click 3D sensors. Also suitable for exterior scans. And with a better scan radius.

And it would be nice if the Pro3 Matterport platform would integrate with additional drone images, so we can create a complete 3D dollhouse featuring an inside view and an outside view.

And from the AEC point of view I would like to see better OBJ data from the scans with less polygons and an improved set of textures.

WGAN Forum Member @leonherbert wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by @leonherbert
I personally would like to see laser scanning integrated, think BLK. This may be what they are looking at, because I saw something about looking for a developer for laser scanning on their available jobs in the past. Personally I like the fact the camera turns around, a one click does not work when you have nowhere to hide. Of course a 180 x 2 would work. (if camera turned faster, i would get better cardio)

Would be cool if you could markup as you scan, i.e. add information to a scan while scanning.

WGAN Forum Member @Kumar wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Kumar
Form factor - this should be interesting. Starting from the size, weight. No doubt it is the battery which is adding mostly to the weight. Replaceable NP batteries should be way forward to keep things tidy.

Laser must be another feature to bring in to make sure outdoor is addressed. 10ft range for alignment should be still great improvisation - BLK360 is not for everyone.

And, this exchange between WGAN Forum Members @Wingman and @mori

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Wingman
Quote:
Originally Posted by @mori
As Occipital is cooperating with GeoVC I do not think MP will use a occipital sensors in the next gen. Maybe the new Intel LiDAR camera L515: https://www.intelrealsense.com/lidar-camera-l515/

I think I have mistaken GeoCV with Matterport. GeoCV is for sure using an Occipital structure sensor. You can even see this sensor in their kit. Not so sure about Matterport now after you reminded about GeoCV. There is no much information about hardware they use in Matterport cameras.

As for Intel sensor it is quite impressive with its 9m range. I think Matterport can reach 5m only.

Since my WGAN Forum post nearly two years ago, it seems like iGUIDE has been reading WGAN Forum discussions:

iGUIDE PLANIX is the 3D Camera Kit Matterport Wished It Created

So, iGUIDE has set the bar high for the next generation of a Matterport Pro3D Camera with it's $2,199 iGUIDE PLANIX Camera Kit (including case) that includes:

1. LiDAR “sees” up to about 130 feet versus about 50 feet for Matterport’s structured light
2. 1-Click Camera (Ricoh Theta Z1)
3. More

What are your thoughts?

Bonus Question: And, when do you think the Matterport Pro3 3D Camera will be released?

Best,

Dan

WGAN Forum Related Discussions

✓ WGAN Forum discussions tagged: Pro3
Matterport Pro3 3D Camera in Development; Likely Release by 4Q/2020
Matterport Pro3?
iGUIDE PLANIX is the 3D Camera Kit Matterport Wished It Created
Post 1 IP   flag post
MeshImages private msg quote post Address this user
I guess that the Pro3 will be released with the Going public probably in July 2021.

My Pro3 will feature further improvements in speed and quality such as 1 click lidar for inside and outside scanning and an improved range similar to the BLK360.

Furthermore an image quality like today with 360 resolution of about 140 MP.

Maybe the Pro3 will also integrate with the new skydio drone, which features autonomous 3D capture.
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Boxborough, Massachusetts
toddwaddington private msg quote post Address this user
Very exciting.

Hopefully it will have advancements with Lidar and point cloud. The images are great coming from the Pro2. I don't think the current market begs for more. That is what DSLR panos are for. That's a different system and a different (but welcome) client. But I do think exporting to RAW would be a great feature. More ways to access assets from the hardware other than downloading a Matterpack. And although it hasn't been an issue--yet--a removable battery or proprietary battery back-up charger, something that attaches without being cumbersome would be nice. OK, those are just a few wish list items.
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
Look at this list of affordable OEM LiDAR systems that you can buy currently in one online shop.
https://www.robotshop.com/en/rotational.html?dir=desc&order=price

So it does not have to be an Intel one only as some of the listed devices on the link above have ranges over 100m and they still won't break anyone's bank. Even small and cheap ones can see further than 5 meters.
Matterport has much more choices now and it is only a question what price range their new camera is going to be and how much money they are willing to put in R&D.

As to what it is going to be rotating or not I believe the most important it should be smaller than a Pro2 & 3D data collection must work in full sunlight. If we had to vote
I would have chosen not rotating one with multiple lenses and a 360 rotating LiDAR.
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
BTW, I have somehow limited a choice by rotational systems only. There is much more to choose from if you do not need a rotating device.

if you use this link it will show 2 times more https://www.robotshop.com/en/lidar.html
Post 5 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
I think it's a safe bet that the pro 3 will serve to function as a BLK 360 replacement. I would not expect too much change in image quality.

While I think it would be nice to have a smaller device that would function as a one shot, proper 3D lidar cannot be achieved without rotation. The iGuide it's only using lidar for 2D.

If Matterport were able to improve scan time, it would be amazing. However, I really doubt that you can improve scan time very much if you're capturing with lidar.
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by @MeshImages
Good question also for 2022 😉

The Pro3. Well, I think that Matterport must produce a Pro3, because they are the owners of the platform and the market will probably not develop a dedicated device for Matterport.

But I don't think, that the Pro3 will be a one-click—camera, because it will take too long for the photographer to hide. The rotation makes sense.

But also for a rotating Pro3 there is a lot of space for improvement compared to the current Pro2. My first 3 would be

- Silent capture (for this single purpose I would probably make the investment)
- Better lidar - in resolution and range
- Fast capture (10 secs)

Hi All,

Above from the WGAN Forum discussion:

Question of the Day: Matterport Pro3 3D Camera in 2022?

Dan
Post 7 IP   flag post
101436 7 7
This topic is archived. Start new topic?