Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 817 Unique Visitors
9,053 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,913 Page Views | 19,259 Unique Visitors | 30 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
9to5MacLidarNews

Matterport iOS app adds iPhone 12 Pro LiDAR support for creating 3D Models14285

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
9to5Mac (18 February 2021) Matterport iOS app adds iPhone 12 Pro and iPad Pro LiDAR support for creating 3D models

Apple’s aspirations for AR have yet to make mainstream waves but we’re seeing improvements for some of most popular early use cases like 3D modeling. Matterport for iOS, an app that makes it easy to create a 3D model of any space with your iPhone or iPad has released an update today to support the LiDAR sensor on the iPhone 12 Pro and Pro Max and 2020 iPad Pro.

Source: 9to5Mac
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
I guess that what was in their beta app through TestFlight. Tried it specifically for this feature. It assumes that you are going to scan a whole space with Iphone. Even though you may try to switch to Iphone capture to assist capturing with a Pro2. The only problem it is still a manual rotation with an Iphone and it will produce stitching errors.

Since I have an Iphone 12 Pro now I have bought a motorised tilt pan head. It is for sure should help to avoid stitching errors. I will post here when I get it and try.

I do expect resolution of 360 pictures to be worse that you can get from Ipad 2020 pro simply because it has a 20MP sensor while Iphone 12 Pro comes with 12MP. The head I've bought has 500G payload and an Ipad Pro 2020 is slightly heavier. If I can find a way to mount the Ipad on the head somehow I will do both Ipad and Iphone versions.
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
I forgot to mention that at least when you capture with IOS devices the app measures and tells you how good you have been rotating around a vertical axis. If offset is too big it offers you to rescan or accept the scan & use the captured data.
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
After trying it on their production app I must say it does things differently.

First it will exhaust you on Iphone when you need to align the last circle with the solid dot. For some reason that dot is jumping away once it is inside a circle.. so it is more like a game to finish a spin with Lidar scan. I tried it on Ipad 2020 Pro and it seems to have a similar problem but I caught it faster.. it took me more than a minute on Iphone.

Second but it is from memory and it may not serve me well.. I believe in testflight version of this feature you were allowed to do two row scanning(as in a complex scan) with IOS lidar device capture but in production version you do only one row(as you would do with a simple scan). As a result you only get half of vertical plane captured from a middle to almost nadir, everything else above the centre and Zenith is all blurred.
Post 4 IP   flag post
101635 4 4
This topic is archived. Start new topic?