Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
jscottsmith private msg quote post Address this user
How do you all handle travel expenses? 57.5 cents per mile plus drive time can really add up. Here's the options I see...

A - Eat it all yourself (no charge to client)
B - Include up to a certain distance, then start charging
C - Charge client for all travel time.
D - Limit your work area

I guess I could add:

E - Only work outside of a particular radius if the project is large enough, or if you can arrange several scans in the same area
Post 1 IP   flag post
playermaker private msg quote post Address this user
$50/ w/i 1 hr drive time- a "set up fee"- if it's 5 or 60 mins down the road. Hope most orders are closer to home. 57.5 is your write off. Your in business to make money,unless you are a NP. Beyond your 1 hour add $50/hr.
Post 2 IP   flag post
danmorell private msg quote post Address this user
Hi @jscottsmith,

I've always found this difficult no matter the industry. In the end you want to ensure you are capturing the right opportunities while keeping in mind your time and energy.

Personally, for the right job, I'll fly out on my own dime with a retainer or % up front.

Large majority of times, I will look at each request as a unique opportunity.
- How much will the job pay?
- Is this an opportunity to work with someone who will be a repeat client or have residual billing? Look at the lifetime value of the opportunity.
- Will this client be easy or a hassle to work with?
- Do I have anything else better to do? Maybe I can visit the area and see friends?

I'll have a set region with no additional fee. I'm traveling to provide a service and travel expenses are already included.

Beyond my primary region, it depends on where the job is and the time of day. If the job is in downtown Los Angeles or San Francisco at 5:00pm, there's going to be an a travel fee.

This fee could be based hourly, by mile or by how much you want to travel to the job. You could drive 20 miles in LA but it could take you more than an hour.

If it's going to be a quick easy drive but outside my area, a lot of the answers above come into play.

I realize there's subjectivity to my response, my apologies. Some takeaways:
1. Look at each job outside your region on a case by case basis.
2. The easier the pricing is for the client, the easier and quicker you'll get jobs. (plus is easier for you)
3. There's an opportunity cost to sitting on your couch vs. working hard for a new client who may bring in $1k's in the upcoming years.
4. There's no easy 1 size fits all response to your question.

Hope this helps in some fashion.
Post 3 IP   flag post
101429 3 3
This topic is archived. Start new topic?