Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 817 Unique Visitors
9,053 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,913 Page Views | 19,259 Unique Visitors | 29 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
GimbalsInsideMapsiPhone 12 ProMomenzoPilot EraPilotTourPro2VersusXiaomi Mi Max 3

Matterport vs InsideMaps vs PilotTours Plus momenzo video14404

WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
I am paying a small fee to a business owner tomorrow for providing their business retreat to create three different virtual tours(Matterport, InsideMaps & PilotTours) and do a sample video with the Momenzo app.
I will use a timer to see how long it takes to do a tour/video with each tech.

For Matterport I will use a Pro2, Pilot Era for PilotTours and Iphone 12 Pro for InsideMaps.

I am not sure what I am going use for the Momenzo but I think I'd rather go with my Xiaomi Mi Max 3 vs Iphone 12 Pro where you cannot even control camera settings with their native camera app. And I do not think I will use a gimbal as it seems to be faster just to do all moves without it.

I will post all results in this topic once they are all ready.
Post 1 IP   flag post
HarlanHambright private msg quote post Address this user
Matterport dammit
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlanHambright
Matterport dammit

It is what it is. I cannot just ditch it if I have a lot of requests for it specifically. However being it all good it does take some time to scan a space to create a nice dollhouse for it.
I cannot drop my fees for Matterport for agents/businesses who do not appreciate all the work and quality of Matterport. However I can offer them much lower rates if I can do a tour faster with other tech.

That's the whole reason of doing all these tomorrow. I will have a few examples of the same space and I will for sure know how fast I can do Inside Maps or Pilot Tour. Then I will just figure out which one I want to stick with as alternative and offer my fee based on an hourly rate I want to earn.
Post 3 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
@Wingman I appreciate people like you that are willing to take the time to do this so others can learn from the work you put in to compare the different technologies. It will be great to see the data and side by side comparisons.
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by @ron0987
@Wingman I appreciate people like you that are willing to take the time to do this so others can learn from the work you put in to compare the different technologies. It will be great to see the data and side by side comparisons.

Like @ron0987 said. Much thanks!

Dan
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Ok, got some numbers but tours are still processing.

The retreat was actually much bigger than I expected. It was a 4 bedroom house with estimated floor area size about 200-220 sqm. On top of that it was raining and Pilot Tours gave the biggest problems.

Matterport tour took about 2 hours with detailed scanning(no black void in a dollhouse). About 115 scans.

Inside Maps took about 50 minutes. It could be much faster(probably 2 times) if you do not need to press a few buttons, in order to choose rooms.

I will confirm the number of spins after processing but I believe I have done 40 or more.

Now PilotTours. I actually has not been going to offer it to my customers as I know at this state it is super limited and you cannot even edit hotspot icons that are all over a tour. However I have been looking to try to capture the whole property with it and it must be quite big.

It started really well and in 15 minutes I have about 20 spins and more than 70 % of the retreat space captured. Then it stuck on generating an image, my phone disconnected from the camera and the only way to get Pilot Era back was to restart the camera.

I started again and the same happened after 15-17 spins. I restarted the camera again but this time I decided to use the camera only without connecting and controlling it with the Pilot Go app.

And yet it happened again, the camera stuck on generating. I was going to shut it down the same way I did twice before and pack it. However instead of restarting with the power button pressed it popped up a dialog saying if I want to stop capturing a pilot tour. I decided to keep going. It did two extra spins and again went to that "generating" state again but this time no dialog popped up and the camera simply shut down.

These abrupt Pilot Tours have been actually saved in my camera in the gallery. When I found them there(I was sure they were lost) I just thought what the heck it'd better to see a pilot tour with what's captured than not see any pilot tour at all. However they all throw a file exception error when I try to upload them. I think they are corrupted because the camera was not shutdown properly. BTW, it seems if anything happens during Pilot Tour capturing I do not see any way to come back and continue capturing the same space. You must start over from a scratch.

But what is so cool with Pilot Go is that it actually tracing your walking with VSLAM and you can see all your path while capturing with spins shown as dots.

As for momenzo video, that was not hard to do at all and I did not use a gimbal. At least my Smooth 4 giving me more problems with unexpected panning than helping with anything. I will need to learn about the gimbal more.
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Here are the results:

Matterport(Pro2)

Inside Maps(Iphone 12 Pro on a Hero rotator)

I forgot to mention that the rotator(at least mine) has a big play even when it is screwed on completelly. If you do not use some kind of a threaded ring to fix it from the bottom the phone a)will be tilted becoming unleveled horizontally and b) the phone will be shaking at every panning or tilting.

Momenzo video will be posted later. I will also check with Labpano if I can recover and tun into a Pilot Tour what I could capture.
Post 7 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
@Wingman Thank you for posting I was only able to go thru part of models but my initial view I think the colors are a little flatter in Insidemaps. What is your overall take on these two models and your thoughts in support or against. Thank you again.

Ron
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
It does look flatten and it seems like it is using much less colors which is visible very well on both shots on the lawn behind a property. I am not sure why it is so bad in resolution. It is ok on an ultra HD monitor but on a 4K one it is not looking good at all.

And re a Momenzo video, I am trying to get it to my PC from my iphone but it is not working. Can somebody tell me if you have any problems with receiving emails sent from Iphone/Ipad?

It is not the first time and it is a big problem as most of them simply lost on their way even when it is used with drop. I have sent myself two with the momenzo video and none has come to the email it has been sent to.
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
And here is the momenzo video

It can start playing as 720P but you can switch to 1080P in youtube player.

I cannot say I like it especially a start. It was raining and it may be washed out because of some fog and rain drops on a lens. I am not sure why it is so fast at the beginning. This has been taken as guided video but I think they do not really give you a lot of time to make nice moves. It is only 5 sec and unless it can be changed somewhere in settings it may be better to do it in Pro mode and then use short video clips to assemble in Momenzo.

Not sure about if needs changes to be done in video settings especially changing it to manual mode.. but there is very little you can change in this Iphone model.. we have finally arrived at a point where Apple thinks they know better how to capture and most camera controls are now gone from Iphone 12 Pro.

BTW, I gave up to get this video sent through email from my Iphone. I received a couple that were send more than 4 hours ago with Mail Drop but Maildrop only states that the video will start downloading shortly. Nothing has started to download even with 1 hour & nothing happens if you click Try again. After a few attempts I gave up to use anything that is made by apple to get the video, installed Google drive app on my Iphone and got the video in 2 minutes.
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
I think we all are interested to hear from InsideMaps why I cannot get the same quality as their tour shown on their page at https://www.insidemaps.com/industries/real-estate

I tried to ask them a few times to explain it and I was told it'd need some update to their app. I believe there has been two updates to the app already which fixed to some degree amount of noise on black colour. However the low resolution & faded colours of my tour comparing to their example keeps bothering me a lot.

Can @InsideMaps_Gabe or @Inside_Maps explain what the problem is and can we expect any fast fix or it is a pretty much a final product quality with devices that are currently allowed for InsideMaps?

For me to offer it to my customers the resolution of a tour produced must be a few times better to match at least their example. Iphone 12 Pro camera is not that bad when used standalone and it does produce great resolution & colours with its 12mp sensor. However I am only holding on my Iphone 12 Pro because I hope it can be fixed for InsideMaps.
Post 11 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@Wingman

I reached out to @Inside_Maps about your questions/comments. @Inside_Maps writes:

---

We are about to release a capture pattern that will improve the quality significantly, but it will also make the capture process slower.
The current capture pattern will be available as well, but as a wide-angle faster capture mode.

In the current setup, we basically sacrificed the quality over speed, but we are about to take care of that and provide the user both options based on the preference.
The color pattern that we used in our showcase that you mentioned above has been changed due to complaints that the colors don't match the reality. Some of our clients complained that the colors were over-saturated, so we decided to go with a more neutral version.

We are constantly searching for the sweet spot when it comes to color saturation, brightness, and contrast. Within the next few releases, you may see some improvements on that as well and we are keen to hear your feedback.

Please take a look at our candidates listed below:
(I made a few copies of your projects so you can compare them easier) That is also the reason behind the issue with the cloned project that you saw.

Original InsideMaps Example

InsideMaps Clone Example 1 with Different Coloring Scheme

InsideMaps Clone Example 2 with Different Coloring Scheme

InsideMaps Clone Example 3 with Different Coloring Scheme

The overall sharpness and the improvement on the grain in the dark areas will be improved with the slower high-quality capture pattern as well.

The issue with the verification has been resolved as well.

Please let us know your thoughts.
Our customer support team will be here to assist you quickly and effectively.

---
Post 12 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Thanks Dan. I should have posted here that I contacted support with my some of my questions and got their reply. I can see some improvement so I will hold on my Iphone 12 Pro for a while.

We heed to mention that InsideMaps does not charge anything for an account if you buy Hero so it all tours done under it are free for me. I do not remember if you need to do tours with Iphone 12 Pro to get this offer.

As for variations shown it seems to be less noise in the first one but colours I guess are better in the last one.

In fact it is not so bad for interior views, only the front(the start) is not so good. However it was taken under raining so there could be some drops on a lens when it was captured.

As for verification, it does not seem to be resolved. The app still says I have to verify my email. I have just done it twice and it is still asking for verification.
Post 13 IP   flag post
101636 13 13
This topic is archived. Start new topic?